Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 11:58 AM

13 posts, read 28,158 times

Advertisements

Here's the background:
I am a single mom of an amazing 4 year old. Her father left when she was only 6 months old. We were never married. I have been on my own since then. I am in a low paying but stable job because it is a true 9-5 job and it makes our lives possible. Her father remarried about 2 months ago, and now his wife is pregnant with a new baby.

Here's the problem:
I've fallen in love.

He is a doctor who went back for a Ph.D. in Bioengineering who is incredibly smart, fun, kind, and loving. He chased me for a year before we started dating, and my daughter says "No one will ever love you as much as M___." We are on the marriage track, but not married. We have had all the essential pre-marriage talks, and again as my daughter eloquently put it "he already is family."

He was given an amazing, once in a life time job in Philly because his friend from college started a new Bioengineering company and he want my boyfriend to head the biomedical division. He will be making a very good salary, and, more importantly, he will be given an amazing amount of professional freedom.

He wants me to move with him, but it is my understanding that the state of Illinois will not condone removing my daughter from her father. I don't want to out maneuver my ex to force him to let us move. I don't think it is in our daughter's best interest. The court process can bring out the very worst in people. I am looking for some advice on helping my ex to see that having me happy is in our daughter's best interest. I know, I might be asking for a miracle. I don't want to ruin my daughter's life though, just so I can be happy. And having her father resent me will certainly be something he uses to torture her. I would appreciate any ideas, at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 12:30 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,474 times
You need to state what your court order says. There you will find out if you even need his permission.

But you need to think about this....a guy who has NEVER asked you to marry him. I think you should move on...this guy just isn't that into you and you are setting yourself up for heartache. And more importantly- your child's.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:12 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
You can probably entice your ex by agreeing to lower child support payments, but there's no reason to even start the discussion until you are getting married.

It's not stable to move the child across the country to merely live with someone. You need a solid committment from Mr. Bioengineer before you even consider moving.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:07 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
But you need to think about this....a guy who has NEVER asked you to marry him. I think you should move on...this guy just isn't that into you and you are setting yourself up for heartache. And more importantly- your child's.

ITA....do not move with this man until you are married. End of story.

Why would you do that to your child?

Old 08-26-2010, 06:20 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
Are you sure you are in love? Or are you just infatuated with his career?

It sounds more like you are looking for someone to save you than marry you...

I've seen it happen to a lot of girls. They move somewhere with a guy then they break up then they are SOL in a new city.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:21 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Definitely not just to shack up with some guy who has money. "Married track" doesn't really mean much and to take your daughter from her father just for a live-in lover is not the right way to go about it.

You said you've been on your own - does that mean no child support from your ex-lover? If he pays no child support and isn't part of the child's life, it shouldn't be too hard to get permission from him - if you have to do that in order to move out of the state. Threaten him with back support if he doesn't terminate parental rights.

If he does provide financial support and maintains a relationship with your daughter, then you have to consider that and taking her away from her other parent, making it difficult for him to have visitation is the wrong thing to do.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:33 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
would it be any easier or more legal i fyou were married? exs remarry and move out of state all the time. Your legal arrangements-if you have any- should spell out what you agreed to or not. I agree if you are getting no help from the ex and he is not apart of her life then you should do what is best for you which should be best for your child- after all she cannot miss what she doesn't have.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:41 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
The concern that I'm seeing, is that you are currently employed and taking financial responsibility for your child, as well as full custody. Should you move with your boyfriend, you will, by default, become unemployed until you can find a job in your new location. During this time of ridiculously high unemployment, that isn't something you should be counting on.

And - should the relationship not work out, since you're not married to the guy, he has no legal obligation to support you. So you could go down there, things not work out, and you end up unemployed and homeless, with a child to raise, in a place you don't know anyone.

If, on the other hand, you have money saved up, enough to support yourself and your child independently for a year or so - then the financial problem isn't a problem at all, and your risk vs. reward ratio is more balanced.

Your happiness IS important. No doubt about it. I'd just be more worried about that nagging little "what if it doesn't work out" issue than anything else. I think you should feel more comfortable if you have an "escape route" or "plan B." If your ex isn't in your daughter's life anyway, if he doesn't take advantage of any visitation rights he might have - or if he has no visitation rights awarded by the courts, then his rights aren't an issue at all.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:10 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
One important element is visitation. What kind of visitation privileges does the father have? If none, or if he has failed to exercise them, then you're pretty much free to go. If he does have visitation guarantees, they you're either bound to meet them as they are, or renegotiate them.

However, I will say this. Illinois is incredibly slack, and in all probability, if you just go away, he can scream all he wants and the state of Illinois will be too backlogged with cases to pay any attention to him, or follow up on anything they do order.

Pay no attention to the posters who have psychoanalyzed you and given you failing marks. Live your own life, and do what you think is best for you and your family.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:45 AM

897 posts, read 2,455,257 times
I was going to say the same thing- what are the visitation rights? does he see the child on a regular basis? read the papers to find out then wait to get a ring....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting