Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2011, 08:51 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times

Advertisements

Hopes, what about cold pasta salads?

bowties + lots of chopped veggies (carrots, bell pepper, broc, zucchini, etc.) + chicken + sesame dressing
rotini + veggies + olives + chicken or a little bit of pepperoni or salami + Italian dressing
spaghetti + thinly sliced chicken + sliced green onions and carrots + peanut butter dressing (I have a recipe if you want)
If you use whole wheat pasta or one with added protein (Barilla Plus), you don't have to use a lot of meat. They are very filling. Or you could make other sandwiches like turkey meatloaf (I had this yesterday for lunch), curried chicken salad with grapes (super good), cranberry cashew chicken salad, egg salad, turkey salad with egg and pickles.

Another good salad is spinach or spring mix + red onion + veggies (cukes, carrots, whatever) + deviled eggs on top with mustard dressing. You could pack him up some bento boxes with all the separate components so nothing gets soggy.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:52 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Did I get the first "look" of the new thread?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
DH doesn't care for tomato soup though ( - not sure how this is possible. I suspect his mom made it with water not milk and now he has tomato soup negativity that won't budge ).
I can't stand tomato soup, even with milk, especially with milk. The thought of it makes me sick. The only time in my life I was ever forced to clean my plate was when my dad made grilled cheese and tomato soup. (I wasn't raised by parents who belonged to the clean plate club, but Mom was out of town and he was stressed out.) I got sick IMMEDIATELY afterwards. Never ate tomato soup again in my life.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Hopes, what about cold pasta salads?

bowties + lots of chopped veggies (carrots, bell pepper, broc, zucchini, etc.) + chicken + sesame dressing
rotini + veggies + olives + chicken or a little bit of pepperoni or salami + Italian dressing
spaghetti + thinly sliced chicken + sliced green onions and carrots + peanut butter dressing (I have a recipe if you want)
If you use whole wheat pasta or one with added protein (Barilla Plus), you don't have to use a lot of meat. They are very filling. Or you could make other sandwiches like turkey meatloaf (I had this yesterday for lunch), curried chicken salad with grapes (super good), cranberry cashew chicken salad, egg salad, turkey salad with egg and pickles.

Another good salad is spinach or spring mix + red onion + veggies (cukes, carrots, whatever) + deviled eggs on top with mustard dressing. You could pack him up some bento boxes with all the separate components so nothing gets soggy.
Thanks for the ideas, Julia! I have made some pasta salads to switch it up, but you have some great ideas to spice them up. I could use left over meats for protein the salads instead of just nuts. Love the meatloaf idea. That's one meat that tastes good cold. Now that he's going to take his portable refrigerator (instead of just a cooler) I can add mayo and eggs into my ingredients.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:58 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Speaking of Bento Boxes, Trader Joe's had ready made ones, very good.

Hopes - what about wraps? You can pack the wrap and the innards separately so they don't get soggy. Does he eat quinoa? There are some nice cold soup recipes with quinoa, salads too. It's very filling, and has a fair bit of protein.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Hopes - what about wraps? You can pack the wrap and the innards separately so they don't get soggy.
Wraps would be a nice switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Does he eat quinoa? There are some nice cold soup recipes with quinoa, salads too. It's very filling, and has a fair bit of protein.
I've never heard of quinoa. I googled it. Interesting. I'll try some cold soups and see how he likes them.

I should see if there is an electric or battery operated thermos for warm soups. I don't know how many power outlets are in the truck.

Oh, that inspires me! Maybe I can find a crockpot that is safe to use in vehicles!

Old 09-14-2011, 09:14 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
Hopes - I'll second how good quinoa is. There are some great recipes for it on allrecipes.com.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:15 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Ooh, wraps. I haven't made those in a while. Mission makes some interesting tortillas: sundried tomato, garden spinach ... I think there's a jalapeno one.

Definitely going to experiment with quinoa! If it's filling and has protein, it sounds perfect for adding to many recipes!

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
My mother's heart will be full this weekend. Four whole days of being with my family (grown daughter, son - lives with us - college) and my whole extended family!

We are all headed from Florida to Newport Beach, CA for a destination wedding!! Can't wait!! Heard it gets down to around 60 at night. Sounds nice.
You should have a wonderful time, Bette! I'm very happy for you. I checked the weather 70's during the day and mid 50's at night. Perfect! You are in for a real treat.

I hope you get some very clear days. One of my favoite things is to be out on the water and look towards the shore and see the beach and the hills. If it's clear you can also see the mountains in the distance.

Have a great reunion with your family. Be sure and have a Balboa Bar or a chocolate-covered frozen banana in Balboa. I love walking around the Fun Zone early in the morning munching on a Balboa Bar.

If you have time stroll around the shops on Balboa Island, take the ferry, and shop at Fashion Island. (FI is pricey, but even if you don't shop it's a great place to people and dog-watch.)

I'm sooo jealous. Have a great time and don't forget your hankies.

Morning all. It's in the 70's here!! Yeowza!!!!

Old 09-14-2011, 09:18 AM

This is really weird. I heard someone mowing my grass. It's hubby! He wasn't supposed to be home for another day or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting