Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2011, 06:05 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,117,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Media whores?
Your post made me chuckle.

I've wondered if this 20th baby had anything to do with the Kardashian wedding?

You know ? Like...

"JimBob! Our ratings are slipping!!! Do me!!! Quick!!!"

Because, at the end of the day this is about "reality" (LOL) TV. And ratings and money money money. Cha-ching.

At least the Kardashians have good haircuts and clothes that fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 06:48 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,257,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post

Wonder if their oldest boy and his wife are going to follow in their footsteps and have as many children as possible?
They've already had one, maybe two, and I saw in an interview where they said, yes, they are going to continue the Duggar business.......er, I mean tradition.

You know how they've done these studies about how many offspring one unspayed cat can be responsible for? If that cat has two litters a year and each of those babies, also unspayed or neutered, have however many babies, and on and on? I wonder if anyone has ever done a similar study for the Duggars? Twenty kids, each having twenty kids, and those each having twenty kids..... Holy moly!

Old 11-09-2011, 06:50 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,257,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Sadly, I think that the Duggars have wrapped their whole persona in having kids. At this point, I almost think it is a pathology.
This.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:31 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
The girls help out with feeding, bathings, schooling, etc. I'm sure they clean toilets and dust, too. They boys also mow the lawn, cut down trees, etc. Its called responsibility. They don't do it all the time, there are 20 of them, they all chip in. I've seen that they rotate responsibilities, like one is responsible for the kids wardrobe room. So if they are short on socks or pants, she is responsible for buying some. The other one would be responsible for the pantry, making sure if there is a sale on flour, or whatever, she stocks up. I think that's wonderful to teach responsibility and delagation, and she's doing a great job.
Teaching responsibility is one thing, but turning the older girls into teen moms is wrong. I'm all for chores, but I've watched and read enough about this family to know that the girls are responsible for the meals and laundry. Does Michelle ever cook or do any housework? Obviously she taught the older daughters to cook, but now the job has been passed onto them.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:09 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
I agree^^. There is a difference between taking care of a little sister or brother for a bit, and being responsible for taking care of kids all the time. Michelle is either down sick pregnant or nursing. The bulk of the work in that house is on the other kids. Those kids can't go to school, or get jobs, they are needed at home. They don't get their own lives, they are living their parents lives. Even the oldest son, Josh (?), he is running his Father's business. It is interesting. I think they are kept so busy, they they don't think about what they want, or could even do with their lives.

As a parent, I was always encouraging my kids to try new things, see the world, ON THEIR OWN, not as a family unit. There is the family, but also the individual. And while the Duggars allow their kids to do things, it is always as a family. No one is encouraged to get out, and spread their wings. Seems very strange to me. But, again, those kids can't leave, who would take care of everything?! Mama is too busy birthing babies.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:23 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I roundly object to the name Jinger. It looks like it should rhyme with singer.

I don't see the point in the Duggars' continuing to have children when 1) they already have so many, 2) they are increasing the odds of having a child with Downs or other disability, and 3) it's very easy not to have any more babies. At this point I feel like they are gambling on their baby's health, particularly when the last one was premature. What if this one is also premature and develops cerebral palsy or other debilitating disorder--or dies?
Then I guess that they will deal with the challenges of a child with such disorders, or the death of an infant, like any other parents. Thankfully, they have a very good support system built in.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:24 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,176,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I agree^^. There is a difference between taking care of a little sister or brother for a bit, and being responsible for taking care of kids all the time. Michelle is either down sick pregnant or nursing. The bulk of the work in that house is on the other kids. Those kids can't go to school, or get jobs, they are needed at home. They don't get their own lives, they are living their parents lives. Even the oldest son, Josh (?), he is running his Father's business. It is interesting. I think they are kept so busy, they they don't think about what they want, or could even do with their lives.

As a parent, I was always encouraging my kids to try new things, see the world, ON THEIR OWN, not as a family unit. There is the family, but also the individual. And while the Duggars allow their kids to do things, it is always as a family. No one is encouraged to get out, and spread their wings. Seems very strange to me. But, again, those kids can't leave, who would take care of everything?! Mama is too busy birthing babies.

The older kids are not even home most of the time, so please tell me how they can be doing all the work. Here is yet another example of only seeing a show and assuming that is how their life is 100% of the time.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:33 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
Then, perhaps the show should focus on how the other children are moving on with their lives.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:51 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,197,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
My TV has around 300 channels, how many does yours have?
Apparently, you have more choices amongst attention whores than I do.
If I am to assume your point is that I have the opportunity to change the channel (or better yet, turn it off, since that button works too), that is correct. I have that right, and that ability. But when someone chooses to put their personal business on "reality television", they choose the whole package. Jim-Bob and Michelle don't get to only take the parts they like: the free air time for proselytizing, the free home improvements, the celebrity and the money. They get the parts where people debate their choices on open forums, the parts where they're roundly criticized, the vagina-as-clown-car LOLcat cartoons, too. Personally, I wouldn't choose to drag my life through the mud like that. More to the point, I wouldn't expose my kids to that kind of experience, even if it did catapult me into the much-vaunted "higher SES" category. In that respect, I would throw the Duggars in with those other parents of the year candidates, Jon & Kate Gosselin, the Toddlers & Tiaras moms, and the Kardashians.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:51 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
How is it selfish for someone to chose to have 20 children or for someone to chose to not have any children? It's not. It's a choice that each person/couple makes based on their own set of beliefs, goals etc. There is no right or wrong here. Just because its wrong for you or me does not make it wrong for everyone. As I have stated a couple of times Michelle had the SAME issue with her second pregnancy (Jana and John David) she then went on to have many healthy pregnancies afterward before having any issues again. Heck she could go on to have 10 (used as an example) more pregnancies and may not see complications again, or should could have complications with this pregnancy (I hope not). Fact is we do not know what will happen at any time.

People have complications with the first pregnancy does that mean that they too should never have another child again even if they are cleared by a doctor??
I know you have said you are related, and I understand trying to protect your family. But complications from Michelle's second pregnancy seem irrelevant to me. That was something like 20 years ago. Almost 20 babies ago. She's at an age where the baby is much more at risk. And I don't buy the "It's God's will" defense. If it's okay to allow your premature baby to be rescued by modern medicine because God made doctors and NICUs, then you can listen to the doctors who warn women about having babies in their late 40s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting