Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 09:43 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,852,168 times

Advertisements

Robert De Niro is 68 years old and a surrogate just delivered another baby for him a few days ago. He will be 86 before this child becomes an adult. I would love to be able to say 'Congrats on the new baby", but I am having a hard time of it with this one. I feel (remember I said feel) that at that age it is very selfish to keep having kids. There is a very good chance that this child's father won't be alive to see her graduate from High School much less college.

Does anyone else feel that 68 is just too old to have a baby?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 09:48 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
really? I hadn't heard that. Yes, it is just too old IMO.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:52 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,454,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
Does anyone else feel that 68 is just too old to have a baby?
Is it a rhetorical question?

One of these kind:

Is 15 years old too young to have a baby?
Is having $40-100K in student loan debt too irresponsible to have a baby?
Is divorcing when your child is 10 too risky to have a baby?
Is falling ill to a disease when your kids are in middle school too risky to have a baby?
Is having menopause when your kids are at a tender teenage age too irresponsible to have a baby?
Is using a donor egg too technological to have a baby?
Is using a surrogate too selfish to have a baby?
Is discussing other people's private lives any of my business?

Old 12-27-2011, 09:53 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,358,833 times
Talk about skipping fatherhood and heading straight for grandpa status. congrats Grandpa De NIro...lol.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post

One of these kind:

Is falling ill to a disease when your kids are in middle school too risky to have a baby?
Is having menopause when your kids are at a tender teenage age too irresponsible to have a baby?
What?

Old 12-27-2011, 10:13 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
I think 68 is too old but celebrities live a different lifestyle. Many have nannies raising the kids.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I think 68 is too old but celebrities live a different lifestyle. Many have nannies raising the kids.
I understand that and I thought about all of that. He doesn't have to chase his 2 year old around the house at 70 or hold the back of her bike and run along to teach her to ride a bike in his 70s, etc. He has people for that. However, no nannie is going to be able to walk her down the aisle when she gets married at 25 (with any luck he will be 93).

I just feel that having babies at this age is increasing the odds by a lot that this child will lose one or both parents before she is even an adult.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:36 AM

144 posts, read 307,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post

I was thinking that too with the Nanny thing. These celebraty kids probably call there nannies momma when they speak there first words.

I definitly think 68 is way too old. My DD came along when I was pushing 42. And I feel bad enough about waiting that long. Deniro will probably be in the grave by the time the kid graduates college (maybe even sooner who knows.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:45 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,904,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post

One of these kind:

No, you never know what will happen in your life (the general you, not you personally). I didn't get the sense that this was a condemnation of someone else's life by the OP, rather a jumping off point for a discussion.

IMO, I wouldn't want to bring a child into the world that late in my own life. Statistically speaking, the likelihood of the child losing his/her parents would be much greater and I couldn't live with that, so to speak.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:35 AM

17,391 posts, read 16,532,427 times
Now that his schedule has slowed down a bit, he might have more time to spend with this baby. When he was younger he was working a lot and he probably wasn't at home very much.

As others have pointed out, this man can afford the help of nannies, wet nurses, etc. So hopefully he'll have many years to love and enjoy his child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting