Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 04:30 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,501,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
So did I!

I pushed the knob thingy on the toaster all the way down so their Pop Tarts wouldn't be cold.
Ha! Love it. Sometimes I wonder if I'm taking this food thing too seriously.

I cook a big breakfast most days. My reasoning is two-fold. I have two slightly underweight kids who eat best in the morning, so bacon, eggs, toast with butter, is all good stuff for them.

Secondly my mom was a SAHM (as am I) and a great one but she never made me breakfast, drove me nuts, so I do.

I could probably get more calories in them if I stuck to Pop Tarts right Dew?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 04:38 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Ha! Love it. Sometimes I wonder if I'm taking this food thing too seriously.

I cook a big breakfast most days. My reasoning is two-fold. I have two slightly underweight kids who eat best in the morning, so bacon, eggs, toast with butter, is all good stuff for them.

Secondly my mom was a SAHM (as am I) and a great one but she never made me breakfast, drove me nuts, so I do.

I would say that if breakfast is their best meal of the day, give them a big one. If I made that in the morning, they would nibble on a piece of bacon and maybe eat an egg.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:49 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
I had a wonderful Polish grandmother who made everything from scratch. She'd get up at 4am to make bread for the day. She was into healthy eating and organic produce. Canned vegetables she grew in her own garden. One morning, while she was visiting us, she saw the Pop Tarts in the cupboard and said, "I wish we'd had these when I was a young mother. It would have been so much easier."

I stopped feeling guilty after that.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:43 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,488,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I had a wonderful Polish grandmother who made everything from scratch. She'd get up at 4am to make bread for the day. She was into healthy eating and organic produce. Canned vegetables she grew in her own garden. One morning, while she was visiting us, she saw the Pop Tarts in the cupboard and said, "I wish we'd had these when I was a young mother. It would have been so much easier."

I stopped feeling guilty after that.

Sounds like my mom. Even as a teenager, when I was more than old enough to get up and make myself something to eat, I would come down to a full, hot breakfast every morning before school. My own poor kid is lucky to get Eggo waffles, cereal, or oatmeal in the morning.

I do try to make up for it on Saturdays, though.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:50 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Timely thread as I have just started a low carb (Atkins) diet and I asked doc if low carb was healthy for my children. he said definitely. So I have started frying bacon, scramble eggs and half piece of toast for my two 9 year old skinny girls. I usually make a big carb heavy breakfast at least once on the weekends and they usually eat cold cereal, bagel or toast on week day mornings.

When I started with the bacon/egg breakfast I asked them to be especially aware of any difference in how they feel at school, especially before lunch. Both reported they had more energy and were not as sleepy. I found that fascinating.

They were certainly not sleepy due to not enough sleep as they are usually in bed by 8 p.m. and up by 6:30 a.m. on school days.

But I am having a hard time with frying bacon in the morning. Microwave bacon is such a big mess with multiple paper towel soaks to be changed and in the skillet is a big mess too. I have never baked or broiled bacon in the oven but know I will need something to drain the fat that is for sure.

Also one of my daughters has braces and she says citrus fruit is bad and not allowed. I must have missed that. So one girls gets a clementine for breakfast and braces girl gets milk. Now they both enjoy decaf tea and hot choc which they can make themselves.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:04 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
My kids don't eat big breakfasts.

My oldest likes: Buttermilk smoothies (buttermilk, sweetener, frozen berries), oatmeal, fruit, or yogurt.

My middle will only drink chocolate milk. He doesn't like to eat much in the morning.

My youngest likes a muffin, cold cereal, oatmeal or yogurt.

All are easy. I would be happy to make them eggs or something hot but they don't really want it (except for oatmeal).

Old 01-07-2012, 10:01 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,852,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Timely thread as I have just started a low carb (Atkins) diet and I asked doc if low carb was healthy for my children. he said definitely. So I have started frying bacon, scramble eggs and half piece of toast for my two 9 year old skinny girls. I usually make a big carb heavy breakfast at least once on the weekends and they usually eat cold cereal, bagel or toast on week day mornings.

When I started with the bacon/egg breakfast I asked them to be especially aware of any difference in how they feel at school, especially before lunch. Both reported they had more energy and were not as sleepy. I found that fascinating.
I have IBS and frequently I feel a little nauseated in the mornings. I typically can only handle an English muffin or a few pieces of toast. When I get to work half an hour later, I end up RAVENOUSLY hungry- I feel like I could chew my own arm off. If I manage to eat a little bit of scrambled eggs instead, it keeps me fuller much longer. Protein does make a different, especially at breakfast when you're struggling to wake up.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:05 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Both my husband and I work, and we love breakfast, so we wake up a bit earlier to make breakfast for all of us to order. Mostly it's scrambled/boiled/fried eggs or omelettes, cereal, toast, oj, lattes, even smoothies.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:33 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,373,634 times
We freeze choc chip pancakes from the weekend, and also buy the frozen sausage muffins. Instant oatmeal (Dinousaur Eggs) or bagels. We make eggs and bacon/sausage about twice a week. Ours eat in the morning best as well.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:56 PM

831 posts, read 1,583,180 times
My oldest is 13 and is not a big breakfast eater. She will eat something very light if I make a fuss with her. Some of her favorites are yogurt, 1/2 an English muffin with peanut butter or a slice of cheese, a strawberry smoothie, toast with Nutella, applesauce, a cheese stick or a handful of trail mix.

Her school starts at 8 and her lunch is at 10:15. When she gets home at 3:15 that is when she is really hungry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting