Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 10:31 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
There are some DILs that require walking on eggshells around. I have one. I learned very early not to make what I considered friendly overtures if they could in any way be construed as criticism, despite that not being my intent AT ALL. Example: Sent my DIL some favorite family recipes that my son loved. Whoa.

Could I criticize some of her actions? Of course I could. We recently went up to visit for the first time 7 months after the wedding, and there was no food offered the entire weekend. She thought we would take them out to eat every meal. We did our best not to over-impose by getting a hotel room.

But our son shares that responsibility. He grew up in a house with regular visits from friends and family with hospitality extended to all. She grew up in a home with little cooking done by her mother.

We have a cordial relationship, that will hopefully grow into a warm one, in time.
Ugh, I hope so but from what I read before about your DIL. Don't hold your breath. I still think she is a spoiled princess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 01:10 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Ugh, I hope so but from what I read before about your DIL. Don't hold your breath. I still think she is a spoiled princess.

I agree I think she is spoiled and I hope her children learn from their father and not from her . That girl needs a good lesson in manners and my goodness it does not take much to have a cake in the icebox and make some coffee . Then again she might break a fingernail . She reminds me of my sister in law who does not offer us anything either when we visit . I cant visit her home because she has cats and Im allergic and my brother asks her to put them away in a bedroom but she becomes a wife -zilla and gives him the silent treatment for about a week . So i simply told them I would visit them at work instead of their home . I would say I feel sorry for my brother but I dont he could take care of that real quick if he felt like a battle but he walks on egg shells .

Old 01-20-2012, 02:16 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Honestly, I have come to the conclusion that it is my responsibility to bend to her, not the other way around. Maybe one day she will respect me for the mere idea of being the mother of her husband and the grandmother of their children, but she was raised differently than DS, and it is what it is.

I can either insist she see things my way, and lose them both, or follow their lead. I am not willing to lose my son.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:39 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Honestly, I have come to the conclusion that it is my responsibility to bend to her, not the other way around. Maybe one day she will respect me for the mere idea of being the mother of her husband and the grandmother of their children, but she was raised differently than DS, and it is what it is.

I can either insist she see things my way, and lose them both, or follow their lead. I am not willing to lose my son.
It sounds like you went through a very difficult situation.

For sure there is something positive about this. You have decided to be flexible, even though you call it bending to her. This will allow you to keep an open mind and be able to learn the unwritten rules of certain families, which would mean the rules of their society.

You already know what to do, which is follow their lead when it comes to dealing with their family.

Good for you for figuring this out and from what I can tell, handling it quite well. It is a difficult lesson to learn. For sure you get a pat on the back.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:39 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Smart lady, that Mattie.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:47 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
I met my MIL 10 minutes before our wedding. I was the second wife and I knew MIL and first wife were very close, even after their divorce. This had nothing whatsoever to do with me and it really didn't bother me. Actually I like first wife but that is another thread.

Anyway we were married 5 years before we finally had a baby. She lived several states away and didn't get to see us often but she saved her leave and her money to fly to see us whenever she could.

One visit when son was about 2 she walked in the door from the airport and could see I was a basket case. She sat my husband, her son, down and said "This woman needs a break and I want you to take her out of town for a few days and show her she is special and let her know she is appreciated." Up to that point I hadn't even had a baby sitter for him. Off we went to a B&B in Savannah for a wonderful change of pace. I will never forget such a generous giving spirit she had. I wish she could have been in our lives longer. Sadly she was killed in an auto accident on her way to chemo.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:47 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Smart lady, that Mattie.
Indeed. It is a wise person who chooses what will work over being "right."

Re: the OP, I have a "challenging" MIL and grand-MIL. We all love each other, but have very, very different ways of being. Over the years, we've hammered out a better understanding of each other. We're good on a macro level, and it helps that we live several states away, as I could see day-to-day irritations coming up frequently for all of us if they were local. I honestly think a lot of the run-of-the-mill MIL-DIL problems (not the serious abusive kind) stem from personality and family-of-origin differences.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:59 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,789 times
Quote:
I met my MIL 10 minutes before our wedding. I was the second wife and I knew MIL and first wife were very close, even after their divorce. This had nothing whatsoever to do with me and it really didn't bother me. Actually I like first wife but that is another thread.

Anyway we were married 5 years before we finally had a baby. She lived several states away and didn't get to see us often but she saved her leave and her money to fly to see us whenever she could.

One visit when son was about 2 she walked in the door from the airport and could see I was a basket case. She sat my husband, her son, down and said "This woman needs a break and I want you to take her out of town for a few days and show her she is special and let her know she is appreciated." Up to that point I hadn't even had a baby sitter for him. Off we went to a B&B in Savannah for a wonderful change of pace. I will never forget such a generous giving spirit she had. I wish she could have been in our lives longer. Sadly she was killed in an auto accident on her way to chemo.
How wonderful. Doesn't it seem obvious that a woman would treat another this way? My Mom would never have walked into one of her childrens' homes and looked for something to pick apart. She'd send the new Mom (daughter OR DIL) right to bed for a much needed nap and quietly scrub the oven bakes some bread and cook enough dinner for a week.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:08 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Indeed. It is a wise person who chooses what will work over being "right."

Re: the OP, I have a "challenging" MIL and grand-MIL. We all love each other, but have very, very different ways of being. Over the years, we've hammered out a better understanding of each other. We're good on a macro level, and it helps that we live several states away, as I could see day-to-day irritations coming up frequently for all of us if they were local. I honestly think a lot of the run-of-the-mill MIL-DIL problems (not the serious abusive kind) stem from personality and family-of-origin differences.
absolutely!

Old 01-20-2012, 04:09 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:

What a wonderful gift she gave you! I'm sorry you lost her early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting