Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 02:26 PM

13,495 posts, read 9,998,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Hm, then maybe just on a shelf inside the health center and you have to buy it like you'd buy a bottle of tylenol.

I appreciate that it's an awkward situation and I think women should be able to buy Plan B without feeling shamed or hassled (like a number of pharmacists seem keen to do), but there is a point where I feel like saying grow up already. You're an adult and you participated in adult activities and now you are doing the responsible adult thing by making sure an unwanted pregnancy is prevented. So the person running the health center desk knows you had sex, I think the embarrassment shouldn't trump making responsible health decisions.
Yep, it shouldn't, but it does. And a lot of adult activities involve adult beverages, which lower the inhibitions the night before but are nothing but an anxiety inducer the morning after.

The less barrier to getting the contraceptive in the hands of the student the better, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 02:36 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,584,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
I was under the impression and I may be wrong but they no longer offer the Plan B pill over the counter that you had to go to a doctor to get it. I will serch for a link but Im pretty sure I heard this recently.
This was in the news recently, but was in regard to Plan B being available OTC to those under 17 years of age. As of now those under 17 will still need a prescription.

Statement from FDA Commissioner Margaret Hamburg, M.D. on Plan B One-Step

Old 02-07-2012, 02:42 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,748,747 times
I think it's a great idea. I am all for very readily available (I'd go for free, too) contraceptives in colleges.

For those who think Plan B is the "abortion pill," it's essentially big dose of a birth control pill. It does exactly what a birth control pill does.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:21 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,304,770 times
If this was fb I would like this

Old 02-07-2012, 03:27 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,982,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
If this was fb I would like this
HAHAHAHA

You can point out here who is under 30, easily.
I would "like" this as well.

If Plan B was readily available in vending machines and you didn't have to run out to a pharmacy or something, I think it would be great.

But then you might have some religious nuts vandalizing the vending machines because they are against plan B.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:39 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,908,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
You can point out here who is under 30, easily.
I would "like" this as well.
Though I will probably regret this: you do realize that a good number of the people on this thread who said this is a good idea are over 30, right?

Add me to the list.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:04 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,982,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Though I will probably regret this: you do realize that a good number of the people on this thread who said this is a good idea are over 30, right?

Add me to the list.
I was talking about the facebook "like" reference she made.
Not the fact that she agrees with the idea.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:28 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,621,300 times
I don't see why not. I don't have a problem with it.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:34 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,908,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I was talking about the facebook "like" reference she made.
Not the fact that she agrees with the idea.
Ah, I see. All those over 30 who have no working knowledge of facebook. Got it.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:39 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,398,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Ah, I see. All those over 30 who have no working knowledge of facebook. Got it.
I know I'm about to turn 30 in May, and I've already forgotten if this is a website or an actual book

Yeah, I like this idea a lot. And it's refreshing that I haven't seen anyone say "It just encourages them to have sex!" I really don't think college kids (particularly freshmen) are thinking so responsibly as to say, "Well, I can't find birth control, so that means no sex for now".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting