Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 05:30 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I asked my 8yo dd today what she would do. She said scream FIRE. (This is advice that I was given by a police officer who says that people are unlikely to get involved in what they think is a domestic dispute.) Then she said; bite, kick, punch, scream. She then added something I had never told her. The best place to punch is on the bridge of the nose. Go, baby!
That's a proud mama moment right there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 06:06 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I got it from the news story (not sure if it is the specific one posted in this thread). The mom said she knew where her daughter was. Why is that so hard to believe?
Not hard to believe, but not something we can just assume.

I found the link below, which does confirm the mother was in the produce section, and also that she knew where her daughter was (supposed to be). Now, I don't know how anyone else's Wal-Mart is; but the layout of ours is so that the produce is clear across the store from the toy department.

I'd say it really doesn't matter if you know where your kid is supposed to be when you're in a store of that size. Quite simply, that doesn't protect your child any. If the girl hadn't have fought, she'd be gone.

Video Shows Georgia Girl, 7, Fighting Off Alleged Kidnapper At Walmart (http://www.wibw.com/nationalnews/headlines/Video_Shows_Georgia_Girl_7_Fighting_Off_Alleged_Ki dnapper_At_Walmart_139116004.html - broken link)

Old 02-10-2012, 06:10 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Not hard to believe, but not something we can just assume.

I found the link below, which does confirm the mother was in the produce section, and also that she knew where her daughter was (supposed to be). Now, I don't know how anyone else's Wal-Mart is; but the layout of ours is so that the produce is clear across the store from the toy department.

I'd say it really doesn't matter if you know where your kid is supposed to be when you're in a store of that size. Quite simply, that doesn't protect your child any. If the girl hadn't have fought, she'd be gone.

Video Shows Georgia Girl, 7, Fighting Off Alleged Kidnapper At Walmart (http://www.wibw.com/nationalnews/headlines/Video_Shows_Georgia_Girl_7_Fighting_Off_Alleged_Ki dnapper_At_Walmart_139116004.html - broken link)
I agree. Knowing where they are really doesn't offer any protection at all.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:17 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Maybe she was in the next aisle.

How about we blame the kidnapper instead of the mom?

Sorry, you don't let a 7yr old wander away from you. Doesn't matter if it is one aisle or 10 aisles.

Haven't we learned anything from Adam Walsh and Sears store in Hollywood, FL in 1980?

Old 02-10-2012, 06:33 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodomonte View Post
That stupid guy would gave got caught regardless. Wal-Mart has cameras all over. They catch shoplifters every day in the Wal-Mart near me.

Not if he got her out into the parking lot and into a car. Walmart cameras are focused on shoplifting. They could care less what happens out to customer once they leave the store.

There were several robberies the weekend of Black Friday across the country in Walmart parking lots of people who made purchases only to be robbed in the parking lot.

In fact Walmart parking lots have been the scene of violent crimes including rape. They're not known for being well lit up at night.

I'm glad the little girl is OK, but 7 is too young to be wondering around in a store.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:34 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Not if he got her out into the parking lot and into a car. Walmart cameras are focused on shoplifting. They could care less what happens out to customer once they leave the store.

There were several robberies the weekend of Black Friday across the country in Walmart parking lots of people who made purchases only to be robbed in the parking lot.

In fact Walmart parking lots have been the scene of violent crimes including rape. They're not known for being well lit up at night.

I'm glad the little girl is OK, but 7 is too young to be wondering around in a store.
I second this entire post

Quote:
Sorry, you don't let a 7yr old wander away from you. Doesn't matter if it is one aisle or 10 aisles.

Haven't we learned anything from Adam Walsh and Sears store in Hollywood, FL in 1980?

Maybe some of these parents don't remember the Walsh tragedy....

Last edited by believe007; 02-10-2012 at 07:10 PM..

Old 02-10-2012, 07:02 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
I second this entire post

Maybe some of these parents haven't learned the Walsh tragedy....
Fifteen-year-old kids get kidnapped. Should they be constantly watched, too? You give your children varying levels of independence as they age so they can become fully independent adults.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:04 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
[quote=Vic 2.0;22926871]Says who? A kidnapping is a kidnapping. I should think you'd want to protect your child from all kinds. And even noting the difference between a runaway and a victim of kidnapping, the danger is there when a child runs away. There are still more accounts of children going missing, no matter the cause. So I stand by my saying, It's more dangerous for children today than ever before.

Well, if my ex husband was a creep I wouldn't let my child near him and I'd probably keep her in until I got that issue resolved. If my child was depressed and we were fighting I'd keep an eye out for a possibilities pertaining. But, I don't have either situation so I'd have a different perspective if that was the case I'm sure. I can only relate to being a normal mom with mentally happy children and no looney ex husband. I only worry about my child being taken by the total stranger or creepy neighbor. Those are what I keep an eye on and teach my child to as well. I'm not saying I don't care about others who run away or get nabbed by their ex husbands but I'm sure you know that is what I meant. I'm not sure why you answered in this way actually, I find it strange. I only asked what the kidnappings were to get perspective on the amount that were stranger abductions and had no relation to family problems. We aren't talking about a child who was a runaway or had a dad who could have custody issues.
Is it more dangerous for your kid to walk outside today then it was in the 70's, 80's or 90's? I doubt it. Is it more dangerous for your kid if they have a crazy dad or mom? Probably, but that's a different thread, that was my point.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:21 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I'm not sure why you answered in this way actually, I find it strange. I only asked what the kidnappings were to get perspective on the amount that were stranger abductions and had no relation to family problems. We aren't talking about a child who was a runaway or had a dad who could have custody issues.
This is all going back to when I said "It's more dangerous for kids now than before", correct? Well, statistics show that I am right. Whether it's a stranger or someone known by the kid and/or custodial parent, whether the child is initially kidnapped or runs away and is thereby at much greater risk of BEING kidnapped (let's be honest, that's the primary concern if you find out your kid has run away), it all amounts to more danger should a parent let their guard down.

It relates to this thread because I was defending parents who "shelter" their kids in this way. Again, I don't consider it such a big deal either way. It's not going to render a child incapable of taking care of themselves when they grow up, just making sure they stay nearby in public places.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:44 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Quote:

I feel sorry for parents now a days, it's very hard to not try and do everything in and out of your power but life simply isn't that way. If only it was easier to have children huh, imagine what you'd say to a mom like the one in my bottom post. Would you think she was a healthy happy mom with a healthy happy kid? Nope, there would be a thread on her right now.

This is sarcastic of course but how I feel after reading these replies:

I guess we never learn. Nobody has learned from this either, kids still have their own rooms and go to school. It's unbelievable how irresponsible some parents can be. Believe it or not you can't walk around the car after you put your baby in it, carjackers are everywhere. Just don't drive at all it's a bad idea. Car accidents kill more kids a year than anything. I wish parents would just walk around with their kids strapped to them with a belt and a attached alarm. They can just go to bed the same way.

Elizabeth Smart kidnapping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2nd-grade boy disappears walking down school hallway to class – Nancy Grace - CNN.com Blogs

Bronx Mom's Minivan Carjacked With Child Inside: Gothamist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting