Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 06:14 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPON View Post
So its not normal to have kids? Hm...OK whatever you say...I mean coming from a feminist and all I am sure you are 100% correct...
Its not normal to keep pushing out babies like you're a playdoh fun factory...
Having children is totally normal, pushing them out one after another is not.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:16 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,427,403 times
I can't believe so many people care what two grown people choose to do with their bodies- two grown people who are financially responsible for themselves and raise their family with no handouts and who seem to have children who are smart, well mannered and and do good things for those in their community.

Meh, I could care less what they choose for themselves. They know what is best for their family, who am I to think I know what is better for them than what they know?

Old 02-14-2012, 06:18 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,385,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I wonder, though, what they can do to stop these pregnancies while still following their beliefs. I'm guessing any form of contraception is out and they can't just stop having sex. I wonder if they'd be opposed to the rhythm method or something like that. Of course, she could still be a decade off from menopause and timing methods like that aren't always 100%.

Hmm...what's a fertile Duggar to do?
I don't see why the rhythm method would be unacceptable. My great-grandmother had 16 children. They all lived until adulthood except for twins who died a few days after birth due to problems that could have been taken care of today.

After #15 she was desperate not to have any more kids. The rhythm method was well known at the time. This was during the depression and they all lived in a tiny cold-water flat in NYC. She was Roman Catholic and birth control was forbidden.

A friend told her that if she continued to breast feed it would be difficult for her to get pregnant. So she breastfed my Aunt Flo until she was 4. At that point she was 45 so getting pregnant would probably have been unlikely. Not sure if it was the breastfeeding or God answering her prayers, but she always recommended the breastfeeding fix to her Catholic friends after that.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:40 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
A bit longer ago than that, but part of that was so you would have people to labor for the family and because childhood mortality was much higher than it is today. And even by older standards, 19 children would be a lot.
Also, it was unusual to have all of your children survive to adulthood. Many died as babies.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:17 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
Quote:
Well obviously to her she doesn't mind it. My mother had 5,my older brother has 5 me and my wife are on our 3rd now and will have at least 1 more after this...everyone has opinions and I am of the opinion the more the better..they aren't harming anyone they don't take welfare so why worry about other people's lives when it comes to them having children?
4 or 5 is pretty normal. 19 is an overabundance and takes a big toll on the woman's body.

Her 20th pregnancy was dangerous to both her and the baby

TODAYMoms - 20 kids and counting! Michelle Duggar announces she's pregnant again

Quote:
Michelle Duggar’s last pregnancy was fraught with danger. She suffered from gall-bladder problems as well as preeclampsia. In order to save her life, doctors delivered daughter Josie three and a half months prematurely – she weighed only one pound, six ounces at birth, and endured a series of health emergencies, including a perforated bowel. Josie eventually went home with the rest of the Duggar family, and is now a healthy toddler who will celebrate her second birthday in December.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:57 PM

840 posts, read 781,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Its not normal to keep pushing out babies like you're a playdoh fun factory...
Having children is totally normal, pushing them out one after another is not.
Says who? People born in the past 40 years? My grandparents generation it was quite common...some decided to enjoy each gift nature gives them...

Old 02-14-2012, 08:05 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,196,161 times
Quote:
Says who? People born in the past 40 years? My grandparents generation it was quite common...some decided to enjoy each gift nature gives them...
And some have to foist the gifts on the older sisters or the convent.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:08 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,427,403 times
Quote:
My husband, who is just 34 btw, has 16 aunt and uncles. Large families are a lot more common, and normal, than many people here think

Old 02-14-2012, 08:08 PM

869 posts, read 1,495,043 times
Im actually torn on how I feel about this.

She has the right to have as many children as she wants BUT what about those children in the future. Even all of her children only have half as many as her thats 200 grandchildren. Or a quarter of them, thats 100. Also what about the economic strain. They are not using welfare but they also use public services (school not included) yet dont pay anywhere near the taxes needed to support the family of 21. She and her husband can have lots of children its their right as americans BUT who raises those children? What about when she is to old to care for them but they are still at home age. They now have to take care of their parents when they are merely children themselves? Its a difficult thing to work through in my head.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:20 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,937,875 times
I would certainly NOT want to have a family this large, but I don't see anything wrong with a married couple who is financially stable choosing to have a large family. They seem like very loving and appropriate parents who are raising solid citizens.

Unfortunately not all pregnancies are successful and carry to term - young mothers and older mothers miscarry. I don't think we can assume that it is her body telling her to stop.

Again, this wouldn't be my personal choice but they do seem like very caring people who take their parenting job very seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting