Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 12:13 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times

Advertisements

Very sad. Because you don't want to punish the child for the actions of the parent. And sadly, those kids know their parents are bad. Sounds like this won't be the last of your issues with this family. The real question is what to do in the future.

Frustrating situation. Maybe you need to talk to the parent, and tell them that if you had to go, and their child was at your home, what would they like you to do? Get the name, phone number and address of about five people, and suggest a 24 hour day care facility, or "drop off 9hild" daycare. State that the child is welcome to play, but for only limited time frames, and you need to know what to do when the child is there, and the parent is not available as the case was this week. Have a firm plan in place, or state that the child will only be able to play when the parent is home. And maybe that is the best plan.

Last edited by jasper12; 04-18-2012 at 01:02 AM.. Reason: edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 09:24 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,146 times
I wonder what the little boy will be doing this week.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:36 AM

410 posts, read 1,521,683 times
No clue...he asked me this morning when he saw me if he could come over anyways and NOT play with my son. Gee, that really defeats the purpose of punishing my child for lying (again). So, I politely said "No, but you'll see each other in school."

Old 04-27-2012, 08:26 PM

2 posts, read 1,975 times
What i would do is care for the 7 year old for as long as HE needed. But this is about you. You are angry about this, and who can blame you. but punish the parents not the child. call the police and report a crime. whose to say cps will provide him with anything better. talk with the child, find out if he has any other family. or talk to a local church. unwanted, mistreated children more often then not wind up in our prison systems. You have an opportunity to make a real difference in this boys life, and society as a whole will benefit from that. think of him as a reminder of just how blessed your kids and you are and show gratitude by making him feel wanted. it's the responsibility of us ALL to take care of the children, and we suffer the consequences when we don't.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:41 PM

10,178 posts, read 11,165,274 times
I feel so sad for this boy - because it seems, everyone around him has failed him.

It's amazing nothing bad - has happened to him yet...

Old 05-02-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
I feel so sad for this boy - because it seems, everyone around him has failed him.

It's amazing nothing bad - has happened to him yet...
It pisses me off to no end that an adult knows a child is being abused and does nothing. In fact it infuriates me. It's like the poster who knew a cat was being abused and did nothing. Our most vulnerable creatures, human and nonhuman need to be protected. Too sad to even think about.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:31 PM

10,178 posts, read 11,165,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
It pisses me off to no end that an adult knows a child is being abused and does nothing. In fact it infuriates me. It's like the poster who knew a cat was being abused and did nothing. Our most vulnerable creatures, human and nonhuman need to be protected. Too sad to even think about.
I know. That's why, I said - what I said. He's being failed left and right.

I would do all I can to help this boy. I wouldn't dump him outside, knowing he can't get into his home, supposedly being abused, etc. Knowing what's going on and doing nothing, is being just as guilty as doing the deed - in My Opinion..

Look what's going on in this world with kids being kidnapped, murdered.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
I know. That's why, I said - what I said. He's being failed left and right.

I would do all I can to help this boy. I wouldn't dump him outside, knowing he can't get into his home, supposedly being abused, etc. Knowing what's going on and doing nothing, is being just as guilty as doing the deed - in My Opinion..

Look what's going on in this world with kids being kidnapped, murdered.
Yeah, I hear you.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:57 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
call the police or protective services - to protect yourself from future accusations.

give him a safe haven - temporarily

turn the situation over to the school -they asked you to step in somehow

find the grandparents, from the boy his school or emergency contact for the apartment buildings - something like that - and try to get the child to them.

officially notify apartment manager that a child is being left out on his own.

Perhaps I should say, you have talked to the police, school, or apartment manager but that is just talking. Put it in writing by name.

Dear principal/apartment manager/teacher. This is to notify you that ____ is ________ so that you can take appropriate action. Handwritten is fine but keep a copy for yourself.

If they have responded to your call and the child is being helped, great. This is just my suggestion. Good luck. It is a hard one.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:13 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
call the police or protective services - to protect yourself from future accusations.

give him a safe haven - temporarily

turn the situation over to the school -they asked you to step in somehow

find the grandparents, from the boy his school or emergency contact for the apartment buildings - something like that - and try to get the child to them.

officially notify apartment manager that a child is being left out on his own.

Perhaps I should say, you have talked to the police, school, or apartment manager but that is just talking. Put it in writing by name.

Dear principal/apartment manager/teacher. This is to notify you that ____ is ________ so that you can take appropriate action. Handwritten is fine but keep a copy for yourself.

If they have responded to your call and the child is being helped, great. This is just my suggestion. Good luck. It is a hard one.
Excellent ideas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting