Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 06:03 PM

410 posts, read 1,521,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
You sound like a wonderful mother. Congrats to you!

So......what are you going to do when he shows up at your door in 30 minutes and wants to stay all night?

So......what are you going to do when he shows up tomorrow morning at 6:30 AM?

So......what are you going to do when he says that there is no food at his house and YOU haven't had anything to eat all day?

So......what are you going to do tomorrow after school when he wants to walk home with you?

Have you made any plans?

I come flat out and refuse with sleepovers...regardless of who they are. My son has to wait till he's 10 and trust me, he's on a countdown...lol.

When he comes over in the morning he can wait until we walk to school just like every morning. The mother doesn't get up and get him ready...he has his own alarm clock and gets himself dressed and out of the house. I do offer him breakfast but he says "I don't like breakfast" and so I leave it at that. I don't like kids going hungry.

I did get food stamps while I was in school but now I graduated (can't find a job) and lost all but medical assistance for my son. I've been looking for work for over a year but nothing yet. That is my problem and not my son's.

He can walk home with us for safety reasons (we really do not live in a safe area) but if his mother is not home then I am going to let him in my apartment to play and tell the apartment manager. She is going to call the police next time his mother is not home when he gets home.

It might be a little different if he had a key to the apartment but she won't give him one. She refuses to give him her phone number. We have a "secured" (not really) building that requires key access or going in through the office. His mother has him scared of the office because she got a fine before for having guests that ended up causing trouble in the hall. She claims it was because he walked through the office area one day when coming home from school. She doesn't want anyone seeing the boy.

It's really strange if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
"They (the mother and her "husband" of the day) finally showed up. "
They refuse to come to the door. I only know they are home because the child said so and has access to his apartment now.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:06 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
They refuse to come to the door. I only know they are home because the child said so and has access to his apartment now.
The fact of the matter remains that as long as you continue to allow it, it will continue. If you want to be a martyr, that is your choice. I am sure someone here will continue to respond.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:13 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
The fact of the matter remains that as long as you continue to allow it, it will continue. If you want to be a martyr, that is your choice. I am sure someone here will continue to respond.
I am asking myself what has been accomplished here. Many posts, lots of good advice and nothing is changing. Meanwhile a little boy is being neglected and God knows what else. I need to step away here, because I can't stand to think of a child in this situation and nothing is being done.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
CALL THE FREAKING POLICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-16-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
CALL THE FREAKING POLICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did call the police tonight. Since the child is not in imminent danger they cannot do anything. We do not have an age limit for leaving kids at home unattended and that not being home when the child gets home is not grounds for concern unless a long period of time has elapsed. If I hear him being punished again I can call them...well I don't live that close anymore, we moved to another hall.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
I did call the police tonight. Since the child is not in imminent danger they cannot do anything. We do not have an age limit for leaving kids at home unattended and that not being home when the child gets home is not grounds for concern unless a long period of time has elapsed. If I hear him being punished again I can call them...well I don't live that close anymore, we moved to another hall.
Is this for real?

Old 04-16-2012, 07:13 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
if the cops call CPS they will respond.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
if the cops call CPS they will respond.
Correct. CPS said they only get involved if the police, doctor, teacher calls them. When I called CPS they told me they had a file on the family already and would make a note that she needs to be visited again. That was on Friday. Today they were approved for housing assistance (after being told they were disqualified because of the criminal activity--told that by the apartment manager. The apartment is not renewing her lease this time)

Old 04-16-2012, 07:30 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
I'm assuming you are not a mandatory reporter, from your job, If so you need to call CPS and let them know.

You said he has a case file, so they can re-open it, and assign it to a investigator, You can also report it to someone who is a mandatory reporter about what happening, That sort of keep you out of it, But they have to call CPS and report what you told them.
Just an FYI We are all mandatory reporters. No one gets a by on that. If you see, hear, know of child abuse, or elder abuse....any abuse. Call it in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting