Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 06:21 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times

Advertisements

Public schools are getting more and more arbitrary in their rule making. My son's district has a dress code. They are not allowed to wear argyle. Or checked prints. Or shirts with logos bigger than 2x2. They also are not allowed to wear shorts before April 1st. I'm getting sick of the schools, frankly.

They have assigned seating at the cafeteria now. They can't just decide to sit with their friends. They are told who they must sit with and speak to.

So many silly little rules. Meanwhile, the school has been in failing status for the last three years.

Before anyone asks, yes, we are planning on moving out of the district as soon as it is feasible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 06:27 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
So many silly little rules. Meanwhile, the school has been in failing status for the last three years.
The way I see it is that when a school's performance is falling school administrators feel that they have to do something. Making arbitrary rules is doing something so that's what they do. Never mind that it isn't the right something. It's something. And doing something is better than doing nothing right? It's totally ridiculous.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:35 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
I have always wondered what recourse there is when your school goes monkey ... with their stupid rules. I mean having to move your HOME where maybe you have tried to put down roots is such a drag. But what recourse do you really have? I suppose you could try some activism. Get a group of parents together to form a committee to evaluate effective school policies with the administration. But most parents are not interested in becoming involved. Our PTSA has absolutely pathetic enrollment.

I am sorry you are dealing with this! It is stinky in the extreme. When their focus is on this nonsense, it makes you wonder what their thinking is wrt academics. Or maybe not with their failing status.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:58 AM

I know. It does stink because we live in my hometown, but I think we'll have to make roots somewhere else. Our area, NE PA, is infamous for it's corruption. I'm not sure how much change would be effected by a parents group. Many administrators and even teachers see parents as the enemy. Even when you walk into the school to speak with a teacher or the principal, the secretaries are rude and nosy. "Why do you want to speak with Mr. Smith?" or "You're gonna have to wait til they have a minute to speak with you."

It's a very messed up system here.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:01 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Public schools are getting more and more arbitrary in their rule making. My son's district has a dress code. They are not allowed to wear argyle. Or checked prints. Or shirts with logos bigger than 2x2. They also are not allowed to wear shorts before April 1st. I'm getting sick of the schools, frankly.

They have assigned seating at the cafeteria now. They can't just decide to sit with their friends. They are told who they must sit with and speak to.

Before anyone asks, yes, we are planning on moving out of the district as soon as it is feasible.
Vote the school board out of office next election then . Best way to get people who actually want to change things.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Vote the school board out of office next election then . Best way to get people who actually want to change things.
We've tried but unfortunately, for whatever ungodly reason, the voters of our fair city will NOT vote for unknowns. It's the same people, with the same last names ALWAYS getting in.

It really feels like you are running into a brick wall with people.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:07 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Those are very strange rules.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:29 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
We've tried but unfortunately, for whatever ungodly reason, the voters of our fair city will NOT vote for unknowns.
You said it is your hometown... then you are NOT an unknown!

Old 04-21-2012, 08:31 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
It's probably because the administration is of the thought that respect arises from those rules, when in fact it's something that has to be felt naturally, from inside.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
You said it is your hometown... then you are NOT an unknown!
Well, here I am. You would have to frequent the NE PA sub forum to see exactly what I am talking about. When I say unknown I mean not having the right last name. If you look at many of the teachers, politicians, etc here, the majority either have "those" names or are related to those that do.

I promise I am not exaggerating! LOL I am embarrassed to write the above because I realize how it must sound to someone not from the area. But it's all true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting