Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 07:53 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times

Advertisements

Well, he is now back home.

Obese Ohio Boy, 9, Sheds 50 Pounds, Is Returned Home

Quote:
The boy was removed from his family over health concerns and placed in foster care in October after Cuyahoga County case workers said his mother wasn't doing enough to control his weight. The county's Children and Family Services agency said it had worked with the family for more than a year before he was removed.

The boy was considered at risk for developing diabetes or high blood pressure. Government growth charts say most boys his age weigh about 60 pounds. He weighed as much as 218 pounds, but dropped to 166 pounds when he was with his uncle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 08:00 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,759,472 times
That sounds like a really smart idea. Give the child back to the abuser.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:55 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
In this case, the mom was not abusive, she just had no idea how to manage his weight.

This is the original story
Ohio Boy Removed from Home Because of Obesity Concerns - Yahoo! News

There was a lot of debate about whether he should ever have been removed at all, actually.

Btw, when he was removed, eventually he went to live with an uncle

Compromise sends obese boy removed from his home to live with uncle | cleveland.com

Quote:
The child has been an honor roll student and there were no allegations of neglect or abuse other than his obesity.
His case came to the county's attention in April 2010 and the county said they worked with the mother for more than a year, during which the child's weight fluctuated.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:09 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,608,234 times
Wow, good for that kid. Sometimes you need a little outside help learning new habits.

I think the foster care was a bit of over kill but it's nice the uncle stepped in. Sometimes it's hard to see how to change these things from the inside. You need some outside help. I think it seems to have worked out well in the end.

I don't think the publicity did any good though.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:25 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,351,253 times
Crazy story. I wonder about the lifestyle of the mother though.

If she is going to cook fried chicken for dinner and take out McDonalds every other night and not bring the kid to the gym of course he is going to gain it all back.

Hopefully she used the time to make any necessary life changes.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:09 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,759,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
In this case, the mom was not abusive, she just had no idea how to manage his weight.

This is the original story
Ohio Boy Removed from Home Because of Obesity Concerns - Yahoo! News

There was a lot of debate about whether he should ever have been removed at all, actually.

Btw, when he was removed, eventually he went to live with an uncle

Compromise sends obese boy removed from his home to live with uncle | cleveland.com
For him to have gained THAT much weight, they had to be eating fried foods and fast food all the time. That is abuse.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:40 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,629,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
My thoughts exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I disagree. I fully feel it IS abuse to let a 3rd grader get to over the ideal weight of a fully grown man!

How can you know know eating anything and everything in sight makes you fat? Seriously?

Old 05-15-2012, 06:38 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,120,324 times
I read an article that she was getting help as well - nutritional counseling, etc. But it also said he already gained 6 lbs back. Hopefully just an adjustment.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:43 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
This case was very interesting and I really hope it turns out for the best, but I kind of have my doubts. For those that claim this wasn't abuse, think about it this way: What if the child was smoking? So, no weight issues, everything else is fine, but his parents let him smoke a pack a day.

If that was the case then I imagine that most people would be fuming over it. They would hear that the mother has received counseling on the dangers of smoking, but hasn't stopped the boy from doing it. Her excuse is that, he just really wants his cigarettes. I venture that everyone would be up in arms and saying that the parents were horrible. The fact of the matter is that obesity and all of its associated diseases and health issues are arguably just as bad as anything associated with smoking.

With that said, I think the mother deserves another chance to make it right and the help and support she needs to do the right thing, but I just have a sinking feeling, the next time we hear something, the kid will have gained all the weight back, plus another 20 pounds.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:13 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,772,246 times
Even after loosing 50 pounds, that boy is more than double the average weight for his age, and way too young to make sensible food decisions on his own. I don't think he should have been returned yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting