Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2012, 02:18 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,614,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
That's a station in Kansas City. Any links for what the good people of Tucson are saying? That's what I want to read. (There's a better chance of comments from people who actually know something about this school and/or the teacher. Perhaps we'd learn more about the circumstances of this "award". The teacher's motivation. The teacher's reputation. What kind of school it is, etc.)

Though I did read the comments that followed the link posted by NoKudzu. I made it through one page. Most were along the lines of "What the heck is wrong with Mom that the daughter isn't doing her homework."
There are plenty here in AZ, just a google minute away. As you've stated the majority I've seen are siding with the teacher as well. I don't see this matter bringing her down in any way. It looks about 3 to 1.
From what I've seen, it's supported fully by the school.
It will only effect the likes of me, not the people who use sarcasm as a method of communicating to their own children. You can tell by the sarcastic answers to the article who these people are. Doesn't seem the teacher is fearing for her job in any way. The school and the teacher might think the mom is over reacting and have decided to let it go because it's not effecting them.

It's just a warning to those who don't like it, they would be the only ones steering clear of her class or others who do this. Just gives notice to those of us who would consider it a negative approach to a fun time. Those who don't care or do this themselves as a method of communicating won't care and will brush off this mother with a blight comment of sensitivity and move on. As you can read on here and under every article involving this story.

But, I won't be taking it lightly. I don't think she was overly sensitive and I appreciate knowing which schools practice this. So I am glad she made it public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 02:24 PM

753 posts, read 1,483,492 times
I would be embarrassed that I apparently don't keep up with what's going on at school and for expecting the afterschool homework club to do my parenting.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:31 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,819,770 times
This is why the "every kid should get an award" crap is wrong. Not all kids deserve one and mandating they have to receive one leads to foolishness like this story. I say give out 1 award to the best student in each subject and call it done. If some kid has hurt feelings because they didn't earn an award, oh well. Perhaps they'll work harder next year.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:35 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,620,110 times
While I certainly agree that this teacher should have never sent out a negative award for anything to any student, I can also certainly see that the mother is doing far more harm to her child by dealing with the issue in the media.

I think she is in for a rude awakening when so many people call her out for bringing it public instead of jumping on her bandwagon, for not making sure her daughter completed and turned in her homework (whether she did or not is now irrelevant as the implication is that she did not) and for the negative attention it is bringing the teacher and the school.

I imagine she will find herself in dire need of a new school setting and perhaps even a new neighborhood.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
Where did you get the idea that this news story is only for people who agree with her? I sure didn't see that disclaimer on any of them. She chose to put her child's business out there for the world to see, so there's going to be plenty of people who disagree with her--including me--and are free to voice their opinion of that. Which is one good reason not to air your child's problems in the media.

I meant to convey that this story only means something to parents who would like to avoid sarcastic award day. If the award issue didn't bother you it won't affect your decisions on selecting that teacher or school. Everyone is free to their opinions on the subject but I didn't say that they weren't free to state them.

Since this mother is claiming her child had a folder full of completed assignments, my first priority would have been setting up a meeting with the teacher to see exactly what is going on, what is she missing, what is her grade, etc. And if she had turned in all her work and was getting good grades, I'd THEN demand to know why the hell would she give my child such an award. And if I don't like her answer, I would express my concerns to the principal, and be grateful the school year is almost over anyway. I would not, however, go to the media. That's just petty, imo.

To my understanding she did this and wasn't satisfied. Some people will go further instead of forgetting it.

I often wonder how parents who fight every single tiny battle of their kid's think that's helping the kid. What is this kid learning from this? Since the mom is the only one telling the story, she's not saying what kind of grades her daughter has gotten from this teacher so far, how many times she's been contacted before about missing assignments, what other measures the teacher has taken to resolve the problem, or what SHE has done herself, besides the mention of an after school homework program. She didn't say how many hours a night her daughter spends on homework, if she checks it, or even bothers to ask if she has homework. She's putting all the blame and all the focus on the teacher. I don't see the problem with disagreeing with the award and letting the kid know that was wrong and shouldn't have been done, but that doesn't absolve her of her role in not doing her homework, or the mother's role in not seeing that it was done.

I'm not sure if she fights every battle for her 8 year old or is trying to instruct her on how to do so for herself if she has an issue that is not solved to her satisfaction when she is an adult. She may be teaching her that you can make a change if you go to the public with an issue you think is important instead of just dealing with something you find unfair because someone who has authority says you have no choice. She might be teaching her to stand up for herself in the long run. I don't know exactly of course but either do you, we are both assuming. The articles aren't that detailed.
I didn't get the feel that she was justifying her not doing her homework, I was getting the idea that she thought it was addressed and not an issue. I could be wrong.

I wouldn't be shocked now, in future classes, her excuse will be, "I'm too tramatized by that mean award my 3rd grade teacher gave me." People really need to quit giving their kids excuses to fail. It may make them feel like SuperMom fighting the evil of the world, but it's not helping their kids in the long run.
I wouldn't be surprised that this kid will learn she doesn't need to play down her beliefs to those of authority if she feels she was treated wrong. I think she will stand up to bullies and might take action instead of blowing it off as if nothing will work or can be done about it. It's not embarrassing to speak out against something you feel hurts others, IMO. Watching her mom going beyond the school when she didn't believe they were treating her fairly and going to the media is a strong statement to me, IMO. Standing up for your child who is unable to do so herself isn't a bad thing to me. We differ, and that is ok.

I think kids follow example, including belittling others or laughing at their mistakes or decisions. If that mom takes a stand for her child I believe that child will only learn to take a stand for herself one day. She might even stand up for others as well. I don't see this as a bad example at all. We differ again, and that's how the ball usually bounces. It's rare to find a group of people with the same ideals about what's right and wrong. I'm not saying your wrong, I'm just not saying your right. I don't agree.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:46 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,210,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I wouldn't be surprised that this kid will learn she doesn't need to play down her beliefs to those of authority if she feels she was treated wrong. I think she will stand up to bullies and might take action instead of blowing it off as if nothing will work or can be done about it. It's not embarrassing to speak out against something you feel hurts others, IMO. Watching her mom going beyond the school when she didn't believe they were treating her fairly and going to the media is a strong statement to me, IMO. Standing up for your child who is unable to do so herself isn't a bad thing to me. We differ, and that is ok.

I think kids follow example, including belittling others or laughing at their mistakes or decisions. If that mom takes a stand for her child I believe that child will only learn to take a stand for herself one day. She might even stand up for others as well. I don't see this as a bad example at all. We differ again, and that's how the ball usually bounces. It's rare to find a group of people with the same ideals about what's right and wrong. I'm not saying your wrong, I'm just not saying your right. I don't agree.
You've totally ignored the fact that, apparently, this child did not do her homework. And her mother did not seem to know that the child was not doing her homework.

IMHO all the kid is going to learn is it's OK if you don't do what you're supposed to do because Mom will get all hot and bothered that your feelings were hurt and go to the media.

I don't think that's much of a lesson. And I don't think the mother stood up to bullies. What the mother did was tell the whole world her kid didn't do her homework. She's opened up the door for her child to BE bullied. Every kid Tucson will know her as the little girl who won the award for excuses. I think that's sad. He mother should NEVER have exposed her like she did. She's only eight. Save her TV appearances for when she's old enough to decide if she wants to be filmed for a story like this.

(I also think this "every kid gets an award" stuff is a lot of bunk. Whatever happened to your reward was they let you go up a grade?)

Last edited by DewDropInn; 05-30-2012 at 02:59 PM..

Old 05-30-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankywithakeyboard View Post
I would be embarrassed that I apparently don't keep up with what's going on at school and for expecting the afterschool homework club to do my parenting.
Hopefully what this mother is doing will help parents and kids know that you don't have to be embarrassed about these things. You should address them and correct them without feeling the need to be singled out and laughed out for them.
I believe this teaches nothing, and I don't think the intent was to teach, it was what it was,to make fun of some kids lack of accomplishment. I just don't think it was necessary, it was a choice on the teachers part. I guess she thought nobody would be offended. She was wrong.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You've totally ignored the fact that, apparently, this child did not do her homework. And her mother did not seem to know that the child was not doing her homework.

IMHO all the kid is going to learn is it's OK if you don't do what you're supposed to do because Mom will get all hot and bothered that your feelings were hurt and go to the media.

Where's the lesson in that?
I don't think there is a lesson on doing or not doing your homework. It's not about a constructive way to address her not doing her homework or I'm sure she would have contacted the mom to let her know that she was going to try public humiliation as a tactic.
I think it was done in bad taste and I don't want it as a part of my child's end of the year party.
Despite homework being done or not, the award shouldn't have been given, IMO. Making fun of failure in public isn't a solution to anything, it's just mean. There are however good solutions and instruction for homework issues.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:55 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,906,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Hopefully what this mother is doing will help parents and kids know that you don't have to be embarrassed about these things.
I'm not big on public shaming, but if my child had not done his/her homework for the year and I hadn't realized it, I think some embarrassment is a pretty justified emotion for both of us in that circumstance.

Re: the OP, I need more information before forming an opinion. The way it is being handled in the media strikes me as very tempest in a tea pot and not so forthcoming on content. From what has been reported, I am not impressed by the mother's actions at all. I really don't see how bringing media attention to the situation solves any of the problems she has (though, to be fair, I don't think the award solved any of the problems either).

Old 05-30-2012, 03:18 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,198,006 times
I would NOT have gone on TV and broadcast it all over the place.

I would have felt like an idiot for not knowing my 8 year old wasn't doing her homework.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting