Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 02:27 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,424,138 times

Advertisements

Honestly? I would feel ashamed that I didn't do my job as a parent and I would feel disappointed in my child since at age 8, he/she should know what their homework is. Heck, my 4 1/2 yr old knows that homework has to be done each night before he can play
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 02:31 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3a's View Post
This parent is wanting some bad attention. Any parent that would call attention to their child for getting this 'is wrong'. It is public humiliation of the parent now that would hurt the child. The parent should walk in and talk to the teacher not call on the phone if it hurt the mother this badly. As I am saying "the mother" was hurt now it is public knowledge and the little girls name is imprinted with this negative attention not from the school but from the mother.
How is the mother being humiliated again? Or are we thinking "humiliate" and "ridicule" are exact synonyms? And what gives the teacher the right to private, constructive criticism but not the 8-year old girl? No, the punishment fit the crime rather well, I think (I assume you won't be taking the word 'crime' literally).

It's not about just this one kid or her mom, as I see it. It's about making an example of one of probably many teachers that think this is either a good teaching/motivating tool or a funny joke. Now that the story's out, most teachers will be more careful about the kinds of messages they send to their students... and home to their students' parents.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:48 PM

737 posts, read 1,148,318 times
A parent should know what is happening at their children's school. No excuses. Did the reporter ask if the parent attended conferences?

Old 05-29-2012, 03:31 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Well, if a doctor has to slowly spell it out for a slow patient as to make sure the accurate measure of health care is carried out, so does a teacher. If she is dealing with a parent that isn't that easy to communicate with than she should send a note that needs signing to get her attention.
Fair enough, but I'm not going to assume that the teacher did not do these things. I am confused by the "complete homework folder," so suffice it to say that I don't have enough information to have much of an opinion.

One opinion I do have is that "But I didn't know" is a parental cop-out; however, I have no idea what was and was not communicated to this mom. The other opinion I have is that this is not something I would call a news station about.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:32 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
Did the reporter ask if the parent attended conferences?
She should have.

It took me all of 5 minutes to look up the school's ratings, statistics and find it's web site. I also found messages from this teacher to the parents so she DOES communicate.

(It's ranked 130 in the state out of more than 1,000 elementary schools and has only 143 students.)

So we have the mother going on an offensive attack and the school unable to defend itself. Probably for privacy reasons. My guess is there is MUCH more to this story. IMO it's a pity the teacher is being labeled the "bad guy" when we don't have her side of the story. I'm wondering if other parents have stuck up for her.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:34 PM

452 posts, read 897,999 times
The mother is humiliating the child since she is bringing it up for the whole world to see and on top of it putting it in print and video. Why not teach the child that if the CHILD is upset then they need to talk to teacher face to face. In this case it appears that the mother was more upset than the child. Bottom line is if the child is not upset then let the child and the whole situation be, is this going on the child's permanant record? NO!, it does not, however, now we know since the mother has brought it to the everyone's attention.
Teachers spend more wake time with our kids than parents do, if there was a problem with the child's performance it would have been reflected in the child's grade card and the teacher would have spoken to the parent if they went to the parent teacher conference.
This makes it more difficult for the teachers to teach than wondering if they are going to hurt "Poor Johny's" feelings. We as a society are so concerned about hurting people's feelings that it not healthy, sometimes you have to let it roll off your back and let it go.
It appears the award was in a manilla envelope most likely where no one else could see and they usually do not open until they get home from school. All paperwork in public school has to be approved by the principle prior to release to the students. It appears that this was meant as a joke and the mother took it to heart, if the mother had the confidence to know that her daughter turned in most to every assignment then we would not be seeing this in the news. The next thing you will see is a lawsuit against the school for deformation of child's character. Taking away more money from the public school system.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
The mother is humiliating the child since she is bringing it up for the whole world to see and on top of it putting it in print and video.
How so? The teacher's being painted as the bad guy. The daughter probably figures like her mom and soooo many reports on the story that she's a victim and she's being defended.

Quote:
Why not teach the child that if the CHILD is upset then they need to talk to teacher face to face. In this case it appears that the mother was more upset than the child. Bottom line is if the child is not upset then let the child and the whole situation be, is this going on the child's permanant record? NO!, it does not, however, now we know since the mother has brought it to the everyone's attention.
Quote:
It appears the award was in a manilla envelope most likely where no one else could see and they usually do not open until they get home from school.
From the link I posted earlier...

Quote:
Not only confused, Valdez was upset because she said her daughter felt humiliated. She said the teacher announced the award in front of the whole class and all the children laughed at her daughter.
Teacher gives 3rd grader a Catastrophe Award in front of class - KGUN9.com

Either way though, like I said, it's not like making the story public could hurt the child any more than it's likely to hurt the teacher. Once more, the teacher obviously didn't believe in private, constructive criticism. What makes her deserving of it now?

And it's a possibility this mother's doing all this for the principle. Whether it's her exact plan or not, I expect most teachers to be more tactful with the little "awards" they give out from now on. And that's only due to this story being made public.

I won't argue that the parent should've known if there was a problem concerning her homework. I will insist that the teacher shouldn't have done what she did, with or without communicating with the parent about the problem beforehand. It served absolutely no purpose.

Quote:
This makes it more difficult for the teachers to teach than wondering if they are going to hurt "Poor Johny's" feelings. We as a society are so concerned about hurting people's feelings that it not healthy, sometimes you have to let it roll off your back and let it go.
True enough. However, emotion work is part of any job where you're dealing with this many people, especially children. If someone doesn't want to worry about hurting someone else's feelings... they should not be teaching little kids! And c'mon, who doesn't know that pointing out someone else's shortcomings in front of a group of their peers (not even family or friends, just peers) is a faux pas?

Old 05-29-2012, 04:12 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
End of school year mean lots of awards in elementary classes and it is always fun to see how our teacher try to include every student and find something positive for everyone. this teacher should be severely reprimanded if not fired. how can a person without a clue about how humiliated this child would feel be allowed to continue? I don't think it was a joke at all. I think she meant to hurt her feelings and single her out to her peers.

8-Year-Old Gets 'Catastrophe Award' for Most Homework Excuses | ABC News Blogs - Yahoo!
I think for the lousy and inadequate job this womans done teaching this child, she should definately recieve a surprise award at the next assembly. It could be called "the most thoughtless and useless teacher of the year" award.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:20 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I think for the lousy and inadequate job this womans done teaching this child, she should definately recieve a surprise award at the next assembly. It could be called "the most thoughtless and useless teacher of the year" award.
Why are you blaming the teacher? Lousy? Inadequate? All we have is the mother's side of the story.

Have you seen anything besides the video/story NoKudzu linked us to? (I'd love the link if you have one.)

Old 05-29-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Why are you blaming the teacher? Lousy? Inadequate? All we have is the mother's side of the story.

Have you seen anything besides the video/story NoKudzu linked us to? (I'd love the link if you have one.)
Well, we do have a picture of the award, which reads in the teacher's handwriting, minus a conspiracy theory, "most excuses for not having homework". Signed and dated. Doesn't scream 'teacher of the year' to me. And it doesn't matter to me if it was supposed to be a joke or if every student got a negative award, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting