Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 05:53 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
The license idea is . . .progressive, not conservative. I.e. conservative would mean to keep things similar/make small changes/etc.

The license idea goes against thousands of years of human society, but its more inline with the needs of our society today.

So i would say this is a socially progressive idea. . .
My train of thought was that people proposing such a thing are probably the same people who worry incessantly about their tax dollars supporting unwed mothers with many children. Those would be conservatives. Conservatives have no problem with big government when it suits their needs. I wouldn't call licensing parents a progressive idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 05:57 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,203,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
The license idea is . . .progressive, not conservative. I.e. conservative would mean to keep things similar/make small changes/etc.

The license idea goes against thousands of years of human society, but its more inline with the needs of our society today.

So i would say this is a socially progressive idea. . .
The problem with this idea is who sets the criteria for this license and the criteria itself. Using education, for example, would dive into the depths of disparity and ultimately racism. There's no way around that and it shows that it's not really progressive, but fascist.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:57 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,380,609 times
If you can't afford to feed yourself, then, it is correct, you cannot afford a child, if you cannot support yourself.

Child care costs are considerable. Prudent people may have one or two children...

Old 06-04-2013, 07:05 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,914,913 times
My wife and I made a list of what we want for our child. We are of them mind set that children should have it better than their parents. Important factors for us were my wife staying at home, travel and enrichment activities, private school, graduating college without debt, and most importantly, having parents who are not stretched so thin that they have no relationship.

Because of all this, I only see us having one child, that may change, but for now its all we can "afford" looking ahead.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:21 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
My wife and I made a list of what we want for our child. We are of them mind set that children should have it better than their parents. Important factors for us were my wife staying at home, travel and enrichment activities, private school, graduating college without debt, and most importantly, having parents who are not stretched so thin that they have no relationship.

Because of all this, I only see us having one child, that may change, but for now its all we can "afford" looking ahead.

So if every generation should "have it better" than their parents, what will your children and grandchildren need to be able to provide to feel they are justified in having children? While in theory this philosophy sounds reasonable, at some point, "better" shouldn't simply be financial. It would be ridiculous for instance for a loving couple who really want children and are able to provide a good, loving, stable home to feel they can't have children because they fear they might not be able to pay for grad school.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:49 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,857,927 times
If you wait until you can afford children you will never have them. Some of the happiest families are where they were not planning on having kids yet but suddenly Mom ended up pregnant. Some of the best times I remember when my own kids were young was when we saved up for a pizza dinner out and it was a big deal to have a few bucks extra to do that. We didn't always have lots of money but we somehow made it and have some really great memories because of it.

Don

Old 06-10-2013, 04:46 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
If you wait until you can afford children you will never have them. Some of the happiest families are where they were not planning on having kids yet but suddenly Mom ended up pregnant. Some of the best times I remember when my own kids were young was when we saved up for a pizza dinner out and it was a big deal to have a few bucks extra to do that. We didn't always have lots of money but we somehow made it and have some really great memories because of it.

Don
Our best adventures as a family was during lean times. When we had tons of money, vacations are boring. You are protected from all adversity, so nothing happens. Yawn. Go to a fancy hotel on the beach. Sleep, walk out to the beach, get driven to a fancy restaurant, waited on hand and foot - not for me. When you have to improvise, that is when things get exciting.

Some of our friends have kids who always lived the pampered lifestyle. Everything paid for, not adversity. They are very nice kids, but to them getting a speeding ticket was a huge momentous event they talked about for years and years. It was the most dramatic thing that had ever happened to them. That is not the life I want for my kids. Learning to improvise and deal with adversity, roll with the punches = a better childhood IMO.

We cannot afford to pay for college for our five kids. We can help them a bit ($5K/year) and they are on their own for the rest of it. So far they are all going to school. Figuring out how to pay for school is good for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting