Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 08:11 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
Re: Mission Space. There are two 'rides' inside. One (I think it's the green line?) doesn't have the centrifugal force part...so if you feel queasy on spinning rides, choose that one. Same ride, no spin.
It's the Green One
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 12:00 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
What is Ghostrider?
Ghostrider is a ride at Knott's Berry Farm, my amusement park of choice.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:16 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
It is amazing to see how many people think a trip to Disney is imperative. A "must" have experience. Really interesting. I just don't get it. Yes, I have been to Disney, a place that eats money. Yes, my kids went there years ago, and that was when we lived in Florida. We got resident passes. But I would not have gone into debt for six round trip plane tickets, car rental, hotel, Disney...just for the "experience".

My kids are different...they did request ski vacations...and loved it. And going on float trips, we had a great vacation one year floating the Colorado river, and riding horses in the Grand Canyon. Much more fun than Disney....those trips were more authentic to me, with real family time. We rented a houseboat at Lake Powell one year for a week, no tv, no phones, just fishing, swimming, cruising the lake...the kids planned and practiced a song for their Grandmother, sang a Capella. That trip was 100x better than Disney, INMO.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:41 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,464,328 times
So my options for going and staying at the park are NY's Christmas, winter and spring breaks (December, Feb and April), aka the most expensive weeks at Disney, or July and August. My sister went to Orlando for her honeymoon in August and said it wasn't that bad, you just plan your water activities for the afternoon. Plus it's half the price. Any advice?

I'm wondering if the differences in opinions here could come from different daily lifestyles. I live in a rural area. I would never go on a camping trip, horseback riding type of vaca. Why pay money to do that when I can go to the neighbors and do it for free? I spend all summer doing trails, camping (oh so much work), boating activities, fishing (2 hours and I am done, get me out of the boat or strap me on a jet ski). So when I go on an expensive vaca I want something different. Different landscapes, different people, crowds, buildings, activities, entertainment. But I can see how the other activities would be appealing and worth the expense to people who say live in an urban or suburban area.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:51 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
It is amazing to see how many people think a trip to Disney is imperative. A "must" have experience. Really interesting. I just don't get it. Yes, I have been to Disney, a place that eats money. Yes, my kids went there years ago, and that was when we lived in Florida. We got resident passes. But I would not have gone into debt for six round trip plane tickets, car rental, hotel, Disney...just for the "experience".

My kids are different...they did request ski vacations...and loved it. And going on float trips, we had a great vacation one year floating the Colorado river, and riding horses in the Grand Canyon. Much more fun than Disney....those trips were more authentic to me, with real family time. We rented a houseboat at Lake Powell one year for a week, no tv, no phones, just fishing, swimming, cruising the lake...the kids planned and practiced a song for their Grandmother, sang a Capella. That trip was 100x better than Disney, INMO.
We only did disney once, and usually take the same type of trips your family does (well more ocean oriented but the same idea) and I have no idea how it is more "real" family time to do those vacations than disney. We ate together, did rides together, talked while hanging out under a palm tree at the volcano pool, floated around the lazy river for hours together, etc.

I think you are projecting your dislike of disney into making it a less "real" family time. Family time is what and where you make it. The activity is sort of extraneous.

This thread made me ask my daughter how much she remember of going to disney, and how much she enjoyed it. She told me she loved it, learned how to dive in the pool at the poly (I had forgotten that), thought the dropping elevator ride was the best ride she has ever been on and thought it was a great vacation. So I asked if she wanted to go back, and she said "eh". Which was basically my response at going back. But that is not a reflection on the place. With the exception of Bahia Honda in the Florida keys, we never go back to the same place twice even if we loved it. Too many new places to see.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:54 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
So my options for going and staying at the park are NY's Christmas, winter and spring breaks (December, Feb and April), aka the most expensive weeks at Disney, or July and August. My sister went to Orlando for her honeymoon in August and said it wasn't that bad, you just plan your water activities for the afternoon. Plus it's half the price. Any advice?

I'm wondering if the differences in opinions here could come from different daily lifestyles. I live in a rural area. I would never go on a camping trip, horseback riding type of vaca. Why pay money to do that when I can go to the neighbors and do it for free? I spend all summer doing trails, camping (oh so much work), boating activities, fishing (2 hours and I am done, get me out of the boat or strap me on a jet ski). So when I go on an expensive vaca I want something different. Different landscapes, different people, crowds, buildings, activities, entertainment. But I can see how the other activities would be appealing and worth the expense to people who say live in an urban or suburban area.
The heat doesn't bother me, never has. We did 10 days at DW in August. The only time I noticed the heat was at tomorrowland, apparently in the future there is no shade. So we learned to do the rides actually in the MK late at night during the hours reserved for people staying in the park, right before they close, and most of the little kids have gone to bed. Also, for some reason there is a pattern to attendance at the two water parks that some researcher found. Early in the week people tend to go to blizzard beach and later in the week they go to typhoon lagoon. We did the opposite and it wasnt that crowded.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:25 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

HERE!! Here is the difference...in bold....you actually asked your children. You took their wants and interests into consideration.

Now go back and read the original post. The OP decreed that HE was not going to Disney because HE felt that it was a waste of HIS hard earned money. At no time did he say that once the children got older and had opinions would he maybe take them.

He was putting himself and his interests before his children's.

It's not about Disney itself that the uproar started....it's about his declaration.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:53 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Ghostrider is a ride at Knott's Berry Farm, my amusement park of choice.
I love Knott's too, I just don't remember that ride

To be clear to Jasper. Yes, I love Disney, but I certainly don't think it's for everyone or that everyone needs to go

Old 02-27-2013, 08:23 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,679,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
HERE!! Here is the difference...in bold....you actually asked your children. You took their wants and interests into consideration.

Now go back and read the original post. The OP decreed that HE was not going to Disney because HE felt that it was a waste of HIS hard earned money. At no time did he say that once the children got older and had opinions would he maybe take them.

He was putting himself and his interests before his children's.

It's not about Disney itself that the uproar started....it's about his declaration.

"Putting himself and his interests before his children's"???? Really? Sorry, that's just silly.

If OP happens to LOATHE all things Disney (and plenty of people do), he shouldn't be made to feel like he's lacking as a parent for not taking his kids there.

Now, if he chose to loaf all day, or play golf every free moment, or leave the family to go god-knows-where for weeks at a time ---- THAT would be putting his interests above his children's. But if he's working hard and providing for his family and raising them to become responsible, productive citizens, he doesn't "OWE" them a trip to Disney or anywhere else.

The only family vacations I ever went on as a kid was to North Dakota, because that's where Grandma and Grandpa lived. Yep, seriously, every summer: North Dakota. Never did I accuse my parents of putting their interests above mine. But that was back before the entitlement mindset had taken over.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:54 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
Any official school breaks are crowded. The couple of weeks before Christmas are a great time to go, as the park is decorated, but the crowds are thin.

We only went once in the summer. I took my kids tshirts off, and ran them under cold water in the restroom sink, then they put them back on. I only wished I felt comfortable enough to do the same for myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting