Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 03:11 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,971,107 times

Advertisements

My dad pays my bill yeah. I pay all my other bills, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 09:04 PM

649 posts, read 570,991 times
I'll admit it, I still pay for my 20 year old daughter's cell phone. No real reason other than I just never bothered to take her off our plan when she moved out two years ago. She supports herself in every other way so I don't think it's a very big deal.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:55 AM

11 posts, read 8,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Well thank you for that advice. But, we'll decide when to start charging our kids for the expenses we still cover. They're doing quite well, responsibility-wise.
Yes, you sure can decide. Deciding to help your "adult" children become completely self-sufficient would be a better gift to them. You're not always going to be around to fund their lifestyle.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melovescookies View Post
I'll admit it, I still pay for my 20 year old daughter's cell phone. No real reason other than I just never bothered to take her off our plan when she moved out two years ago. She supports herself in every other way so I don't think it's a very big deal.
Test the theory that it's not a big deal. Kindly tell her that you've decided she needs to start paying for her own phone plan... ;-)

Old 02-16-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
My dad pays my bill yeah. I pay all my other bills, though.
Val, why not pay for your own phone plan?

Old 02-16-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
It's sad that all you see is a monetary transaction.

Cell phone service can be a practical gift. If the parents can afford it...why can't they gift their child?
No, I see it as helping one's adult child become 100% self sufficient. Gift a child at Christmas or his/her birthday so they don't see daddy and mommy as a maintainer of their lifestyle.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
I can see piggy backing your kids AAA membership with yours. Especially for a young woman on her own. But a cell phone, really?

You realize that your adult kids aren't putting the saved money away for a rainy day? They are spending it on lattes, pedicures, alcohol, etc.

You would be better of paying for their home phone - seriously. What 21 year old really needs a cell phone. Believe me, if you weren't paying for theirs, I'm sure they would find a way to get their own.
You are right on on all counts, MissNM! Adult children will grow up when they have to. It's the parents who can't allow that.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
I can see piggy backing your kids AAA membership with yours. Especially for a young woman on her own. But a cell phone, really?

You realize that your adult kids aren't putting the saved money away for a rainy day? They are spending it on lattes, pedicures, alcohol, etc.

You would be better of paying for their home phone - seriously. What 21 year old really needs a cell phone. Believe me, if you weren't paying for theirs, I'm sure they would find a way to get their own.
You are right on re adult children not saving money but spending it on manipedi's, latte's, alcohol, etc., MissNM! Parents aren't teaching their children to prepared for adulthood! Adult children will grow up when they have to. It's the parents who can't allow that.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:15 PM

483 posts, read 655,732 times
My mom's deal was she would pay for it until secured a full time teaching job
I started paying it before that though, when I got engaged, because my husband had a well-paying job(I teach art and had a tough time in the past finding a district with an art opening, so my mother has always been willing to help when she can if I need it).

My husband and I are still part his mother's family plan, because its cheaper then just the two of us having a plan and cheaper for his mom and his sister, we just pay our part each month.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:24 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,968,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridiculouss View Post
Yes, you sure can decide. Deciding to help your "adult" children become completely self-sufficient would be a better gift to them. You're not always going to be around to fund their lifestyle.
Says who? You? My sons are well on their way to being completely self-sufficient. We have absolutely no reason to cut all financing off except the opinion of a stranger on the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridiculouss View Post
You are right on on all counts, MissNM! Adult children will grow up when they have to. It's the parents who can't allow that.
Umm, no. Adult children will grow up they have the education and financial where-with-all to do so, not when they hit a discretionary age. Our youngest was just accepted into the PhD program of his dreams. The stipend will cover his room, board and little more. We are willing and able to subsidize his expenses to allow him to live his dream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting