Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 11:02 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,228 times

Advertisements

And the crappy part is people my age look so young, we all still look 17 or 18, so people assume my age group is teens and therefore teens wear revealing clothes, no sorry those are baby faced 20 something's...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 11:10 AM

85 posts, read 192,142 times
I would be weary of the creeps. I would not try to stop her,I might tell her she looks like a goofball or something like that. I would also inform her about the creepers she might attract and to be careful and I myself would keep an eye on what was going on.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:15 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I don't see that here and it's pretty southern here.
People keep talking about it like its all teens wear and I look around and I'm like sayyy whaaaa?

Last teenager I saw wearing a midriff was Sabrina the teenage witch.
Last I checked the 90's were over.
Sorry, but I do. Might not be common in your area, but different regions have different things. I never saw anyone walking around pretending their Alice from Wonderland like that girl, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Can't say I'm happy to see girls wearing cutoffs where I can see the inside pockets sticking out through the bottom, but it was pretty prevalent here last summer. I may or may not have had stern talking-tos to my less than a year old daughter about it when we walked around, lol.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
Sorry, but I do. Might not be common in your area, but different regions have different things. I never saw anyone walking around pretending their Alice from Wonderland like that girl, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Can't say I'm happy to see girls wearing cutoffs where I can see the inside pockets sticking out through the bottom, but it was pretty prevalent here last summer. I may or may not have had stern talking-tos to my less than a year old daughter about it when we walked around, lol.
Well daisy dukes weren't made popular by my generation, originally daisy duke was a thing of my moms generation. Just sayin'.....not our fault. :P

Old 04-12-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
How could she have even understood?

Old 04-12-2013, 11:40 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest4 View Post
use your body and youth while you have it. that's my mantra. i would fully support my daughter in milking her beauty and finding a wealthy man like that old man who married anna nicole smith to take care of her. she gets fame, wealth, and some type of nest to play in. why not? in this case, i absolutely support the girl in the video shown here.

in 2012, kim kardashian made $66 million. i won't even make $1 million in my entire life. that girl did it in a year. and i am college educated and work 60 hour workweeks. to those who hate kim, go back to your honda civics and wannabe palaces while kim enjoys the highest quality of life humans have ever had with pure luxury. oh, she also dates a multi millionaire celebrity. funny how women are jealous of her.
If you want to know what is wrong with American society just read the above. Oh and let's remember where anna Nicole Smith ended up after her stint as the mistress of a wealthy old man. Yeah he married her but fat lot of good it did her. I'd rather drive my Honda Accord then reside in a coffin leaving behind a motherless child or be known for a sex tape which will forever be on the web. Don't you know Kim's children will burst will pride when they learn how Mama became so famous and rich!

Old 04-12-2013, 11:45 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest4 View Post
use your body and youth while you have it. that's my mantra. i would fully support my daughter in milking her beauty and finding a wealthy man like that old man who married anna nicole smith to take care of her. she gets fame, wealth, and some type of nest to play in. why not? in this case, i absolutely support the girl in the video shown here.

in 2012, kim kardashian made $66 million. i won't even make $1 million in my entire life. that girl did it in a year. and i am college educated and work 60 hour workweeks. to those who hate kim, go back to your honda civics and wannabe palaces while kim enjoys the highest quality of life humans have ever had with pure luxury. oh, she also dates a multi millionaire celebrity. funny how women are jealous of her.

What happens when your body ages and fails? "Finding a wealthy man"? The girl in the video is not going to be famous...the net is full of extremely talented people and they will never be famous...real talent is common as the net has shown in the last ten years. This above post is either a joke or the person lives in shallow land...Prostituting yourself or suggesting that your daughter prostitute herself is a disgrace.

Let me give you some insight. I spent 18 years on major movie sets. There were lots of highly attractive wanna be famous women on set. These woman would sleep with producers and actors hoping for an opportunity. All of them became temporary mistresses of these goofs - who used them and in a short time disposed of them and took on a fresh wanna be.

Rule number one - if you want to be respected never mix sex with business...you always lose.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:13 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
How could she have even understood?
It's a joke, hence the "lol."

And I didn't blame your generation (not even knowing your age) for anything.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:42 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,175 times
First of all, this is not anything new. It's just getting attention because of this girl being from the UK, because this sort of thing has been popular in Japan for a long time. Google "Japanese street fashion" and "Japanese Lolita Fashion". But not the usual "Lolita" connotation before everyone flips over that word.

Do I think it's a bit silly? Yeah. So. Teenagers often latch on to silly trends. At least she is not overly sexualized like many young girls. My mother bought me a swimsuit when I was 12, from Frederick's of Hollywood, that was a backless one piece halter style and dipped in the front all the way to my belly button, then was cut high on the hips. THAT is/was disturbing and I question her thinking to this day.

Now, while I never took it to the point of this girl, which I might call regression behavior, actually... I do remember, up to age 9 or so, having tons of frilly pale blue or pale pink dresses with yards and yards of fabric in the skirts, worn with white tights, shiny patent mary janes with buckles, pigtails and hair ribbons... all of those things were part of my childhood and I DID miss all that over the top "girly" stuff when I got older. Heck, sometimes I still do. I wouldn't wear all that (and wouldn't have at 15) but it isn't such a mental reach for me to see why a 15 year old might. i think there's a part of adolescence where the individual wants independence and yet still longs for childhood in some way.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:02 PM

588 posts, read 796,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

What are your personal opinions about this? How would you feel if your daughter was like Venus?
I checked out a couple videos on-line and the editing job was pretty good. Yea, it's kind of weird, but teenagers are supposed to be weird. For what she is trying to do, I think this teen is doing it well.

I don't have a daughter, so I cannot be sure of how I would feel if I had one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting