Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2014, 03:05 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times

Advertisements

Only a month away? You must be incredible excited, even I'm excited! Sounds like a lovely baby shower (apart from the present thing), its great that the whole family is being supportive, I think your daughter and grandchild have a really good chance of decent lives with such a supportive and loving family
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 05:03 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,763,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Only a month away? You must be incredible excited, even I'm excited! Sounds like a lovely baby shower (apart from the present thing), its great that the whole family is being supportive, I think your daughter and grandchild have a really good chance of decent lives with such a supportive and loving family
That's the goal. At first while writing this, I really thought she was destined to be my mom. You all have encouraged me and admonished me into realizing it doesn't have to be that way. And that I have a part in how it turns out.

I really think the key to this is keeping an open mind and just always trying to add sugar and make lemonade.

Good friends of mine helped me a lot when I was so distraught over it. They simply said there are worse things that could happen. It really helped put it into perspective.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:07 AM

854 posts, read 1,482,921 times
She's 19 so I wouldn't say it's really a "teen pregnancy" per se.

I'd be supportive of her, but tell her point black you aren't gonna raise the kid for her. You'll help, but ultimately she has to take responsibility.

Edit: looks like things are turning out well.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:02 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,866,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
That's the goal. At first while writing this, I really thought she was destined to be my mom. You all have encouraged me and admonished me into realizing it doesn't have to be that way. And that I have a part in how it turns out.

I really think the key to this is keeping an open mind and just always trying to add sugar and make lemonade.

Good friends of mine helped me a lot when I was so distraught over it. They simply said there are worse things that could happen. It really helped put it into perspective.
Hi Jersey719,

I read all the posts on your thread here and have no practical advice that hasn't already been mentioned. You sound like a wonderful mother and I'm sure your daughter is happy to have your guidance and emotional support. As we all know, motherhood is exciting but scary for almost all of us no matter what age we are when it happens.

I just wanted to wish you and your family all the best!

Kind regards,
MJ

Old 04-07-2014, 07:15 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
Has she gotten any books like, "What to Expect the First Year" or others? This will help her understand child development a bit more.

Also, does she have a pediatrician lined up and does he/she have access to her hospital?

I am sure you are on top of this of course, I used those types of books excessively the first few months and I had no idea about the pediatrician thing. I ended up having to use an on call pediatrician and she was terrible. She scared me so much because my daughters foot was bent and she made a huge deal out of this. I was hysterical until my mother had a hissy fit and got another pediatrician in to see the baby.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:34 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Pediatricians are not created equal but there's no way to know what you're getting until you start interacting with them. My child had a bloody diaper at 7 days old. Lots of blood. I called and the pediatrician said, "This must be your first baby." What parent wouldn't be freaking out when their 7 day old baby had a diaper filled with blood?!?!?!

Old 04-07-2014, 06:43 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
Baby 411 is good, so is the American Academy of Pediatrics' book, Caring for your Young Child Birth to Age 5. Leave them in the bathroom and everyone will read them!

Old 04-09-2014, 05:04 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,763,548 times
She has the Expecting books but I used one with them all that I will look for.

As far as a pediatrician, I had my horror stories with them and went with my family doctor. That's who they've all seen growing up. She said she plans to do the same.

I'm helping her look for one in our area. She doesn't want to use ours simply because of distance. I understand that.

What a great idea to leave the books around the bathroom!!! I will do that.

She has also decided to give the baby our last name and not dad's. Thoughts on this, anyone?

Old 04-09-2014, 07:04 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,816,936 times
Quote:
She has also decided to give the baby our last name and not dad's. Thoughts on this, anyone?
I think it's fine... is she prepared for the fallout from her ex and his father???

Old 04-09-2014, 07:37 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
That's what I did. Never a regret. It doesn't make sense to have the last name of someone who won't likely be in a child's life. Since people go by children's last names, my husband spent the school years being referred to as Mr. Hopes. (He didn't mind.) That's certainly better than my husband and me being called Mr. and Mrs. Deadbeat-Loser-Dad.

That means that if your daughter gives the child his last name, your daughter and her future husband will be referred to as Mr. and Mrs. Absent-Biological-Father. Is this really a name she wants to hear for eternity? It would be different if he was present in their lives, but he's already refusing to pay child support. That's a big clue he won't be around long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting