Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 05:30 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,792,982 times

Advertisements

**This thread is a split from another one regarding a teen pregnancy**

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
She did hold his feet to the fire for child support - which he was never all that great at paying, even though it was a very small amount.
Please forgive me for asking, but do you mind telling us exactly (or close to exactly) how small this amount was?

Last edited by Jaded; 09-10-2013 at 01:48 AM.. Reason: Split thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 05:48 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,760,532 times
I worked in support enforcement for a while and saw a couple of $20 per week support orders. It can be ridiculously low.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:29 PM

639 posts, read 1,963,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Please forgive me for asking, but do you mind telling us exactly (or close to exactly) how small this amount was?
I've been told being a waiter is a great way to avoid child support. They can only take 50% maximum of his earnings, which is like $3 an hour or so. He makes his living off the tips and pays only a fraction of his true income toward the child.

Last edited by Jaded; 09-10-2013 at 01:41 AM..

Old 09-09-2013, 06:31 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
My girlfriend recently divorced. She was getting 1k per month for two children. It was lowered to $68 per month for two children. Two children, not each child. That's $8.37 per week per child. He owns a successful business (she helped him build) and is rolling in money. Just had a concrete driveway installed, bought two new vehicles, owns multiple properties, sends his other kids to private school. I could go on and on. But he kept taking her back to court and faked his last tax return. She can't afford discovery because she only earns 30k and is broke. He STILL doesn't pay his support on time. He lets it go for 3 months until he risks losing his business licenses and then he always manages to pay some small amount to avoid ramifications.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee188 View Post
I've been told being a waiter is a great way to avoid child support. They can only take 50% maximum of his earnings, which is like $3 an hour or so. He makes his living off the tips and pays only a fraction of his true income toward the child.
In my state, owning a business is a great way because the state won't garnish the wages of a business owner.

Last edited by Jaded; 09-10-2013 at 01:41 AM..

Old 09-09-2013, 06:35 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,277,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My girlfriend recently divorced. She was getting 1k per month for two children. It was lowered to $68 per month for two children. Two children, not each child. That's $8.37 per week per child. He owns a successful business (she helped him build) and is rolling in money. Just had a concrete driveway installed, bought two new vehicles, owns multiple properties, sends his other kids to private school. I could go on and on. But he kept taking her back to court and faked his last tax return. She can't afford discovery because she only earns 30k an is broke. He STILL doesn't pay his support on time. He lets it go for 3 months until he risks losing his business licenses and then he always manages to pay some small amount to avoid ramifications.
She actually should see if there are any women's centers in the area. Often they have, or have contact with pro bono attorneys, who do work like this for people with lower incomes. Another thing she could do that isn't really illegal, is she could simply send fliers around his neighborhood letting people know what a deadbeat he is . He might be more willing to compromise if he starts losing customers, or it affects his life.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:37 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,949,659 times
Personally acquainted with someone who pays 30% of salary for two children. This is a court-ordered sum and is a paycheck deduction.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:38 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,277,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
In my state, owning a business is a great way because the state won't garnish the wages of a business owner.
Sadly, in this country, it's very easy to get around paying child support. Which is why I always laugh when I hear the fathers rights movements cry poor about how women milk poor men for it. The reality is a lot of men don't even pay, and a very small percentage actually pay the full amount. I know my friend Vicky who lives in Canada is going after her babies father, and she said they have all kinds of enforcement measurers there. Wage garnishment, tax refund seizures, putting liens on property, seizing licenses.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I know my friend Vicky who lives in Canada is going after her babies father, and she said they have all kinds of enforcement measurers there. Wage garnishment, tax refund seizures, putting liens on property, seizing licenses.
They have all those enforcement measures in Pennsylvania too. But they won't garnish wages of business owners because the business account is used to make payroll, pay vendors, etc. They can't seize tax refunds because he always ensures he owes taxes via paying low quarterly estimates. The only thing they can go after him for is his business licenses----but only after missing 3 payments in a row. When he's just at the end of three months, he'll send in a payment or partial payment just in time. They can't put liens on property because all of the property is in his new wife's name even though she's a SAHM who hasn't ever worked since marrying him.

My girlfriend made a big mistake by not taking him for half of everything they owned, including half the business. She said, "All I want is for you to help take care of the kids."

Old 09-09-2013, 07:02 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
$240 a month, or something like that - maybe lower. It was the lowest amount that can legally be paid in the state of Texas for one child. I think if you're not working regularly, they determine it based on minimum wage. He has no other children.

Anyway, it doesn't matter, because he's not paying any child support now, and my daughter "absolved" him of all in arrears child support as part of the adoption agreement. That is to say, she agreed not to pursue him for back child support - I think that was all that the court would allow her to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting