Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 05:01 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,449,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I agree that it all seems excessive. But, remember, this is just a bump in the road. Whether or not she was suspended in 7th grade won't matter by the time she gets into high school.

She will still get credit for her grades. So what if her name isn't on the Honor Roll hanging in the hall? I thinks its stupid too, but I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. They can't take away her A's.

I would write a letter to the superintendent, focused on only how the excessive nature of the punishment could be a motivation killer for a girl who has demonstrated a good work ethic to date. I don't think I would appeal any of the punishment in so many words, as I'm sure they wouldn't be willing to set a precedent of backing down from policy.

What I would have HER do, is write a letter of apology to the principal and vice principal. I think your current plans for how she will spend those two days is sufficient.
But, avoid the word killer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 05:03 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,744,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPDAL View Post
OP, I don't see the point of a punishment like this. Does the school think someone who is planning to murder her follow peers is going to make a public hit list? Despite all these regulations, we are no safer then we were before Sandy Hook. It's like the Red Scare all over again but with Sandy Hook.
Well, I guess I am glad you are not an administrator.

BTW, Eric Harris, had posted a public "hit list" on his video game related website before the Columbine massacre. That hit list, was brought to the attention of persons in charge who did nothing about it and the threats he made against teachers and fellow students.

We need to learn from these events that ignoring hit lists and threats is never a good idea.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:24 PM

78 posts, read 154,088 times
hm wow. I think the school is wrong. They knew it was supposed to be a list for a game of characters. This is the problem with the school system. They take away the human element in everything. A good kid gets in trouble for a misunderstanding and then because of policy, even though everyone knows it not an actual threat she gets heaps f punishment. And this will follow her to high school. Maybe not beyond but she will have to repeat this story for every administrator who reads her records. So personally I would appeal the suspension. Common sense is such an under rated thing these days. "Well, the rules in this here little book say I have to suspend a kindergartener for making a shooting gesture with his hand." or better yet the kindergartener that was suspended for eating his bread in the shape of a gun when he was trying to eat it into the shape of a mountain. You see where I am going with this? At some point our society has to apply common sense. If they ren't doing it in the schools how can we expect it anywhere else? Okay. I hope it works out and I dn't think you should punish her at home. It's already over kill at school. (No pun intended)

Old 10-05-2013, 05:39 PM

577 posts, read 900,758 times
I don't think your daughter did anything wrong. The school was way out of line. This was about a video game! With girls she is friends with! I would consult an attorney & try to have this removed from her record and her ability to be on honor roll and go on the trip reinstated. When schools act like this they are abusive to children and need to be held accountable. The only "bully" here is the school. I'd also go to the media and possibly contact the creators of minecraft and post on video game message boards and blogs for public support and possibly get a petition going,

Old 10-05-2013, 06:08 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,968,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid825 View Post
I don't think your daughter did anything wrong. The school was way out of line. This was about a video game! With girls she is friends with! I would consult an attorney & try to have this removed from her record and her ability to be on honor roll and go on the trip reinstated. When schools act like this they are abusive to children and need to be held accountable. The only "bully" here is the school. I'd also go to the media and possibly contact the creators of minecraft and post on video game message boards and blogs for public support and possibly get a petition going,
She DID do something wrong, according the school policy. Ignorance of the policy is not an excuse. Schools are damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

Her 7th grade record will not follow her.

Your response is overkill.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:17 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
This is the problem with your argument.

The intent of the list is NOT obvious to those who are in charge of protecting the public.

Let her take her punishment and move forward with a better understanding of the consequences of her actions.
You are stating that adults, people PAID to make judgments based on education, skills, and experience, are unable to figure out the intent of this list?

If an adult is unable to figure out something as simple as this, I really doubt their ability to do anything else involving kids.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
She DID do something wrong, according the school policy. Ignorance of the policy is not an excuse. Schools are damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

Her 7th grade record will not follow her.

Your response is overkill.
School policy also at one time did not allow blacks to date whites; these are those "highly educated and skilled professionals".

Seems these well paid administrators are just relieving them selves of any ability to make judgments, which then I question why are they being paid the salary they are getting. If they operate in an environment in which judgment is not needed, they should be paid the equivalent of such a function.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Well, I guess I am glad you are not an administrator.

BTW, Eric Harris, had posted a public "hit list" on his video game related website before the Columbine massacre. That hit list, was brought to the attention of persons in charge who did nothing about it and the threats he made against teachers and fellow students.

We need to learn from these events that ignoring hit lists and threats is never a good idea.
And who was killed on that hit list?

Old 10-05-2013, 06:30 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
You are stating that adults, people PAID to make judgments based on education, skills, and experience, are unable to figure out the intent of this list?

If an adult is unable to figure out something as simple as this, I really doubt their ability to do anything else involving kids.
It doesn't matter. The best con artists in the world always have a very plausible back-up explanations for their behavior when caught.

Anyone could attempt to explain away bad behavior by saying, "LOL JK. I wasn't really gonna do anything. It was just a joke."

Old 10-05-2013, 06:31 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
And who was killed on that hit list?
Hardly the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting