Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 01:13 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,438 times

Advertisements

Way to go Mom...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071229/ap_on_re_us/fake_essay_4 (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 03:30 AM

20,343 posts, read 19,930,346 times
A TV station caught up with her and needless to say, she couldn't get away fast enough. Public humiliation is the least she should have to put up with after involving her kid in such a way.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:15 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,125,448 times
What a lesson to be teaching your child. I can't believe the aunt has been justifying this as a "Christmas story" and that the child/mother didn't know the story had to be true. *rolling my eyes*

Old 01-01-2008, 08:08 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times
Hmmmm. Good teaching MOM!! I can see some problems down the road for this mother/child relationship!!

Old 01-01-2008, 08:09 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,049,009 times
hopefully a lesson was learned from this......
what an awful woman to do this!! And last i heard, she was totally trying to justify writing this..."We'd do ANYTHING to win"...and like Sampaguita said, how the mother said she "didnt know the story had to be true" ugh. this woman makes me ill......i hope she is deeply deeply ashamed of herself.
Tiffany

Old 01-01-2008, 09:44 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,125,448 times
What I think is sad is the grief this girl must be getting from classmates/friends in school. Her mother's face has been plastered on the news. I'm sure the 6 yr old didn't come up with this ploy but she's probably paying for it with a lot of teasing thanks to dear ol' mom. It really is shameful on the mother's part. I wonder what the father thinks of all this?

Old 01-01-2008, 11:33 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,820,173 times
Unfortunately the world is full of free loaders and liars.

The penalty for lying in my family is always greater than what would happen if you fess up right from the start.

At times it has been a hard lesson but one that I have felt is a priority in life.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:24 AM

22 posts, read 79,035 times
Unbelievable! Me being a military brat, marrying (though divorcing) the military, and living in an overcrowded military town, it's disgusting that they would even think of using a story like that! Even if I give her the benefit of a doubt that she didn't know it had to be true, it's still unacceptable. Kind of reminds me of "Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory" where that rich little girls father hired all those people to find the Golden Ticket. By all means, make sure these children get everything they want, regardless of what it takes! Sheesh! And you wonder why the younger generation is all about me me me, gimme gimme gimme. I do hope this is a learning lesson, but chances are it isn't. The mother should accept the public humiliation, but the daughter shouldn't have to have the sour aftertaste of it. There goes her 15 minutes of fame...I hope it was worth it.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:06 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Sadly, this happened in my city. I don't recognize the mother nor does anyone I know. Not many people are talking about it anymore around here so that is good. We all thought it was TERRIBLE and this community REALLY pulls together whenever one of our sons or daughters is lost in the military or other tragic events. It was evident the mother knew she was in the wrong as as soon as she started to get questioned about the girls father she got her and ran from the store. I happened to be at the mall that day right down from there about the same time and missed all of the action (thank goodness). She knew she was wrong and is now just trying to cya which is still wrong. I don't think the girl had a clue what even happened before or after the "essay". Pretty sad and pathetic.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:34 PM
pfw

186 posts, read 849,188 times
I'm sorry the little girl has to deal with this but I've got to applaud the company for taking the prize away and awarding it to someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting