Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 08:52 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I'm not even going to bother with the link you've probably all clicked and read about it on facebook.
The two amish girls who's parents & police they fear have been abducted.

The police had to get the parents to cooperate, not because they're guilty but because they A) don't have pictures and 2) They were hesitant on giving a description for a sketch because of their religious beliefs and how they don't believe in photography and would only give one description for the older daughter.
THEIR KIDS WERE ABDUCTED!
REALLY? They're going to let their religious beliefs stand in the way of their little girls safety.
I mean I know they don't have tv's or watch the news but they can't be totally blind to what the eff happens to abducted children....
MIND=BLOWN.
Like no seriously? REALLY?
I just wanna be like please don't have that much faith that you let any amount of time go by before the police know what they are looking for.
Plus if you live on american soil you go by american laws which require full cooperation with the police when they say so or face jail time.

Whether it makes sense to you or you think it is wrong does not really matter.
The Amish have always lived a different way of life than those of us they refer to as "The English".
It is their right to practice their Religion without being forced to do something against their will no matter what the situation.
The Amish are going by American Laws but they are still given Religious Freedom and they believe what happens is God's Will and God's Will is accepted without doubt or hesitation.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:19 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The Amish have always lived a different way of life than those of us they refer to as "The English".
It is their right to practice their Religion without being forced to do something against their will no matter what the situation.
The Amish are going by American Laws but they are still given Religious Freedom and they believe what happens is God's Will and God's Will is accepted without doubt or hesitation.
But the safety of a child?? Like is that not the most important?

Old 08-14-2014, 09:27 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Quote:
Frankly, it is admirable to me that a person would put the love of their God and trust in their God above the earthly view of "safety" of their child. If they lost their trust in God what good would they be to their family?

I do not know a lot about the Amish beliefs, however, I think that they put their trust in God and whatever God does it is His decision. And, God's decision is always the right decision.

God was providing the safety for their children ( His children).

Old 08-14-2014, 09:30 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
I answered your question and I will state again:

What you think is important and right is not what they think is important and right.

The Amish believe all that happens is God's Will and they abide by God's Will without doubt or hesitation.

I cannot make it any more clear however, if you do not believe the same way then you will never understand.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:26 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
Quote:
I'm not even going to bother with the link you've probably all clicked and read about it on facebook.

The police had to get the parents to cooperate, not because they're guilty but because they A) don't have pictures and 2) They were hesitant on giving a description for a sketch because of their religious beliefs and how they don't believe in photography and would only give one description for the older daughter.

REALLY? They're going to let their religious beliefs stand in the way of their little girls safety.
I mean I know they don't have tv's or watch the news but they can't be totally blind to what the eff happens to abducted children....

MIND=BLOWN.

I just wanna be like please don't have that much faith that you let any amount of time go by before the police know what they are looking for.

Plus if you live on american soil you go by american laws which require full cooperation with the police when they say so or face jail time.
You really need to do more research on laws and religious beliefs. The Old Order Amish do not believe in photographs as they believe that would be violating the graven images statute in the Bible. The Amish also do not go back on their beliefs for any reason. They are given exemptions from military service and paying social security, among other things, as well.

Remember the school shooting at the Amish school a few years back? None of the kids or the teacher physically fought back because of the Amish belief in non-violence. Yes, it cost them their lives, but they are willing to stick to their beliefs even if it means death. For what it's worth, the Amish community, including survivors and parents of killed girls, forgave the shooter right away because of their religious beliefs.

You're going to have a heck of a time convincing most Amish to bend their beliefs for any reason.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
No. You may find it wacky and not agree, but God comes before children. In many Christian faiths it goes God, husband, children in the order of importance, and they are not going to go against what they feel God directs for any reason. That would be risking their salvation, and it isn't going to happen.

Old 08-15-2014, 03:29 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Has the OP ever lived among the Amish? It is obvious she knows nothing about their culture. I've lived among Amish my whole life, both in the Lancaster county area and now in Western PA. You couldn't ask for better neighbors. They are very "turn the other cheek" and are hesitant to involve the authorities in any wrongdoing committed toward them. It is also true that they do not allow their photographs to be taken. Like psr13 said in his/her excellent post, it is a violation of their religion.

Old 08-15-2014, 03:48 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times
Quote:
Might seem odd, but on several issues, I'm sure the Amish could look a you and most of America and ask - "how can you do that to your children?".

Old 08-15-2014, 04:22 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,581 times
Quote:

MIND=BLOWN.

These people are so isolated from our society that things which may seem unusual to us are normal to them. Remember, they've ditched anything technologically that has taken place after the Industrial Revolution.

Just imagine you not living with the developments of the past TWENTY YEARS, much less the developments of the past TWO HUNDRED YEARS. "O3H no3Z! I is no gots my ipod!" "O3h no3z! I is no gotz my light bulb?!"

Yeah. Different game altogether. No washing machines, no lightbulbs, no cars, no video games, no mechanical toothbrushes, no computers, no internet, no Nintendos, no Ipads, no Ipods, no cassette players, no radios, no schoolbusses, no machines.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:19 AM

I wanted to amend my previous post by saying that they are not necessarily given military exemptions, but they will not fight, even if it means jail. They are, however, given many other legal exemptions, and many of their beliefs are quite well known by others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting