Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2014, 09:18 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,052,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2seeker View Post
Oh, I did budge. I am less concerned now for this song incident. I am more concerned that so many of you think it is OK for teachers to teach songs that negatively portray school life. Because you are so many and you sound very sensitive (I don't think I am the sensitive one here), that means a big market out there for some style of education that I may not agree. This is a good feedback for me. It explains somewhat what I have been questioning -- why Tennessee's public education is so low ranked in the nation? why teachers in the US are so nervous in dealing with parents, so little paid and so little respected? why so much priority is put on sports, individualism, and much on academic excellency? You all influence how teachers teach and how schools function, and then ultimately influence the education my kid receives. We are all together somewhat. So even if you think I am silly, over sensitive or stupid, at least tolerate the opportunity of discussion.
I don't feel that way about you. I have followed the thread and understand that you received your childhood education outside of the U.S. I welcome opinions from others who were educated under a different system. Things can always be improved. I'd suggest that if your son's school has an organization for parents to join that allows them to be involved with some of the decisions to be made at your son's school, etc. that you try to join it. You will come to the meetings with a different perspective that could have a positive effect on things. Just be prepared that you will cross the paths of many stubborn parents who are resistant to change, many of whom will never see the forest thru the trees.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:41 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Oh, I did budge. I am less concerned now for this song incident. I am more concerned that so many of you think it is OK for teachers to teach songs that negatively portray school life. Because you are so many and you sound very sensitive (I don't think I am the sensitive one here), that means a big market out there for some style of education that I may not agree. This is a good feedback for me. It explains somewhat what I have been questioning -- why Tennessee's public education is so low ranked in the nation? why teachers in the US are so nervous in dealing with parents, so little paid and so little respected? why so much priority is put on sports, individualism, and much less on academic excellency? You all influence how teachers teach and how schools function, and then ultimately influence the education my kid receives. We are all together somewhat. So even if you think I am silly, over sensitive or stupid, at least tolerate the opportunity of discussion.
I feel the need to remind you that your son has been to ONE practice.

So you obviously have an axe to grind about the education system in the US, even though it was apparently good enough for you to partake in for at least your own advanced degree.

You have mentioned dissatisfaction with SEVERAL issues in this one post. My advice is to narrow down your battles. Get the facts. Ask questions. And along the way please make sure your son is not collateral damage.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:49 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I feel the need to remind you that your son has been to ONE practice.

So you obviously have an axe to grind about the education system in the US, even though it was apparently good enough for you to partake in for at least your own advanced degree.

You have mentioned dissatisfaction with SEVERAL issues in this one post. My advice is to narrow down your battles. Get the facts. Ask questions. And along the way please make sure your son is not collateral damage.
If you look back at his other posts....he also wants to pick what teachers his son has....can we say control issues? What the hell is he doing in the US (and Tennessee no less!) if he thinks we are are all so academically lacking?

This isn't about one silly song....

Old 08-27-2014, 06:34 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,261,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
I wonder if that song would pass muster in any US school today.

...eating a pop-tart into the shape of a gun...

Funny that you should mention that incident. I went to school in the system that included the school where it occurred. Anne Arundel County, Maryland.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:59 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Oh, I did budge. I am less concerned now for this song incident. I am more concerned that so many of you think it is OK for teachers to teach songs that negatively portray school life.
Ummmm... no one reading along on this thread has any idea what that song is about, so you might want to hold off on that bit of judgement. You've decided the song promotes an anti-school attitude. We don't know that. All we have are the few lines you posted. You've been asked several times to post the title and lyrics. If you did that, people could decide for themselves what the song is about you might get very different reactions. For all we know it could be satire. Americans love satire. The popularity of Mark Twain, Gary Trudeau, Jon Stewart and fifty years of Mad magazine attests to that.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 08-27-2014 at 09:37 AM..

Old 08-27-2014, 09:29 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,035,578 times
This thread is hilarious. If you don't like the song that your son is singing, then pull him out of the choir program or the school.

However, you might as well prepare yourself and your son for an entire lifetime of quitting teams, leaving parties, removing oneself from programs, etc because you will both be exposed to quite a lot of things in the real world that you won't agree with.

You can't shelter yourself forever, much less your son who is going to have his own opinions and thoughts one day.

Maybe you should consider moving to a commune?

A blade that cannot flex will break and all that.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:03 AM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Good time for your child to learn that songs, movies, tv shows are art/entertainment, not guides to how you live life.

Otherwise he really would go out and eat pizza while living in a sewer, no?

Old 08-27-2014, 11:30 AM

45 posts, read 48,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Ummmm... no one reading along on this thread has any idea what that song is about, so you might want to hold off on that bit of judgement. You've decided the song promotes an anti-school attitude. We don't know that. All we have are the few lines you posted. You've been asked several times to post the title and lyrics. If you did that, people could decide for themselves what the song is about you might get very different reactions. For all we know it could be satire. Americans love satire. The popularity of Mark Twain, Gary Trudeau, Jon Stewart and fifty years of Mad magazine attests to that.
I like Jon Stewart a lot, to make some common ground here.

So here is the complete lyrics:

I wanna go home
I wanna leave my school, my pencil, paper and books.
I’m tired of it all
I’m tired of study, recitation, questioning looks
I want my iPod
I want my tv
I wanna get away from it all

Old 08-27-2014, 11:32 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post

Funny that you should mention that incident. I went to school in the system that included the school where it occurred. Anne Arundel County, Maryland.
That incident was funny(not) to the point MD is now one of the bluest states in the nation with a hard gun control stance and is running a large firearms manufacturer out of state.

Gee, I gotta move away from this madness. Pop tarts are on the DHS list of posible terrorist threats.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:40 AM

45 posts, read 48,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
This thread is hilarious. If you don't like the song that your son is singing, then pull him out of the choir program or the school.

However, you might as well prepare yourself and your son for an entire lifetime of quitting teams, leaving parties, removing oneself from programs, etc because you will both be exposed to quite a lot of things in the real world that you won't agree with.

You can't shelter yourself forever, much less your son who is going to have his own opinions and thoughts one day.

Maybe you should consider moving to a commune?

A blade that cannot flex will break and all that.
It is not about the song and the exposure. It is about whether songs like this should come from TEACHERS, who I respect and want my kids to respect. What if the teacher teaches a song, intended to be silly, that says "I like to smoke a cigarette in the classroom, see my teacher screaming, other girls looking at me". also funny, right? and do you see the difference if this line is in a pop song or in one taught by a teacher?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting