Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 12:06 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times

Advertisements

I doubt a District Attorney would pursue such a charge in that case, but if you were at the snack bar when it happened, you'd have reason to worry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 11:26 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,741 times
And meanwhile, people do things like this, and no one pretty much bats an eye, all they get is a 'tut-tut' and people discussing putting up a fence And yet people who left kids in the car for a few minutes had been arrested.

Gotta love the absolute logic and fairness at work here
I.don't.get.it.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:15 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
And meanwhile, people do things like this, and no one pretty much bats an eye, all they get is a 'tut-tut' and people discussing putting up a fence And yet people who left kids in the car for a few minutes had been arrested.

I.don't.get.it.
Eeek! I couldn't go that near the edge, let alone put a baby there! But the article did say that there was outrage, not just some mere tut-tutting, to be fair.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:29 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willowtree2222 View Post
All PARENTS ONLY please.. Please tell me have you ever left your child in the car to run into a store/post office/ etc for less then 1 minute?? And is that illegal?

No

and it is quite illegal in a lot of states

Your "minute" is enough time for a cop to show up, break the window, and take your kids someplace safe

-but officer it was only a minute

not a excuse

Old 09-17-2014, 11:30 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
Quote:

I.don't.get.it.

Okay, I know whenever i make a point I find completely unrelated topics (look at these kids being armed for ISIS, and you worry about kids in the car).

I mean what is your point

how about not leaving your kids on a rock

AND

not leaving your kids in a car

Old 09-17-2014, 02:53 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willowtree2222 View Post
All PARENTS ONLY please.. Please tell me have you ever left your child in the car to run into a store/post office/ etc for less then 1 minute?? And is that illegal?
No, I never did that. Had I left a child in a car, I knew that someone would hit the car and it would burst into flames or fire rescue would need to use the Jaws of Life to get him or her out. What would my excuse be? I was in a hurry? That sounds pretty lame.

Last edited by Gerania; 09-17-2014 at 03:08 PM..

Old 09-17-2014, 04:42 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Okay, I know whenever i make a point I find completely unrelated topics (look at these kids being armed for ISIS, and you worry about kids in the car).

I mean what is your point

how about not leaving your kids on a rock

AND

not leaving your kids in a car
My point is public reaction - the rock things is incredibly more dangerous than the car, yet while there's some judging of these parents, no one is running to arrest them and take their kids away - yet they do when they see a kid in a car. And I mean the rock is just one drastic example - but people do, or allow their kids to do, things everyday that are way way more dangerous and statistically risky than leaving them in a car, and again they don't get judged for it. Moreover some of them spout on proudly how they're raising confident 'free-range' kids and the like.
I just don't get that - what is it about the car in particular that evokes such a reaction? Is it just because it's so publicly 'noticeable' as opposed to the countless dangers many parents subject kids to at home?

Old 09-17-2014, 06:00 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
People do judge those "free range" parents and often call the authorities. It's just not reported on as much.

I ended a friendship because she drove with my child not buckled into her car seat. I was still nice to her, but I was never letting my kid in that vehicle again.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:53 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:

I.don't.get.it.
Please note - that rock is in Norway, not in the US. There is a different culture there though I am sure people were outraged. Those parents are nuts.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:39 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
Quote:
My point is public reaction - the rock things is incredibly more dangerous than the car, yet while there's some judging of these parents, no one is running to arrest them and take their kids away - yet they do when they see a kid in a car. And I mean the rock is just one drastic example - but people do, or allow their kids to do, things everyday that are way way more dangerous and statistically risky than leaving them in a car, and again they don't get judged for it. Moreover some of them spout on proudly how they're raising confident 'free-range' kids and the like.
I just don't get that - what is it about the car in particular that evokes such a reaction? Is it just because it's so publicly 'noticeable' as opposed to the countless dangers many parents subject kids to at home?
Because it was Norway. They don't arrest people for being stupid in Norway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting