Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 10:38 AM

6,319 posts, read 7,265,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Thank you, it drives me nuts when parents say dumb stuff like, "You'll catch your death of cold!" or "If you play in the rain you'll get sick." Getting sick is caused by germs, viruses, bacteria, etc., not from being cold or wet.

Utterly false, being cold and wet lowers the immune system which then leads to susceptibility.

Get it right please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Was the child dressed appropriately for the weather? Was he well nourished? In the absence of signs of abuse or neglect, I think it would be a mistake to call the police. That being said, something has you worried, so keep an eye out.
All these judgement calls.

I didn't think he was in trouble

I didn't think it was my business

I didn't think I should get involved

NEWSFLASH- if its a CHILD, of ANY stature, tall, short, fat, thin - HES AT RISK.

To pass by without lifting a finger is PART OF THE PROBLEM.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:41 AM

18,163 posts, read 15,687,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrpackman View Post
Tonight I found a scared, cold 13 year old boy walking down a dark country road. He had no coat. He said his mom made him get out of the car for 'mouthing off'. He was quiet and respectful and obviously shaken. I got him home safe which was a mile and a half down the road. My question: should i call the police, even if he didn't want me to?
Some time back , I was playing catch in the front yard with my son. The yard was right out close to the county road. This little boy came trundling in, no more than maybe four. No shirt, no shoes, hair that made a tumblweed look neat, only PJ bottoms on.It was late Fall, but still warm, thankfully. He just walked right up to us, sucking on his fingers. For all the world, he reminded me of a stray puppy.

He was quite alone, no adult in sight. My son said he thought he knew where he lived, as he walked by the place to and from the school bus. So we went up there, bhanged on the door..no answer. There was a car in the driveway, but it seemed nobody was about. The little dude didn't talk at all. He just nodded yes, when we asked if this was his house. He just gave us a blank look at all other questions. Like, who his parents were, where they could be, brothers, sisters etc.

Talk about a cunundrum. So, we took him back to our place, dished him up some chow, which he attacked like that, proverbial stray puppy, and called the deputies. When they showed, we explained the situation, and they were going to take him home, but he three a FIT, when they tried to put him in the car. Would have been easier to shove a Bobcat in a sack.

So, they just left him with us, and went up to his house. Well, the "mother" and her boyfriend had come home, drunk as a couple outhouse rats, it seemed. Clueless, they were, the boy was missing. Long story short, things didn't go well for them with the deputies. The poor kid had to go with them then. It was massive ugly and very sad. I wonder, sometimes, if it would be a bad idea , to have a litmus test for having kids. I'm not advocating that, just a stray thought, is all.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:42 AM

You should all read up on Daniel Morecombe.

Stood on highway, broad daylight, age 13.

The bus driver went straight past, wasn't his problem, was running late.

3 minutes later, Daniel was GONE, only to be recovered in tiny bone fragments a decade later.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:51 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,427,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
All these judgement calls.

I didn't think he was in trouble

I didn't think it was my business

I didn't think I should get involved

NEWSFLASH- if its a CHILD, of ANY stature, tall, short, fat, thin - HES AT RISK.

To pass by without lifting a finger is PART OF THE PROBLEM.
Is the answer to lock our thirteen-year-olds in their rooms and never to let them out of our sight?

Here's another NEWSFLASH: Grown-ups occasionally disappear, too.

Based on what the OP shared, I do not think calling the police is called for absent other indications of a problem. If the OP was so worried, why did he not get out of the car and walk the kid to the door? There, he could have greeted the parent and assessed the situation further.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Is the answer to lock our thirteen-year-olds in their rooms and never to let them out of our sight?

Here's another NEWSFLASH: Grown-ups occasionally disappear, too.

Based on what the OP shared, I do not think calling the police is called for absent other indications of a problem. If the OP was so worried, why did he not get out of the car and walk the kid to the door? There, he could have greeted the parent and assessed the situation further.

this is a ridiculous response.

How on earth did a child wandering cold dark roads at night turn into LOCKING them in their rooms? What are you ON?

As a human being on Planet Earth, ANY distressed child in circumstances that are Beyond Normal, needs HELP!!!!

The correct helping agency in this Possible Child Abuse Scenario is the POLICE. END OF!

Old 01-05-2015, 11:23 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,629,845 times
It's called parenting! Teens today are so rude and have so little respect for adults/patents/teachers/elders that walking a mile will barely make a tiny dent in their behaviors!!!! Why is it always the parents fault and kids can do no wrong! I would have let him walk home and spend a few days apologizing for whatever he did. Parents don't go to these extremes for no reason!

Old 01-05-2015, 11:27 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,427,828 times
I'm not ON anything. I've had two thirteen-year-old boys. Neither one of them would wear a coat unless forced, even in freezing weather (I have no idea why teen boys refuse coats, but it seems to be common), and both of them have been mouthy enough at times that I might have considered kicking them out of a car.

You think the situation warranted police involvement. I think the situation warranted being watchful but did not require a call to law enforcement. I'm not interested in arguing with you about it. I was simply expressing my opinion. That is all. Go be all indignant and outraged with someone else.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I'm not ON anything. I've had two thirteen-year-old boys. Neither one of them would wear a coat unless forced, even in freezing weather (I have no idea why teen boys refuse coats, but it seems to be common), and both of them have been mouthy enough at times that I might have considered kicking them out of a car.

You think the situation warranted police involvement. I think the situation warranted being watchful but did not require a call to law enforcement. I'm not interested in arguing with you about it. I was simply expressing my opinion. That is all. Go be all indignant and outraged with someone else.
You would drive by? A child, distressed, on a cold road at night?

Shameful.

Remember, evil can only thrive because Good People Look Away.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:51 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,812,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Some time back , I was playing catch in the front yard with my son. The yard was right out close to the county road. This little boy came trundling in, no more than maybe four. No shirt, no shoes, hair that made a tumblweed look neat, only PJ bottoms on.It was late Fall, but still warm, thankfully. He just walked right up to us, sucking on his fingers. For all the world, he reminded me of a stray puppy.

He was quite alone, no adult in sight. My son said he thought he knew where he lived, as he walked by the place to and from the school bus. So we went up there, bhanged on the door..no answer. There was a car in the driveway, but it seemed nobody was about. The little dude didn't talk at all. He just nodded yes, when we asked if this was his house. He just gave us a blank look at all other questions. Like, who his parents were, where they could be, brothers, sisters etc.

Talk about a cunundrum. So, we took him back to our place, dished him up some chow, which he attacked like that, proverbial stray puppy, and called the deputies. When they showed, we explained the situation, and they were going to take him home, but he three a FIT, when they tried to put him in the car. Would have been easier to shove a Bobcat in a sack.

So, they just left him with us, and went up to his house. Well, the "mother" and her boyfriend had come home, drunk as a couple outhouse rats, it seemed. Clueless, they were, the boy was missing. Long story short, things didn't go well for them with the deputies. The poor kid had to go with them then. It was massive ugly and very sad. I wonder, sometimes, if it would be a bad idea , to have a litmus test for having kids. I'm not advocating that, just a stray thought, is all.
What does this have to do with the OP? How odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting