Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 08:32 AM

4,677 posts, read 2,061,178 times

Advertisements

For those that don't know what a brony is, it's a boy that likes My Little Pony. My son recently turned 11 and is a self declared brony. This past week he has been telling/asking me about telling friends at school but he is afraid all the other kids will make fun of him. In a perfect world, I want him to be able to tell whomever he wants but I know kids can be mean. I don't want to say for him to tell people if he can handle bullies, he shouldn't have to. But is it wrong to make him keep it a secret as well. Not sure what the right answer is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 08:50 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,882 times
Nothing. It could be a LOT worse. If kids make fun of him for being who he is, those are not people he needs to associate with anyway. My son is into My Little Pony as well. It seems a LOT of boys are, and it isn't just a girls show anymore. He and his friends are also really into Littlest Pet Shop and Girl Meets World. He is only 7 though.

And yes, kids can be mean, but if it isn't My Little Pony, they will find something else. Kids aren't born mature, but will come with time. Best of luck

Old 10-02-2014, 09:06 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
I always told my children to fly their freak flags, but they didn't have any attributes or interests that were particularly unusual for their ages. I simply meant be proud of who they are---don't worry about what others think of you---when I said that.

If they presented me with a situation like you describe, I would have validated their instincts were accurate that people will make fun of him. That's really all he was asking. Then I would ask how they felt about that, etc..

He just wants to have a conversation with you about it. His question was trying to open a dialog. Just talk it through with him. Let him lead the conversation because the decision is up to him. Ask him questions about what he thinks and how he feels. Brainstorm different scenarios. That sort of thing.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:07 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,912 times
i'd buy him some ponies lol

Being a brony is an accepted thing....I wouldn't stress. Unless he comes home complaining of bullying, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:07 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Never heard of a brony, but, ok...

Roll playing different scenarios as to how the other kids might react, and how your son could then respond might be helpful.
Honestly though, that's a tough age, and I don't see him finding any kindred spirits to support him.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:09 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
I guess I'm not in the loop regarding bronies. I'd best bow out here.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:49 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Insight: Urban Dictionary: Brony

It appears brony culture is pretty over the top and in your face with constantly talking about everything brony.

Since he doesn't know if any of his friends like Little Pony, how did he find out about Brony? Is he spending a lot of time on the internet getting hyped up by all the drama surrounding the Brony culture?

It seems most people don't care if someone likes little pony. They're annoyed by their constant attempts to spread Brony like religion or claiming victimization like a minority group.

I'd be less concerned about my child liking Little Pony and more concerned with making sure he/she doesn't get swept away by the Brony culture to the extreme end. Since Bronies range in age up to 30 years old, this may not be a passing pre-teen interest. There are even Brony conventions.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:59 AM

4,677 posts, read 2,061,178 times
He does look up my little pony online and I think he found it that way. But for the most part he just likes watching the show and looking at funny pictures of it. And that's been going on for a little while since spring maybe. The brony thing is a new comment and I think it does help him not feel as embarrassed that he was the only boy who liked the show. I don't think he is trying to spread the bronyness(?) And I don't know if he is hyped up by the culture of it, but he does know off the kid who was bullied at school and tried committing suicide. And it doesn't really bother me at all that he watches my little pony, there is worse stuff out there to watch. Main reason I started this conversation is because I've seen/heard online about the bullying regarding mlp and wasn't sure what to tell him when he came asking. I will definitely be asking him more questions tonight when we are at home.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:03 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,704 times
I would sit down and talk with him and let him know that it is ok if he wants to tell his friends.. If they don't seem interested or try and make fun of it, tell him to just not mention it anymore.. Kids can at times be cruel..Even your best friends..Maybe ESPECIALLY your best friends... But friends will always be there no matter what.....

Heck I am 56 and I watch Handy Manny....

Old 10-02-2014, 11:03 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times
I would not allow it, and will not allow it when my boys get older. Boys who follow these types of cultural trends tend to end up as outcasts. You will not get grandchildren from these types of kids. The brony phenomena also evolves in to some pretty sickening and perverted stuff as the bronies get older. Google the word "clopping" if you want to know what I'm talking about. I understand your son's interest is probably perfectly innocent but the innocent and sinister sides of this culture tend to intermingle, especially online. Even the youngsters end up getting exposed to some very disturbing people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting