Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 11:57 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,225,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Perhaps THIS will help -

there is Mandatory Reporting where I live.

This means, in essence, that you DONT sit about applying your Own Personal Moral Code to any situation where you find a Child at Risk.

Mandatory Reporting means that you REPORT, without first making personal judgement.

The IMPORTANT part of the equation is this -

A CHILD WAS WANDERING ALONE AND COLD ON A DARK NIGHT.

HOW he got there is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!!!

The fact he is THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE is the REPORTABLE PART!!!!!

that is ABUSE. He is a CHILD. You have NO IDEA WHAT HE'S RUNNING FROM now do you?

The only folks who are charged to FIND OUT, are the AUTHORITIES.

its REPORTABLE.

I simply cannot believe how STUPID some folk are.

Oh and btw if you bothered to read the Daniel Morcombe case I referred to you will know this 13 year old boy vanished in Broad Daylight, not because he "got into a car" but because everyone GOOD passed him by, including the bus driver, and the 2 minutes he stood there alone enabled him to be SNATCHED by the NEXT CAR .

"not my problem" said the Witnesses, BEFORE they found his tiny bones.

Afterward, they were not so smug.
Why are you not answering my questions about kids walking to and from school without coats, and asking you to specify exactly what about this situation is abusive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 12:00 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,225,680 times
And I've never heard of mandatory reporting being a local thing. Teachers are mandatory reporters. Health care workers are mandatory reporters. Never have I heard of it being mandated for everyone in a certain locale. Also, I still don't see what was abusive about this.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:47 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,998,412 times
Quote:
Perhaps THIS will help -

This means, in essence, that you DONT sit about applying your Own Personal Moral Code to any situation where you find a Child at Risk.

Mandatory Reporting means that you REPORT, without first making personal judgement.

The IMPORTANT part of the equation is this -

A CHILD WAS WANDERING ALONE AND COLD ON A DARK NIGHT.

HOW he got there is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!!!

The fact he is THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE is the REPORTABLE PART!!!!!

that is ABUSE. He is a CHILD. You have NO IDEA WHAT HE'S RUNNING FROM now do you?

The only folks who are charged to FIND OUT, are the AUTHORITIES.

its REPORTABLE.

Oh and btw if you bothered to read the Daniel Morcombe case I referred to you will know this 13 year old boy vanished in Broad Daylight, not because he "got into a car" but because everyone GOOD passed him by, including the bus driver, and the 2 minutes he stood there alone enabled him to be SNATCHED by the NEXT CAR .

"not my problem" said the Witnesses, BEFORE they found his tiny bones.

Afterward, they were not so smug.
Oh please. Show me a law where 13 yr olds aren't allowed to walk 1.5 miles. We have no idea what time the OP saw the boy, we have no idea just exactly how cold it was, and we have no idea what transpired before the mother turned him out of the car.

Nobody here is "stupid". We just rely more on facts and less on hyperbole.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,957,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
And I've never heard of mandatory reporting being a local thing. Teachers are mandatory reporters. Health care workers are mandatory reporters. Never have I heard of it being mandated for everyone in a certain locale. Also, I still don't see what was abusive about this.
Agreed. I believe in our state, child care workers are also mandatory reporters. But this is not the old Soviet Union or East Germany where everyone was encouraged to spy on and report everyone else.

Unless there is way more that we don't know about, this does not sound like an abusive situation to me. The child was not running from something, he was going home. If it is unsafe to leave a child alone outside for two minutes, things have gotten pretty bad. You can't run your life based on freak incidents like the Daniel Morcombe case.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:44 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,405,169 times
Mandatory reporting of what exactly? An eighth-grader was walking alone in the dark without a coat. That's pretty much the extent of what we know, and that in and of itself is not abuse. Not even close. Sorry. There has to be more to warrant calling law enforcement. I really wish the OP would come back and clarify the story, because it appears we're all bound to go round and round about this until he does.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:19 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,713,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Yeah, probably after getting into a car with a creep.

I would rather my kid walk a mile and a half (or five) than get into a car with a 'well-meaning' stranger.
You aren't joking about that. This thread has re-educated me about what it means to drown in a glass of water.

The more I think about this, the more bizarre the whole thing sounds. Maybe the OP is some brand of creep. What "concerned" the OP so much that he stopped to offer a ride to some random teen walking down the side of a road? The kid wasn't lying in a ditch or next to a crashed bicycle. He was walking. Who stops to give rides to random teens?

Old 01-06-2015, 06:44 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,502,533 times
Quote:
Perhaps THIS will help -

...snip...

Whether the child was "at risk" is questionable. By making the decisions that he was, you are indeed making a personal judgement.

Not enough information available from the OP to know whether any additional action is warranted.

As to the last part of your post?

Old 01-06-2015, 07:02 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,244,160 times
Quote:

Do you keep your phone handy to report people like the OP who are picking up solo kids, who they do not know, as they walk down dark roads?

Old 01-06-2015, 07:02 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,663,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
What does this have to do with the OP? How odd.
Goes to a child in distress situation. Whether this teen deserved having to walk home, or not, seeing a kid in a bad situation gets folks worked up. In this case, maybe he wasn't that bad off, but just ignoring him and driving by , one takes a risk that, maybe, he DOES need help.

Involving the police, in this case, seems extreme, the incident in my post, it wasn't so extreme. So it makes a comparison, in that regard, as well. (Shrug) didn't seem so odd to me, but different people think differently.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:51 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,508,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Do you keep your phone handy to report people like the OP who are picking up solo kids, who they do not know, as they walk down dark roads?
What's frightening is that I think she probably does. Certainly there is this contingent of militant parent police out there these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting