Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 11:55 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,439,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
You would drive by? A child, distressed, on a cold road at night?
You read more into my post than was there. Nowhere did I imply thatI would have driven by, only that I did not think calling law enforcement was necessary given the information as stated in the OP. Once again, go be indignant and outraged with somebody else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 12:04 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,130,478 times
Quote:
Utterly false, being cold and wet lowers the immune system which then leads to susceptibility.

Get it right please.
Extreme exposure does lower one's resistance to disease. Walking 1.5 miles without a coat, not so much.

Quote:
You should all read up on Daniel Morecombe.

Stood on highway, broad daylight, age 13.

The bus driver went straight past, wasn't his problem, was running late.

3 minutes later, Daniel was GONE, only to be recovered in tiny bone fragments a decade later.
Freak things do happen. We cannot guard against everything. Heck, last summer, many people on this forum, probably some of the same ones who are apoplectic over this situation, were arguing IN FAVOR of letting a nine year old hang out in a park all day while the mother worked. There was tons of sympathy for this mother who did not arrange day care for her child. Here, we know nothing about what happened to cause the mom to kick the kid out of the car, and she's abusive, a meth-head, whatever. My educated guess is it's something like what zentropia posted above, and what glass_of_merlot posted a while back.

Quote:

Shameful.

Remember, evil can only thrive because Good People Look Away.
Oh, please! If it were me, I probably would have driven by, yes. I don't know what moved the OP to pick this child up in the first place. We don't even know what time this happened. It might have been 5 PM; it's dark here by then. I see plenty of young teens walking around by themselves, even at night, and I don't think I should pick them up. As for the coatless issue, plenty of teen boys around here wear sweatshirts except in the coldest of weather.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:09 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,498,661 times
Quote:
Utterly false, being cold and wet lowers the immune system which then leads to susceptibility.

Get it right please.
Only if exposed for DAYS.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:16 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,476,421 times
Quote:
You should all read up on Daniel Morecombe.
Stood on highway, broad daylight, age 13.
The bus driver went straight past, wasn't his problem, was running late.
3 minutes later, Daniel was GONE, only to be recovered in tiny bone fragments a decade later.
Yeah, probably after getting into a car with a creep.

cinderslipper is on a campaign to get people to teach their kids to get into cars with strangers on lonely country roads.

I would rather my kid walk a mile and a half (or five) than get into a car with a 'well-meaning' stranger.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:20 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,517,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Google "Paul Bernardo" and you'll be glad you didn't.
I just have to comment on this. I'm from the town next door to Paul Bernardo, was 14yrs old when he and his wife were killing kids and used to take dance class with one of his victims. But I also understand statistics and statistically something like that happening is so rare it's almost impossible. So a crime from 24yrs ago doesn't really scare me. Not to mention of course that his victims were teenage girls. It's also worth noting that my friends and I continued to walk home from school daily during the whole mess.

I have to be honest here. This thread is kind of the end of my patience with the Parenting board. Somehow we've reached a point where just because you wouldn't personally make a similar parenting decision, it's worth a call to the cops. It's worth having the parents questioned, perhaps the other children separated from their parents and questioned by police and social workers, the house inspected. What is the point? To make sure there's no abuse? Really do you think that's likely? Do you think that we should have CPS check everyone you disagree with just in case? Just because someone isn't a great parent doesn't mean they need intervention from the police. Being a crappy parent isn't illegal, being a dangerous and abusive parent is.

Unless I've missed a post somewhere the OP has never said it was freezing out, that the kid had bruises or looked malnourished, there's no reason to think that this kid is anything but a 13yr old walking home without a coat...oh well.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:22 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,280,062 times
Quote:
this is a ridiculous response.

How on earth did a child wandering cold dark roads at night turn into LOCKING them in their rooms? What are you ON?

As a human being on Planet Earth, ANY distressed child in circumstances that are Beyond Normal, needs HELP!!!!

The correct helping agency in this Possible Child Abuse Scenario is the POLICE. END OF!
Should we call the police every time we see a 13 year old walking down the street? We and the police would be pretty darn busy, in that case. 13 year olds routinely walk to and from school in cold weather without coats sometimes before the sun is up here. What is so different about the op's scenario that it warrants police intervention?

Old 01-05-2015, 12:29 PM

14,373 posts, read 18,453,537 times
I was just driving down the country road to my father's house the other day. It has no shoulder. Even though I was driving slowly I almost hit a young man walking to his job a few miles away. It was a blind curve where guardrails necessitated that he walk in the road to continue on his path. It's a very dangerous road, but because of a remote fast food restaurant a couple miles away, the pedestrians (all workers) have become more frequent.

On that kind of "country road", if you add in that this kid (in the OP) had no coat and he was clearly frightened, yeah, I probably would have called social services to at least do a welfare check.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:42 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,635,206 times
Quote:

Shameful.

Remember, evil can only thrive because Good People Look Away.
Really? Do you know what he did to deserve that? I am appalled at those childless wannabe policers who think they know what's best! Distressed? what was he doing? waving down cars? screaming?

I think this is being blown way out of proportion! You obviously didn't grow up in the 80's, 70's, and below when parents parented their kids, and are probably some suburb well bubbled up child yourself to make such statement!

What details do you know? here is a 7 year old in DISTRESS:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/curre...-year-old.html

THAT is DISTRESS!

Old 01-05-2015, 12:43 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,271,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Yeah, probably after getting into a car with a creep.

cinderslipper is on a campaign to get people to teach their kids to get into cars with strangers on lonely country roads.

I would rather my kid walk a mile and a half (or five) than get into a car with a 'well-meaning' stranger.
if you read my reply you would know I was about the ONLY one advocating calling the police.

I would not pick up a child myself. I would stop, and wait with that child until help came.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:46 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,271,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Really? Do you know what he did to deserve that? I am appalled at those childless wannabe policers who think they know what's best! Distressed? what was he doing? waving down cars? screaming?

I think this is being blown way out of proportion! You obviously didn't grow up in the 80's, 70's, and below when parents parented their kids, and are probably some suburb well bubbled up child yourself to make such statement!

What details do you know? here is a 7 year old in DISTRESS:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/curre...-year-old.html

THAT is DISTRESS!
this is what annoys me.

YOU ASSUME you KNOW the circumstances.

You ASSUME that child is somehow deserving of a punishment.

This seems UTTERLY BIZARRE to me, knowing the child abuse stats.

I would absolutely view a 13 year old on a cold road without a coat, at night, as being ABUSED and therefore should report that to the appropriate authorities, no matter WHAT other judgements or assumptions I might like to make.

because it IS ABUSE.

Dya think the Police will deliver the kid home, shucks no harm done? No, they will ask appropriate questions as would be my concern, indeed, INTENT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting