Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 09:11 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Sad that we as a nation have come to this... :
Come to this?
It has NEVER been acceptable to put your hands on strangers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 09:33 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Come to this?
It has NEVER been acceptable to put your hands on strangers.
Ahhh, the good ole days, when Americans were free to run around touching other people's children at will.

No, wait, that didn't happen. It's just the rose-colored glass in that rear-view mirror.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:44 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,405,638 times
In that case you described.. yes, it's inappropriate.

I'd be VERY cautious of any man touching my kid that I didn't know. I'm a mom myself and there has been a rare guy that tries to talk to my kid and get touchy/playful with them - all the while ignoring me like I wasn't even standing there. That sets off MAJOR red flags and I quickly get my kid away from people like that.

On the flip side: I've also had men interested in ME, paying great attention to me, flirting, etc. And they realized I had a child so they acknowledge them and make a bit of small talk or "hey kiddo.. how's it going? Are you having fun?" and then turn back to focusing on me again. There's nothing wrong with that scenario.

Parents though... we can tell the difference between pedos and sincerely genuine good guys who are just being polite to our kid(s) because they're with us.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:46 AM

By the way.. with a name like "SexxiBoi" making a post like this, you've already set off my alarms.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:50 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
In that case you described.. yes, it's inappropriate.

I'd be VERY cautious of any man touching my kid that I didn't know. I'm a mom myself and there has been a rare guy that tries to talk to my kid and get touchy/playful with them - all the while ignoring me like I wasn't even standing there. That sets off MAJOR red flags and I quickly get my kid away from people like that.

On the flip side: I've also had men interested in ME, paying great attention to me, flirting, etc. And they realized I had a child so they acknowledge them and make a bit of small talk or "hey kiddo.. how's it going? Are you having fun?" and then turn back to focusing on me again. There's nothing wrong with that scenario.

Parents though... we can tell the difference between pedos and sincerely genuine good guys who are just being polite to our kid(s) because they're with us.
Just saying that I disagree about 100% with the bolded. The vast majority of pedophiles are people known to the victims--relatives, clergy people and others in trusted positions. Statistically speaking, most parents have much less to fear from a stranger in the grocery line tickling a baby's toes than from Uncle Bob or the youth minister at their church.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:00 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
If you live in South Texas, or someplace with a similar culture, and praise a child, sometimes you are also expected to touch the child, to ward off the Evil Eye.

Mal de Ojo, The Evil Eye: 10 Curious Customs of Latina Moms - mom.me

Where I live, if I remark that a baby or young child is cute, I give a quick touch to a foot or top of the head because it is often expected. Even if the parent isn't superstitious, most people around here understand the custom.

Hedgehog Mom, if you're in San Antonio and people are wanting to touch your children, this is probably why.
My kids are hispanic and we live in heavily hispanic community. That is why my kids were touched a lot, I think. Hugged, picked up, kissed, patted, etc. It wasn't really an issue until they were older and it bothered them. Well my daughter wouldn't participate ever because she is shy, so people mostly left her alone.

It was usually women, though.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:02 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,830,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
but for a young man we automatically think creepy stranger danger. I know that's sort of unfair, but it is what it is.
Quite sexist it is.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Just saying that I disagree about 100% with the bolded. The vast majority of pedophiles are people known to the victims--relatives, clergy people and others in trusted positions. Statistically speaking, most parents have much less to fear from a stranger in the grocery line tickling a baby's toes than from Uncle Bob or the youth minister at their church.
Alright -- let me rephrase that. Any parents with 2 squirts of common sense would know the difference. I watch EVERYONE around mine. Even family members if they get too feely or mention they want to have a sleepover with them or take them "camping" or something alone with my child.

I rarely let any man I'm dating meet my child until we've been dating for 6+ months and thoroughly screened by me either. Partly to protect; partly because I prefer to keep my dating life and my family life separate. I'm also highly aware in public places about who's watching or getting too close to my kid.

I've been around.. I know the difference very well.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:05 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
There is simply no reason to touch a stranger or their child unless you are somehow preventing injury. So why even consider it?

Old 01-26-2015, 10:06 AM

26 posts, read 33,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
You want to "tickle her nose"?!? Thereby introducing all those germy things you've just touched (door handles, cart handles, food items others have touched and put back, your own nose) to her brand new immune system and possibly get her sick? No. Just no.
I could just sneeze or cough on the baby?

So that way -- I'm not touching the kid but certainly spreading my germs to it with an aerosol spray of viruses.

Would that make you happier?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting