Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2015, 05:09 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,959,313 times

Advertisements

Interesting that people think kids are behaving worse today. It's not true, but heck, people thought that for a long time.

Spoiled Rotten - A Timeless Complaint (commentary) - Alfie Kohn

From 1962
Quote:
That’s why no generation of teens and young adults has ever been as self-centered as this one. Take it from journalist Peter Wyden, the cover of whose book on the subject depicts a child lounging on a divan eating grapes while Mom fans him and Dad holds an umbrella to protect him from the sun: It’s become “tougher and tougher to say ‘no’ [to children] and make it stick,” he insists.
From 1944
Quote:
Or listen to the lament of a parent who blames progressive child development experts for the fact that her kids now seem to believe “they have priority over everything and everybody.”
From 1911
Quote:
Or consider a pointed polemic published in The Atlantic. Sure, the author concedes, kids have always been pleasure seekers, but longtime teachers report that what we’re currently witnessing “is different from anything we have ever seen in the young before.” Parents teach “nothing wholeheartedly” and things come so easily to children nowadays that they fail to develop any self-discipline. Forget about traditional values: Today, it’s just a “culte du moi.”

Old 02-23-2015, 05:24 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,908,546 times
Such BS. I have been fully attentive to my daughters or sons melt down, even to the point of dragging them out of where we were and I still get the stink eye. People don't just want parents to react. They want kids to be either non existent or robots

Old 02-23-2015, 05:29 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,333,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
People don't just want parents to react. They want kids to be either non existent or robots
^^^^ This

Old 02-23-2015, 06:08 PM

491 posts, read 472,595 times
Nothing to say really, but yes, kids are annoying and I wish I had your job (I have a guess as to what it is).

Old 02-23-2015, 06:12 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,360,237 times
Default Parents, please control your kids in the US Post Office...

...and everywhere else.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:24 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,613,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Quite honestly, I don't care if others love my children or not. I need to get my stuff done and kids are part of our society. They are going to have melt downs. They are going to cry. They are going to argue. Get over it. If I have to hear other adults on their cell phones arguing with spouses or see others in their jammies, being all smelly by the deli, you can deal with my children being children. And if you want to think my children are terrible little people, fine. I'm too tired and too old to care what some pompous, self important jerk in line at the grocery store thinks.

I AM a parent. But I don't beat my kids and there is no reason to do so. Oh wait, I'm supposed to slap my kids around so they are afraid of me just to satisfy people like you? I'm supposed to ignore everything I know about children and give in to primal urges and scream at my kids instead of teaching them how you are supposed to treat others just to get a quick result? I don't ****ing think so.
This this this and this.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:24 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,506,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
No. How about, instead, you stay home and never leave the house so that the messiness of human beings never troubles you again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I hate bringing my kid to the usps. The lines are always ridiculous and if you have young kids it sucks.
Discipline? Why do I not see discipline here? Are the above the only 2 options?

When my brother and I were small, we wouldn't DARE make a sound in a bank, store, or post office...there'd be a smart whack on the behind when we got home. Outside, we were free to run, scream, or play as roughly as we liked, and that may be the problem with today's kids. They aren't allowed to work off their energy in an uninhibited atmosphere of play and rough-and-tumble. But whatever the cause, for parents to just ignore what the kids are doing, and not promise them a "time out" for misbehavior, is just producing little monsters.

- Father of two, grandfather of six

Old 02-24-2015, 07:46 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,109,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Most post offices today sell greeting cards and mailing supplies in the lobby, Many people purposefully position their children in these areas and allow them to "play" with the items on display. Little kids pull out cards from the display racks and throw them on the floor, bend them, replace them in the wrong holders, etc. Those displays are always a mess and it's not the post office employees' fault. Often the cards are dirty or sticky. I like to buy cards at the PO not only because it's convenient but because I like to support this organization that does a job that could never be done so effectively by the private sector. The post office is unfairly treated by Congress, which requires it to fund its retirement program unlike any in corporate America, so I like to do my bit to make sure they get my greeting card purchases, too. But these poorly behaved children are ruining the PO's inventory.
I appreciate the sentiment regarding children's inappropriate behavior, however, there is nothing wrong with requiring the retirement program to be fully funded upfront.

I'm a financial analyst. I actually know how pension accounting works. The companies that are not fully funding their financial obligations are running an on-going liability. They shouldn't be allowed to do it, it is immoral that it is allowed in the private sector. The requirements for the post office more closely reflect what the requirements should be for every business offering a pension.

While I would like to agree with your comments that it could never be done as well by a private financial institution, the truth of that issue is also quite questionable because the post office pays wages that are dramatically higher than those required to attract and retain talent. Very qualified applicants can stay on file for years without being hired because of the backlog of highly qualified veterans. I'm fine with vet preference, but even the highly qualified vets can't get a job there because there are so many of them competing for a job where the actual duties are simple and the pay (counting pension benefits) is often more than twice the market rate for similar private work. If the job of the PO is to provide good pay and retirement for the employees, then I must agree that a private institution could not do it as effectively as the post office.

PS. I'm considering solving this problem by going up to the next terrible parent I see that is letting their child scream and just doing my own banshee level scream a few inches from their face. That would show them that I can also be irresponsible and disrespectful.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:03 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,761,583 times
Nevermind kids being kids. How about adults that can't control their loudmouth with the phones in public. Nothing more annoying than seeing an adult that talks like the other person is sitting across the room on their phone.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:24 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,908,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Wow, so you're not supposed to control your obnoxious little snowflakes but we're supposed to change the way we think?

LOL.

And you wonder why so many folks just don't like being around noisy, ill-behaved children.
Well here is a interesting little tid bit about the way life works. You can't change other people...but you CAN change how you feel/react to it.

So yeah, its on you. You can go around being annoyed with everyone for not conforming to your standards, or you can choose to relax and let it go.

Your life, your choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting