Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2015, 05:26 PM

275 posts, read 332,401 times

Advertisements

I don't think I've ever seen a child at my post office.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:45 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Nothing worst than hearing adults waiting on line and having an argument with someone or shouting profanities.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:07 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Tiredness, hunger and boredom are all things that are not inevitable. Go out after the nap, bring a snack, a favorite small toy, break your errands into smaller more manageable trips, include a stop at the park to work off some energy, etc. Sure there will be an occasional one off but for the most part the 'bad' behavior falls back on the parents. There's a difference between can't and won't.

In a perfect world we'd all do our errands around our kid's schedules and people who can't tolerate others for even the relatively short time it takes to stand in line at the post office a couple of days a week, would hire personal assistants to do it for them. The real world is often less than ideal.

I have no doubt that occasionally, there are out of control children behaving badly while the parent is unconcerned and doing nothing. When one claims that it happens every. single. time., sees "them" everywhere, and feels the need to address parents in general about the situation, then I lean toward believing that it has more to do with the eye of the beholder.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:11 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
In a perfect world we'd all do our errands around our kid's schedules and people who can't tolerate others for even the relatively short time it takes to stand in line at the post office a couple of days a week, would hire personal assistants to do it for them. The real world is often less than ideal.

I have no doubt that occasionally, there are out of control children behaving badly while the parent is unconcerned and doing nothing. When one claims that it happens every. single. time., sees "them" everywhere, and feels the need to address parents in general about the situation, then I lean toward believing that it has more to do with the eye of the beholder.
Yes I agree with you.

When my older son starts getting worked up I've sent him out to the car to chill out and refocus. But that tactic brings problems too when people call the cops for leaving your child in the car. It honestly does not matter what you do, you will get the stink eye, people will complain about crying kids - even if you do take them out of the store because, "Why do ***I*** have to listen to YOUR crying kid?," etc.

Some people just believe they should not ever be disturbed. They don't want their Holy Grail of a shopping trip at Fred Meyer ruined by some little baby. Its almost funny when you think about it.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:08 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,394,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I really have a hard time believing it is as bad as the OP states. They might just be extra sensitive to it.
Yes, I agree with this. I have seen elderly men berate servers at restaurants. It doesn't mean that I think all elderly men must be controlled in a restaurant setting. I have also had three elderly men accost me as a teen and young adult.

These are all singular instances, and don't reflect on the population of elderly men. Sure, they stand out and were horrible.

I am sure the OP is extremely irritated by small children and every instance is magnified times five. Yes, some children are unruly. Some adults are too.

OP I suggest going when the post office opens so the lines are shorter and the parents haven't arrived yet. If that's not possible then go during the early afternoon when small kids are napping and larger kids are in school.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:24 PM

16,078 posts, read 21,163,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
You seem to think most people can pick and choose when to run errands, pay bills, get groceries, etc. You're wrong. Most of us live on a tight schedule trying to meet all of our obligations.
No I don't think people get to pick and choose all the time, however I do see far too many parents who simply don't take the kids into consideration at all and do things when it is convenient for themselves. Hanging around the store for an hour, shopping for nonessentials when they have a sick or tired child with them is ridiculous, but I see it far too frequently.
I don't have a problem with kids, I have a problem with self centered parents who are oblivious to their kids and to others around them when their kids decide to misbehave.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:56 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
No I don't think people get to pick and choose all the time, however I do see far too many parents who simply don't take the kids into consideration at all and do things when it is convenient for themselves. Hanging around the store for an hour, shopping for nonessentials when they have a sick or tired child with them is ridiculous, but I see it far too frequently.
For heavens sake how do you know they are shopping for non-essentials? This post illustrates damned if you do, damned if you don't perfectly. Other people would say people who shop around their kids' schedules are coddling the kids.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:24 PM

16,078 posts, read 21,163,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
For heavens sake how do you know they are shopping for non-essentials? This post illustrates damned if you do, damned if you don't perfectly. Other people would say people who shop around their kids' schedules are coddling the kids.
Because I work in retail and I check them out. Last time I checked nail polish, make up, greeting cards, sandals, candy, cokes, cheap toys, etc etc were not exactly essentials. Why do you have such a hard time believing there are a good number of parents who do such things?

Old 02-27-2015, 03:49 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,892,275 times
Can I reiterate....you can't control other people (I.e. When they shop, how they parent, a crying baby etc) but you can control how you react. Are you going to get wound up, or learn to let it go? Your life, your choice. Do you want to walk around irritated? Or relaxed and maybe even joyful. You can choose. You can't control.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:55 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
I don't have a problem with kids, I have a problem with self centered parents who are oblivious to their kids and to others around them when their kids decide to misbehave.
Oh FFS! Do you really think those parents want to be at the store with a cranky child? This subject has been beat to death is this forum. Life is inconvenient. It is inconvenient to have a sick kid and a husband who travels, or no husband at all, and to have to take your kids to the store to buy medicine, or food, (and maybe even a few non-essentials while you're there). I promise you it is way less convenient for the mom than it is for you, who merely has to deal with them for 2 minutes while you ring them up. If you can't handle that, get a new job, or become a hermit or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting