Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 05:01 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,890,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
Yet you never see the parent of a messy child get down on the floor to clean up their child's mess in a restaurant. Sure, they may be "unpredictable" but once the food is on the floor, you can pick it up so your server doesn't have to.
Every time you try to clean up a waiter or a bus person runs over with a mop/broom/etc and says they will take care of it. Its part of their job.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:28 PM

436 posts, read 421,242 times
I've definitely picked things up off the floor if they were dropped, although it never got the point where the kids were allowed to make messes wantonly - so there wasn't much to pick up. But if they dropped a piece of chicken or something, sure, we'd pick it up and move on with our meal. And we'd order food they wouldn't get everywhere. You're not going to order a toddler ribs and pasta with sauce, you'll order them finger foods. And we'll sweep crumbs off the table onto a plate, gather up napkins, etc. before we leave. But as far as getting down under a table to start heavy duty cleaning - why the heck should I do that in a restaurant when it's already likely to be pretty dirty under there, what with other patrons stepping on it and crumbing? At the end of the shift, the servers mop up under every table - I would HOPE!

Old 02-28-2015, 05:31 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,890,797 times
Cracker crumbs...

Old 03-01-2015, 07:05 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,397,504 times
Weird. I go to the post office on a semi-regular basis and don't remember seeing any kids in there, ever.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:32 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,088,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Every time you try to clean up a waiter or a bus person runs over with a mop/broom/etc and says they will take care of it. Its part of their job.
That whole job thing goes both ways. It's part of the parents' job to teach their children how to behave in public. Yes, kids have meltdowns. Yes, some parents try to help fix the situation. That wasn't what the OP and others were talking about.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:16 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
If I control him in the post office, does that mean I'm off the hook for every where else?

Old 03-06-2015, 05:22 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,502,033 times
Wait a second! People still go to the post office?!

Old 03-06-2015, 07:43 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelti12 View Post
Those "labels" are real, but I agree, should not be used as an excuse.

Kids like that need tons of extra work, and with the right guidance can thrive. The problem is when parents give up and use it as an excuse.
I see it time and time again at work. We have kids with abnormal behaviors and some of them have parents that work *really* hard to help their child grow into the best they can become and throughout the year you can really see the difference. Those parents deserve people on the outside giving credit where credit is due, because I cant even imagine how tough it can be.
However we also have the other set of parents, who just give up, after trying something they read on some blog and use the label their child has been given as an excuse to not deal with them, and thats not okay. It drives me nuts. If I can help your child even with 20 other children around imagine what you could do one on one.
Excuse or explanation?

Children with special needs DO act out more often than neurotypical children. People have no idea what part of the journey children are on in their lives.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:44 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
I guess your parents are guilty of this. It's obvious they never took the time to teach you empathy. Damn shame they were too lazy.

Seriously what is wrong with some of you adults here. You sound more self centred then most two years olds. They ruined MY day/time. How could you do that to me?!? Really? Get over yourself. The world DOES NOT revolve around you.
How about this? My autistic child bothers you? STAY HOME! He has a right to everything you have a right to. You don't like it? Don't go out in public. You know what the difference between my son and judgemental adults? My son is a good person with a good heart. Way more important then pretty much anything else.
::Standing O::

Old 03-06-2015, 07:50 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,233,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelti12 View Post
Those "labels" are real, but I agree, should not be used as an excuse.

Kids like that need tons of extra work, and with the right guidance can thrive. The problem is when parents give up and use it as an excuse.
I see it time and time again at work. We have kids with abnormal behaviors and some of them have parents that work *really* hard to help their child grow into the best they can become and throughout the year you can really see the difference. Those parents deserve people on the outside giving credit where credit is due, because I cant even imagine how tough it can be.
However we also have the other set of parents, who just give up, after trying something they read on some blog and use the label their child has been given as an excuse to not deal with them, and thats not okay. It drives me nuts. If I can help your child even with 20 other children around imagine what you could do one on one.
Thing is, parents get tired. Burned out. They can dedicate their lives to trying to fix it, while still facing daily criticism. They have other kids too. Depression, higher divorce rates, financial strain. My sons therapies are $38,000 a year. I am still in it 100% but I have caring friends who are suicidal some days. It is killing her. Her daughter has profound ASD.

I'm a teacher too. Its much easier being a teacher of 20 than the FT parent of a child with disabilities, depending on the disability. My son has moderate autism. Not profound, but still with headphones/diapers. Teaching is my vacation. Teaching is not easy, but it is in comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting