Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 05:00 PM

493 posts, read 512,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
A lot of kids turn six after starting kindergarten. If the NYC cut-off is October 1, then he should attend kindergarten by reason of his birth date. I think you should follow through OP, let him have that extra year.
There is no cutoff in NYC. There is one for his catholic school. He is transferring to public school. Therefore, they want to push him forward to 1st grade. I do not want that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 05:24 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Based on this article, there is some flexibility in the NYC system: Should NYC change the Kindergarten birthday cut-off to Sept. 1? - New York gifted education | Examiner.com.

I know my sons were not ready for 1st grade at the age of not-quite-six, and it had nothing to do with the workload. They still needed a lot of movement and playing at that age.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:40 PM

493 posts, read 512,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Based on this article, there is some flexibility in the NYC system: Should NYC change the Kindergarten birthday cut-off to Sept. 1? - New York gifted education | Examiner.com.

I know my sons were not ready for 1st grade at the age of not-quite-six, and it had nothing to do with the workload. They still needed a lot of movement and playing at that age.
That is my major concern that he is not quite mature. The public school system at least by me doesn't like to deal with that too much and will jump to labeling him.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:54 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
most kids even who have gone to kindergarten are not mature enough for first grade, nor can they sit for hours. give it a chance and see how he does. he may surprise you!

Old 06-25-2015, 08:56 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I agree. Pre-k and K are the same except for a few minor details. I kinda wish my kids could have skipped kindergarten because they learned all the same stuff in pre-k so they were bored.
I started reading the newspaper before I attended kindergarten and I was totally bored when the very basic reading sessions were going on in the room. The socializing and crafts, not to mention the snacks, were OK though.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:17 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,655,613 times
Only you know your son and if you think he is not mature enough then you already know the answer to your own question...a bunch of strangers on a forum that have never met your child don't really know what's best in this situation...

Old 06-25-2015, 09:18 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I started reading the newspaper before I attended kindergarten and I was totally bored when the very basic reading sessions were going on in the room. The socializing and crafts, not to mention the snacks, were OK though.
Kindergarten has changed dramatically since you were in school. In fact K has changed dramatically in just the last five years and it was already extremely academic at that point.

Even many Junior Kindergarten (4 year olds), in my area, do not have crafts, art projects, socializing or group snacks any more. And, at least in my area, it is very, very rare to have those things in kindergarten either (unless it is a craft directly related to a writing, reading or math curriculum goal).

Kindergarten gave up "free choice time" (playtime) about ten years ago (in my area). It is expected that children could play on their own time (ie. at home).

Old 06-26-2015, 06:19 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
If he has been going to school this is a non-issue.

Kindergarten is important only for kids that have been home, the center of attention, and have no skills or experience in group settings. I can assure you, going to a pre-K Catholic school, he will have no problems, and will probably be ahead, socially, of many kindergarten grads.

Worry about something else! Good Luck.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:06 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
When and where I grew up, 'kindergarten' was unheard of/unkown (AFAIK). "Pre-K"? Fuhgeddaboudit. Schooling didn't start until 1st grade...but then again, most mothers stayed home to take care of the kids and public-funded daycare wasn't needed.

I started 1st grade when I was 5. It wasn't an issue for me, nor was starting right off in 1st grade an issue for anyone, that I know of.

Quite frankly, I think that pushing kids into schooling too soon is a bad thing. I think kids need time to just be kids and being foisted off into a structured learning environment too early, under the guise of giving them a "head start", does more harm than good.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:08 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,071,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Kindergarten has changed dramatically since you were in school. In fact K has changed dramatically in just the last five years and it was already extremely academic at that point.

Even many Junior Kindergarten (4 year olds), in my area, do not have crafts, art projects, socializing or group snacks any more. And, at least in my area, it is very, very rare to have those things in kindergarten either (unless it is a craft directly related to a writing, reading or math curriculum goal).

Kindergarten gave up "free choice time" (playtime) about ten years ago (in my area). It is expected that children could play on their own time (ie. at home).
Similar in Minnesota. Kindergarteners are pushed academically here, nothing like it was ten and certainly 30 years ago. Those who come in to kindergarten w/o pre-k that included rote academics (reading, writing, addition, subtraction, colors, shapes, etc.), language skills and some exposure to arts and music will find themselves behind others (old report, from 2010: file:///Users/Techno/Desktop/downloads/Full%20Report-%20Accessible.pdf).

In Minnesota, full-day kindergarten at public schools is now state-funded. Our governor pushed hard to fund pre-k in this session, but bailed on it (despite support among voters, it was a concession he made in getting the overall budget passed in an extra special session).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting