Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 10:27 AM

493 posts, read 512,152 times

Advertisements

So I live in NYC and they do not have a birthday rule like many other states if your born that year you can start kindergarden. My son goes to catholic school and like so many other private schools here they do have the birthday rule. So he just finished pre-k even though he will be turing 6 this fall but his birthday was after october 1st. Well now I'm moving to another part of the city and the school is pretty good here and I want him to go to public school. They informed me that he will be going to first grade. I tried to fight it at the board of ed and they said that I cannot do that. How can he just skip kindergarten? Wont be be more disadvantaged than the other kids. I don't mind putting him in another private school but I find this so irritating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 10:46 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,809,228 times
I honestly don't think it's a big deal, especially considering he has been going to school already. Kindergarten is supposed to be the great equalizer. It catches up the kids who are behind or have never gone to school and reenforces learned topics/skills for those who have. Since he's been in pre-k, he probably has a leg up on letters, numbers, sight reading, writing etc. Kids learn so fast at this age, so even if he seems a bit behind at first, with a little extra help from you or maybe a tutor, he should catch up quickly. He can always repeat the first grade if he lags behind, then he'll be where you wanted him anyway .

Old 06-25-2015, 12:02 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,530,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
I honestly don't think it's a big deal, especially considering he has been going to school already. Kindergarten is supposed to be the great equalizer. It catches up the kids who are behind or have never gone to school and reenforces learned topics/skills for those who have. Since he's been in pre-k, he probably has a leg up on letters, numbers, sight reading, writing etc. Kids learn so fast at this age, so even if he seems a bit behind at first, with a little extra help from you or maybe a tutor, he should catch up quickly. He can always repeat the first grade if he lags behind, then he'll be where you wanted him anyway .
I agree. Pre-k and K are the same except for a few minor details. I kinda wish my kids could have skipped kindergarten because they learned all the same stuff in pre-k so they were bored.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:57 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,119,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
But it will be up to the school whether or not he repeats 1st grade, not the parents.

I would find out what the requirements/goals are for by the end of kindergarten. In our public school all children are "expected" to be reading by the end of kindergarten. If he's not at the level he's expected to be when starting 1st grade you might want to do another year at private school and then switch him.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:43 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
I don't know about NY, but in Texas, Kinder is not mandatory. The age cut off is that you need to be 6 by Sept 1 to enter 1st grade. The unofficial rule is then that you must be 5 by Sept 1 to enter Kinder, but it's not mandatory.

So, for your 6 year old with an October birthday to enter public school, that would be 1st grade.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:50 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I agree. Pre-k and K are the same except for a few minor details. I kinda wish my kids could have skipped kindergarten because they learned all the same stuff in pre-k so they were bored.
Kindergarten is certainly not like preK in the school districts in my area.

By the end of Kindergarten you are expected to have at least a 65 word sight vocabulary, be able to decode simple words, read a variety of simple books independently (some kindergarteners are already reading easy chapter books), do simple addition & subtraction problems at least to plus or minus 10 and preferably plus or minus 20, identify coins and add like coins (basic level), write simple short stories with a beginning, middle and a conclusion using spelling that can be read by another person (ie. not every word is spelled correctly but other people can read what you have written) plus a lot more. And, I am told that some districts may have even more advanced requirements.

That does not sound like a typical preK curriculum to me.

OP, find out what your district expects children to know before they start 1st grade. Sometimes a child can skip kindergarten and be perfectly fine.

But often it means a constant struggle and huge frustrations in 1st grade. Most of the children that I know who went directly from preschool to 1st grade ended up repeating 1st grade. Of course, your child may be ready for 1st grade.

Last edited by germaine2626; 06-25-2015 at 03:00 PM..

Old 06-25-2015, 03:17 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
If he attended an academic pre-k program, he might very well be fine; however, you might want to take a look at the state standards and work through the summer to fill in the gaps if you know he's missing skills.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:23 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,962,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
They aren't the same in my state. I sent my kids to a Pre-K that was more academic and while they did learn a great deal they didn't learn all they needed to know to complete K. The standards here are they need to be able to count to 100 by the end of K though my daughter did it at the beginning. They also need to be able to read on a D level and have some comprehension skills. They don't move up a level unless they can tell you what happened in the book and by then end of K write down what happened in the book. K is now 1st grade. I wouldn't want my child skipping K unless he could most of what is required. It wouldn't be fun for him to be behind his peers in 1st grade.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:31 PM

493 posts, read 512,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
I don't know about NY, but in Texas, Kinder is not mandatory. The age cut off is that you need to be 6 by Sept 1 to enter 1st grade. The unofficial rule is then that you must be 5 by Sept 1 to enter Kinder, but it's not mandatory.

So, for your 6 year old with an October birthday to enter public school, that would be 1st grade.
He is not 6 yet he is 5 he will be six in october. He can read, write, and do basic addition. However, he is not very mature and having to sit down for a longer time and losing nap may be a big shock. His catholic school was willing to deal with it not so sure how public school is.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:45 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
A lot of kids turn six after starting kindergarten. If the NYC cut-off is October 1, then he should attend kindergarten by reason of his birth date. I think you should follow through OP, let him have that extra year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting