Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 09:07 AM

772 posts, read 937,460 times

Advertisements

Hocus pocus and bippity boppity boo. That's all these "theories" and ideas on how to choose gender amount to. None of them have been scientifically proven to work.

Only way to guarantee sex of your child is with IVF with genetic diagnosis (and isn't available for the vast majority of people anyway.) The other method that can increase your chances is with insemination after sperm sorting, which gives a ~80% chance of the correct sex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 12:36 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,973,124 times
Try again if you don't get it right the first time

Old 10-29-2015, 01:06 PM

674 posts, read 611,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasCrown View Post
Hocus pocus and bippity boppity boo. That's all these "theories" and ideas on how to choose gender amount to. None of them have been scientifically proven to work.

Only way to guarantee sex of your child is with IVF with genetic diagnosis (and isn't available for the vast majority of people anyway.) The other method that can increase your chances is with insemination after sperm sorting, which gives a ~80% chance of the correct sex.

IVF isn't that expensive... if your insurance will pay for it.

However, I'm not sure insurance will pay for it unless you demonstrate infertility. Ours wouldn't until we'd done cheaper treatments for a certain number of months. Then

Old 10-29-2015, 02:29 PM

153 posts, read 306,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post
IVF isn't that expensive... if your insurance will pay for it.

However, I'm not sure insurance will pay for it unless you demonstrate infertility. Ours wouldn't until we'd done cheaper treatments for a certain number of months. Then
Insurance generally won't pay for it without demonstrated infertility. And I'm not even sure if insurance would pay for PGD or not. Maaaaaaybe with a strong documented case of a genetic disorder, but certainly not for sex selection unless there was a gender-linked genetic issue.

Our IVF was wholly out of pocket. We were very fortunate to have success our first go.

But otherwise... shettles is the main method I've heard, or sperm sorting but that's not 100%. A lot of clinics don't necessarily perform that service either.

Old 10-29-2015, 03:38 PM

897 posts, read 2,825,693 times
Back in the day, decades ago, when all of our friends were planning families, the Shettles Method was the topic of conversation at many cocktail parties and gatherings. It's fun to think you can chose the sex of your child, but nature and genetics truly have the final say so. Be blessed you simply have a healthy chid, boy or girl. Good luck!

Can the Shettles Method Help You Choose a Girl or Boy?

Old 10-29-2015, 03:42 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,247,240 times
I wanted a girl first (and so did grandparents - too many boys) but when they asked me at the scan if I wanted to know, I refused.

I didn't care, when it came right down to it.

I just wanted to know baby was healthy.

She was and is now 23yr old Scholarship winning Uni Student on her second degree.

Grandma went running into the street yelling Its A Girl when she was born, I doubt she'd have had that excitement if we'd told her BEFORE the baby was here.

Anyway to answer OP - I believe there are diets you can follow which do influence the gender to a certain point, but I don't think they are 100%.

You can also go for that icky IVF selection but honestly only a creep or a control freak would do that.

Old 10-29-2015, 04:10 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,935,120 times
I can honestly say I never "hoped" or "worried" about a certain gender.... I just hoped to all hell that they were born with 5 fingers 5 toes 2 eyes 2 ears a nose...................... you get my drift.

Old 10-29-2015, 04:57 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,893,771 times
As an adoptive mom who went through tons of infertility...these posts do get my feathers ruffled. Just be hopful you have a healthy baby. Don't get hung up on preferences or anything weird like that. It's a game of chance. A game you will win if you have a healthy baby. No matter the gender.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:29 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,393,132 times
I have three sons, my husband only had one recipe.

I am happy with what I got

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
As an adoptive mom who went through tons of infertility...these posts do get my feathers ruffled. Just be hopful you have a healthy baby. Don't get hung up on preferences or anything weird like that. It's a game of chance. A game you will win if you have a healthy baby. No matter the gender.
Exactly. I agree completely.

(And even if you don't get a healthy baby--it will all be good. I had one with a birth defect--I learned more about life with that one than I could ever had imagined.)

Old 10-29-2015, 05:51 PM

943 posts, read 1,321,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
There is a theory that X sperm swim slower, but live longer and Y sperm swim faster, but die faster. So, if you want a girl, you have sex 4-5 days before ovulation so the Y's die off before the egg is released, if you want a boy, you have sex during or right after ovulation so the egg is fertilized before the X's can reach it. This is just a theory and it would take months or possibly a year of your wife tracking her cycles so she knows exactly when her fertile period begins and when she actually ovulates. If her cycles are even slightly irregular, this can be very difficult. (Honestly, I think your parents just got lucky.)

All that said, I promise if you have a boy you'll be just as happy. I always wanted three boys (not sure why), when my first arrived and I saw she was a girl, I didn't care at all, I just loved and wanted her so much. When my second came and he was a boy, I was a bit surprised and I thought "what do I do with a BOY!" We had been saying "she" and "her" for long it actually felt strange to say "he" and "him." When I was pregnant with my third people kept asking me if I wanted another girl or another boy and honestly, I didn't care either way. They are my children and I love everything about them (even the bad stuff!).
I think that method works about half the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting