Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 04:57 PM

331 posts, read 381,706 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been married for only a year and a half, so we're still a few years away from starting a family.

Honestly, I really want to have a girl. I'll love the baby no matter what the gender is, but my preference is for a girl.

My parents have told me that they took steps to increase the chances of my being male (which I am), including having sex when/when not ovulating, going on a certain diet (acidic/alkaline), etc.

Have any of you taken such steps and succeeded at getting your gender of choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 05:01 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,904,216 times
There is the Shettles method, but I don't really think any of that works. Still you can try!

Old 10-28-2015, 06:29 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
You will be surprised. If it's a boy you will wonder how you lived your whole life without a son. Don't worry about it. Short of advanced medical intervention, or adoption (where you choose to choose) you can not pick.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:29 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Getting pregnant is not always as fun and easy as people think it will be. Most of us figure that we'll stop taking our birth control, then the next month we'll do the magic baby dance and get pregnant right away. But when that doesn't work out and one month stretches out into a year or longer, it's easy to get frustrated and burned out.

Since you don't know how easy it will be to get pregnant, following some complicated method that probably won't work to try to choose the gender of your baby might add to the stress of trying to get pregnant, especially if it ends up taking a long time. And getting your heart set on one gender might make it more difficult for you to form an attachment to the baby if it ends up being the opposite gender.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:26 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,808,241 times
There is a theory that X sperm swim slower, but live longer and Y sperm swim faster, but die faster. So, if you want a girl, you have sex 4-5 days before ovulation so the Y's die off before the egg is released, if you want a boy, you have sex during or right after ovulation so the egg is fertilized before the X's can reach it. This is just a theory and it would take months or possibly a year of your wife tracking her cycles so she knows exactly when her fertile period begins and when she actually ovulates. If her cycles are even slightly irregular, this can be very difficult. (Honestly, I think your parents just got lucky.)

All that said, I promise if you have a boy you'll be just as happy. I always wanted three boys (not sure why), when my first arrived and I saw she was a girl, I didn't care at all, I just loved and wanted her so much. When my second came and he was a boy, I was a bit surprised and I thought "what do I do with a BOY!" We had been saying "she" and "her" for long it actually felt strange to say "he" and "him." When I was pregnant with my third people kept asking me if I wanted another girl or another boy and honestly, I didn't care either way. They are my children and I love everything about them (even the bad stuff!).

Old 10-28-2015, 09:22 PM

649 posts, read 570,103 times
I've heard of the Shettles method but I don't know how accurate it is. I understand preferring one sex over another but at the end of the day it really doesn't matter because you will love your little munchkin regardless.

My first was a girl and when I was pregnant with my second I was really hoping for a boy only because I thought it would be cool to have one of each. I ended up finding out that baby number two was a little girl at only thirteen weeks because I elected to do genetic testing because of my age. Anyway, I was so happy that the results showed that the baby was healthy, I almost forgot to ask what the sex was. When the doctor told me that I was having another girl I cried tears of joy. I couldn't have been happier to be having another precious girl.

You can Google your question and could probably get some helpful advice. My advice however is to concentrate on having a healthy baby and I promise you that you will not be disappointed with the sex of your baby. Once you hold your sweet baby for the first time you will completely forgot about your preference in the first place. Good luck.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:45 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,368,374 times
There are gender swaying methods that many have tried and claim are successful. It may help if your wife charts her cycles so she will have a way of knowing when she ovulates in her cycle and you can test these methods. Doesn't hurt to try it.

I've had three girls and two boys. Girl #1, sex took place two and four days before O; girl #2, two and three days; and girl #3, two and one day. With boy #1, one and two days before O; boy #2, two days before, day of and day after.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:12 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,099,860 times
Considering the male contributes the XX or XY chromosome which ultimately determines the sex of the child, I don't see how the mother's diet would influence the baby's gender anymore than sacrificing a goat to a Pagan fertility god would.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:57 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,759,388 times
I tracked my ovulations and aimed for a girl first time (do the deed before ovulation) and aimed for a boy the second time (do the deed after ovulation). That's what I got, so it worked for me.

It's not guaranteed though, it's just "slightly raising your chances" one way or another.

There are many ways to track ovulation these days, and if your wife goes to a forum with a lot of ladies trying to get pregnant, she will learn about all of them lol.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:59 AM

649 posts, read 570,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Considering the male contributes the XX or XY chromosome which ultimately determines the sex of the child, I don't see how the mother's diet would influence the baby's gender anymore than sacrificing a goat to a Pagan fertility god would.
This isn't actually all voodoo science. I'm no expert but it's my understanding that the ph balance of the woman's vagina plays a part in determining which sperm survive in order to make it to the egg so perhaps it is possible to change the ph balance by eating certain types of food. For example, female sperm react better in an acidic environment and male sperm in a more alkaline environment so theoretically if a women wanted a female child she would eat a diet that would help create an acidic environment. In essence the male sperm (XY) would be weeded out giving the female sperm (XX) a better change to make it to the egg. It has nothing to do with changing the chromosomal make up of the sperm but more to do creating an environment that would benefit a particular sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting