Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 06:56 AM

649 posts, read 570,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I am not a chemist, but I have a graduate degree in biology.
Then I take your word that you know what you're talking about. I just find the subject interesting and like I said before I have no idea if any of these theories are correct. What do you make of the Chinese Gender Predictor Chart? I'm kidding, obviously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 02:36 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,833,380 times
I followed the advice in this book, and it worked for me, and for 4 other people I know personally.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ie=UTF8&btkr=1

ETA we all had girls, and wanted a boy. I had a son after 3 daughters.

Old 11-01-2015, 03:26 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,509,376 times
For everyone that has used one of the "proven" methods and gotten the gender they wanted, there is someone who's done the same thing and gotten the opposite gender. Since you have a set percent chance of getting one specific gender each time you conceive anyway, it's hard to see whether these methods have any validity at all.

That being said, since so many personal stories are shared here, I'll say that I was charting my temps, etc, so I know when I ovulated. I wasn't trying for any particular gender, but according to the "sex before ovulation/sex after ovulation," I should have had a girl second and a boy third. I had the opposite.

Love the Chinese gender chart-- completely opposite on all three of my kids LOL

Old 11-01-2015, 03:30 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,642,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksy23 View Post
My wife and I have been married for only a year and a half, so we're still a few years away from starting a family.

Honestly, I really want to have a girl. I'll love the baby no matter what the gender is, but my preference is for a girl.

My parents have told me that they took steps to increase the chances of my being male (which I am), including having sex when/when not ovulating, going on a certain diet (acidic/alkaline), etc.

Have any of you taken such steps and succeeded at getting your gender of choice?
There are books on this. I know one person who used a book called something like, Choose your child's sex, and ended up with the boy she wanted. You might want to be careful with this though because that boy was a little monster. I am not talking about the way he looked. He was good looking like the other children in the family but the difference came with his behavior. Other children were well-behaved and polite. He was hell on wheels.

Last edited by NCN; 11-01-2015 at 03:40 PM..

Old 11-02-2015, 08:52 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,833,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
There are books on this. I know one person who used a book called something like, Choose your child's sex, and ended up with the boy she wanted. You might want to be careful with this though because that boy was a little monster. I am not talking about the way he looked. He was good looking like the other children in the family but the difference came with his behavior. Other children were well-behaved and polite. He was hell on wheels.
LOL! This made me chuckle. Boys and girls are SO different. I have 3 daughters (and then a son), and I remember watching the neighborhood boys running around outside beating each other with wiffle bats. I turned to my husband and said, "You'd never see little girls doing that!"

My son was super active from birth. If it could be thrown or smashed, he did it. He ruined more of my things than all of the 3 girls put together. He is still very impulsive and physical at age 11

Sometimes it's a biological thing

Old 11-03-2015, 09:43 AM

674 posts, read 611,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Rocksy:
Abra-cadabra; biff, bam, boo and kalamazoo!

Secondly, ^^ this.

Why are you so determined to have a girl? What if you get your girl and she is mentally impaired, or born "incomplete" {no arms or legs}?

Don't you think it WISER to want a healthy, Happy baby??? Of either sex?

From all I know about biology, both High School and College:
The man's sperm DO determine the sex of the child; and the environs in the vaginal cavity can alter the sperm's, er, ah, performance... and only sperm "separation" and IVF can "guarantee" to something like only the 80th percentile that you get what you want.

but still, wouldn't you BY FAR....want a healthy child???

**I was never fortunate enough to have children, so If I now could, I'd be thrilled with either sex as long as the child was healthy, as my health has not been so good during my lifetime.

IVF with prenatal genetic screening can get you very close to 100%.

Instead of hoping for the spem to have a particular chromosome, you get some embryos, biopsy them, and look at what chromosomes the embryos have. You then choose the one you want.

As someone else pointed out, it's hard to get insurance to pay for IVF at all, and I know from experience that it doesn't normally pay for genetic screening, but if you have the money, you can be pretty certain.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:18 PM

251 posts, read 274,304 times
Shettle's method, after 2 boys and our final child was a girl using this method. So yep I'm a fan Either way you have a 50/50 chance. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting