Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 06:48 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,160,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
Couldn't have said it better!

I am raising teens now, and not really liking this stage of life I miss the days of snuggling warm newborns, watching them discover the world. It goes by fast!
That's sad, I was thinking about that today while at work. I don't know what I'm going to do when my the littlest one is grown. It goes by way too fast and it scares me, we can never get those moments back. I love him to death, that little thappy face of his and his sense of discovery. He is always happy and helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 06:56 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times
You could have an awesome kid like me!

Old 11-01-2015, 07:29 PM

50,387 posts, read 64,034,538 times
I loved my babies, even when they had colic and I was so tired. My doctor told me that colic was a baby's way to test to see if you really love them. We just took turns pacing the floor, and tried to muddle through.
I love the way their sweaty heads smell like raisins.
I love watching and listening while they discover the world around them.
I loved watching their hands when they were sleeping. So still.

My kids have given me many minutes of stress and worry, and wondering if I failed them, but I still wouldn't trade a minute. I feel sorry for those childless, rich, stress free couples, with the tidy houses and the caught up laundry, and the fancy vacations.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:59 PM

12,047 posts, read 8,436,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post

/I used to go in and watch them sleep./
I never tire at looking at my aging children.

Thirty-nine-year-old son in an annoyed tone of voice: Mom, why are you staring at me?

Me: Because you're eye-candy to me.

The first thing I thought of when I saw this question was the pride and love I felt swelling in my chest when I saw them accomplishing something they had worked on.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:41 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,814,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I loved my babies, even when they had colic and I was so tired. My doctor told me that colic was a baby's way to test to see if you really love them. We just took turns pacing the floor, and tried to muddle through.
I love the way their sweaty heads smell like raisins.
I love watching and listening while they discover the world around them.
I loved watching their hands when they were sleeping. So still.

My kids have given me many minutes of stress and worry, and wondering if I failed them, but I still wouldn't trade a minute. I feel sorry for those childless, rich, stress free couples, with the tidy houses and the caught up laundry, and the fancy vacations.
Why is it assumed that just because someone doesn't have kids that their life is stress free? Everyone has problems . I'm trying to take anything away from you parents but just saying...

Old 11-02-2015, 05:55 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,823,034 times
There are good times and bad times to parenting - as there are with everything else in life.

The good things? Too many to count, but having your baby fall asleep on your chest, or your toddler giggling hysterically as you play some silly game with them, or just watching your five-year-old at play - those are not simply good times, those are sublime moments that cannot be properly described with mere words.

The bad things? They run the gamut, too. The degree one has them depends on the person in terms of temperment and parenting abilities, as well as some luck.

But remember, what others say does not matter for they are not you. Being a parent is a decision you must make for yourself.

Good luck...

Old 11-02-2015, 06:20 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,731,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
Couldn't have said it better!

I am raising teens now, and not really liking this stage of life I miss the days of snuggling warm newborns, watching them discover the world. It goes by fast!
I'm raising teens now, too, and I'm actually loving it! I find them much more interesting and less frustrating as teenagers than I did as toddlers... This is a really bittersweet phase of parenting, though. The "responsible for these kids" part is almost over. Even scarier, though, is that they will have to be responsible for themselves... they'll spread their wings to fly, and hopefully they soar and don't crash to the ground! Terrifying for a mom, but also exhilarating and so exciting!

I do miss little-kid cuddles and how sweet and innocent they used to be. It all went by so fast... the days are long but the years are short when they're small.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:38 AM

649 posts, read 570,991 times
Thanks for sharing everyone! I don't know why but I've been feeling very sentimental lately. I have a 21 year old and a 16 month old and I've been really missing my oldest daughter lately. Time has gone by so fast and having a little one again has brought back a lot of memories from my first adventure in parenting. The first time around I don't think I appreciated all of the small moments and I was always in a hurry to get to the next stage. This time around I'm leaning to really appreciate each stage and enjoy every minute.

Lodestar- My older daughter is always asking me why I'm staring at her. I just tell her it's because she's so pretty (she usually rolls her eyes at that.)

Old 11-02-2015, 07:57 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,670,091 times
People will rationalize their choices, no matter what side of the spectrum they are on. If they don't like children, or they want to remain childless, they can find lots of reasons to do so. Personally, I think that if someone doesn't want to be a parent, then they definitely shouldn't, and I'm not going to even attempt to change their mind. Their life, their choice.

Our life would have been very different without our children -- better? Worse? Who knows? But it would have been different, and not having anything else to compare it to, it would have been easy to be complacent and say, "Oh, this isn't so bad -- in fact, it's downright wonderful!" But having two kids is wonderful, too, and they have caused us to grow in so many ways that we couldn't have ever imagined before they came into our lives.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:04 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,670,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I'm raising teens now, too, and I'm actually loving it! I find them much more interesting and less frustrating as teenagers than I did as toddlers... This is a really bittersweet phase of parenting, though. The "responsible for these kids" part is almost over. Even scarier, though, is that they will have to be responsible for themselves... they'll spread their wings to fly, and hopefully they soar and don't crash to the ground! Terrifying for a mom, but also exhilarating and so exciting!

I do miss little-kid cuddles and how sweet and innocent they used to be. It all went by so fast... the days are long but the years are short when they're small.
I found that I preferred the teenage years, too. Not to say that I didn't adore the little ones -- but I loved watching that transition between 10-11 to young adult, watching their reasoning, talking to them about things that were important to them, listening to them learning to how to think, and being able to take on greater challenges and learning from their mistakes and victories. Little ones were often boring and frustrating -- I swear, God makes them so stinkin' cute as a protective mechanism! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting