Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 09:02 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,192,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love to travel View Post
I waited pretty late in life to have my first child. I wish someone had found the words - as if any exist - to explain to me just how awesome it would be to have a child (because then I'd have two or more!)

What I've learned is that there are no words to explain it, but once you experience it, you know just what I mean. To experience life as an adult but through the eyes of a child is one of life's greatest blessings. I can honestly say that everything in my life is better for having a child. There is no other love like it.

Sigh.
I like this post and think it sums parenthood up nicely. This is how I feel, despite having any number of day to day frustrations and annoyances due to being a parent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 09:28 AM

17 posts, read 31,047 times
In my experience, the only downside is that parenting is expensive. We were lucky enough to receive some good training before #1 popped out. The gist being that you provide age and risk-appropriate opportunities for the kids to attempt things. You allow them to succeed or fail and don't rescue them. You provide love and guidance, but explain that other valid points of view exist. Speak to them respectfully as if they were adults. We applied the belt some for major crimes until about age 7; I understand that this method is fading out, times change. After 7, mental torture and fines were the primary discipline tools. We explained that this is what happens when you misbehave as an adult. We didn't try to shield the kids from life issues; death, sex, family politics, religious differences. Let them make some decisions; we made others for them.

With this approach, our kids had a very happy upbringing. After about age 10, they did not require much hands-on parenting, they had the program pretty much figured out. As college students, they are capable, independent, funny, maybe a bit cynical. We have a very warm relationship based on mutual respect. It will be interesting to see how it goes when they're off the payroll in a couple years.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:01 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,290,712 times
Tax Breaks?

Old 11-03-2015, 11:15 AM

649 posts, read 570,991 times
I've enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts. I know that I did my fair share of complaining when my oldest was growing up (mostly between ages 13 through 15) but I always liked being a mom. I was only 17 when I had my first and it was tough at times but for the most part we had a blast. Most people I know think I'm nuts for doing it again but I'm looking forward to the trips to the zoo, dying Easter eggs, camping, making cookies and reading bedtime stories. There are definitely a few things that I'm not thrilled about doing again like parent teacher conferences, checking homework and dentist appointments but at least I know what to expect this time.

Right now my favorite part of being a mom is dancing with my toddler (she thinks I'm an awesome dancer) hearing her laugh and kissing her chunky little cheeks. I also love seeing what an amazing person my oldest daughter has grown up to be.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:59 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I loved my babies, even when they had colic and I was so tired. My doctor told me that colic was a baby's way to test to see if you really love them. We just took turns pacing the floor, and tried to muddle through.
I love the way their sweaty heads smell like raisins.
I love watching and listening while they discover the world around them.
I loved watching their hands when they were sleeping. So still.

My kids have given me many minutes of stress and worry, and wondering if I failed them, but I still wouldn't trade a minute. I feel sorry for those childless, rich, stress free couples, with the tidy houses and the caught up laundry, and the fancy vacations.
This is extremely condescending. Just because people don't have kids don't mean they have stress free lives or are rich. We have bosses to answer to, bills to pay, and chores to get through just like any other family with kids does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting