Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 03:12 AM

96 posts, read 145,077 times

Advertisements

My parents were 36 and 47 when I was born (I do have siblings that are 10 years older). They were awesome parents! Yes, my father was often mistaken for my grandfather. He started a family late as he wanted to be established a bit in his profession (dr. med) before he'd dive into the family thing.

I recall one time skiing when some other kid mentioned that my father was sooo old. Funny enough his and my father skied down the slopes to pick us up after ski-school right after one another. That's where I had to piont out, that if the other kids father had another 20 years of practice at skiing, he might be able to ski as well as my dad when hes soooo old too...;-)

My husband had very young parents (20&22), and even though they probably tried their best, they lacked a lot (not just from my perspective, from my husband's too). Financially, emotionally, intelectually... My mother in law is a wonderful grandma (even though she's tgousands of miles away). My father in law is... Probably as poor as a grandfather as he was as a father.

We got married in our mid-thirthies, tried immediately and had to suffer through 5 miscarriages before being blessed with two wonderful sons at 38/40 and 40/42. We do have a now 20 year old daughter from my husbands previous marriage. And I wish I had been at the point in my personal development that I am now. She turned out well despite my shortcomings... I think no story is alike. There are young people who have kids in their 20ies and do a terriffic job. And there are people like me who would have made lousy mothers in their early 20ies, but enjoy being an older mother. I would have loved to have a 3rd biological child, but early menopause put a stop to it. We are discussing becoming foster parents/adopt and older children would be totally ok (most want the cute babies) if we really feel that is what we should do. The one thing I miss for my boys is a real picture-book grandfather like my dad was one. Unfortunately he passed away when our older son was a baby (at age 85, being super-fit until he was diagnosed with pancreatic carcinoma). But I have friends who had kids very young and whose kids had to grow up w/o grandparents because some of their parents died at a very young age... So this is just the was it is now and it's fine.

Bottom line: There is no right moment to have children. I do have ?? When it comes to ivf or surrogates etc. in ones 50ies. But then again, who am I to judge??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 03:32 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,011,598 times
Why don't we accept as it is Janet's choice and mind our own business . Have babies in old age not a new thing as some other members says. I know many couples who given their butts to their jobs and got the babies at their late ages, as well who could not get pregnant due to whatever the reason and got the chance at their late ages.
Yes I agree it is lot of physical and mental work but it all depend on how you accept it. If you do it with loving and caring thoughts that will be more easy than you think, but start with complain an negative thoughts then walking to your own bed might be very tiresome. Well that is all what I think but I got my child in very early stage I think at some point better to have a kid in bit mature age than 20s.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:27 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Janet Jackson is a multimillionaire. She can have professional help to do all the actual WORK raising her children. That's not the same as a 50+ year-old woman caring for a baby 24/7. Women enjoy being grandmothers because when they get worn out they can hand the kids back. If a 50-year-old woman gives birth she will be eligible for Social Security before her child has a driver's license. Wouldn't that be fun? Being 65 when you're a working class person is not the same as being 65 when you're a rich celebrity.
Heaven forbid the child is disabled. Ours acts like a cranky five-year-old at times and she is 18. She'll be this way for the rest of her life. I had her when I was 24. Imagine having a cranky five-year-old when you're eligible for Social Security and beyond. You're 80 and you have a cranky five-year-old. You're right, though, at least Janet has money to deal with whatever happens.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:58 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,752 times
She is so old now though, why couldn't she have completed the tour then taken care of her family planning?

Poor business sense and lack of caring about her fans. Makes her late in life mommy hood look that much more selfish.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:14 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
why is no one talking about the birth defects!! The chances go way up. These celebrity moms are causing a misconception I think, about reality...
Yes way up to 1 in 26 having any sort of birth defect. That is less than 4% chance. The rate of miscarriage is far more likely at nearly 33% than birth defect.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:20 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senah View Post
Why does there have to be one right answer? Certainly looking at cultures without birth control, women have babies from their teens into their 40s. Now women and men can, for the most part, choose when best fits their lives. People make it work. Who is to say it is harder or easier one way or the other? A couple well off and with more time in their 40s could overcome being more physically tired if they have less stress and more time to exercise. It might be harder for a couple in NYC in their 20s trying to both work and pay for kids (or 30s) and be happy.

All depends on the lifestyle and the choices that make sense for the family.
Physically the chances of a woman becoming pregnant in her 40s are next to impossible and it is quite dangerous for the mom and the baby.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:27 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,141,237 times
She didn't say she was pregnant...she said she was "planning her family"....which could include adoption or surrogacy. If this means 50 is the new 40 in motherhood, then I guess it could also mean 80 is the new 70 or 90 is the new 80 for motherhood, since there is no age limit for adopting kids.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:42 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Physically the chances of a woman becoming pregnant in her 40s are next to impossible and it is quite dangerous for the mom and the baby.
Not true. There are many, many mothers who have borne healthy children while in their 40s, with no complications for mother or child. Modern medical advances have made child-bearing later in life much safer than was once the case - but even back in the mid-forties, my mother gave birth to me, her first and only child, when she was four months short of 40. I was healthy, weighed eight pounds and three ounces, and arrived the usual way within two hours of her entering the hospital (I was expected two weeks later - obviously a miscalculation - and my mother did not realize she had gone into labor about six hours before going to the hospital, after calling her doctor for advice with the "indigestion" she thought she was having).

I come from a longevious extended family, especially on the maternal side, with numerous healthy births to mothers in their early to mid-40s, so I have cousins near my own age who also had older parents. Many of my maternal relatives do not go fully gray until they are in the seventies or in some case, 80s - perhaps there is a gene for slow aging.

Now, if you check us out for bad knees, the story is very different. Those dang hereditary shallow trochear grooves mess us up big time!

Old 04-10-2016, 08:44 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattangirl View Post
Nature does not prevent women from bearing children after a certain age. The uterus does not age. It is conception and hormonal support that becomes more difficult with aging.
Yes, it absolutely does The uterus ages along with the rest of your body. The real issue, though, is a woman's eggs. They go down in number and quality as she ages. And, yes, hormones change. That's nature.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:46 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
While I agree that in my mid 50s I am much more patient than I was in my twenties and thirties, I do wonder how much of it is age and how much is the direct result of raising children. Would I be as patient now if I hadn't been through 25+ years of parenthood?
I was thinking the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting