Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 07:51 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,322,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Janet Jackson might soon become the new symbol of the rise of the 50-year-old mom.

The 49-year-old singer/songwriter, who turns 50 next month, announced to fans in a video on Twitter on Wednesday that she would be delaying the second leg of her "Unbreakable" world tour because she and her husband are focused on family planning.

The rise of the 50-year-old mom - CNN.com

The link had nothing to do with Janet Jackson so I don't know if she is planning on getting pregnant, adopting, using a surrogate or anything. I think if you are wealthy, 50 can be done because you can hire people to help you. I personally would never want to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 09:58 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,277,766 times
why is no one talking about the birth defects!! The chances go way up. These celebrity moms are causing a misconception I think, about reality...

Old 04-09-2016, 10:45 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
I think people are just more inclined to do what works for them, their family, and their life now. They don't feel like they have to do what everone else is doing. Motherhood at 20 is a good fit for some, 45 for others. I do think there comes a point where it's unfair on the kids if the mother is way over 50 when starting out, but it's really none of my business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
why is no one talking about the birth defects!! The chances go way up. These celebrity moms are causing a misconception I think, about reality...
There's plenty of reliable prenatal testing available now. Most (please note I did not say all) women choose it regardless of their age.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:56 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,594,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Well, I'm 40 and already have arthritis. I tire far more easily than I used to. I don't feel at all like I used to.
Eh, that kind of thing varies from person to person though. My sister is 31 and has had dodgy, weak ankles since the moment she began walking despite every other aspect of her being fine. I'm 28 and find my ankles occasionally giving way when running up stairs.

Anyway, I'd say no. I know plenty of people who have had children at 40 - not a single one at 50, or even 45. By your late 30s, the risk of birth defects increases noticeably, though by your mid-40s it's a significantly high risk.

The risk of infertility overpasses the risk of conceiving by your early 40s:

For everyone it's different, but as a general rule I would say - have kids before you're 40.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:51 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,880,136 times
I'm 41 and have 17 + 18 year olds. I could definitely handle a baby right now, no problem. But then I think about handling an 18 year old at 58 and shudder a bit. That's around the time I want to be thinking about retirement, not college expenses and launching a kid out into the world.

Having a baby at 50? Being 68 when they graduate high school? Unless you are very healthy and rather well-off, it sounds like a nightmare and really rather selfish. Even the chance of seeing your child get married are slim. Your grandkids can visit you in the nursing home or they will never get to have a grandparent at all.

Old 04-09-2016, 01:24 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,114,080 times
I have two girlfriends who had children at 40.

My one friend gets called her son's grandmother daily. He's ten now and she's fifty.

My other girlfriend is 51 with an 11 year old boy. She's so tired she can't see straight.

No, 50 is not the new 40 for motherhood.

Another male friend had his first child at 53.

He will be 71 when his son starts college.

Old 04-09-2016, 01:44 PM

499 posts, read 586,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
I'm 41 and have 17 + 18 year olds. I could definitely handle a baby right now, no problem. But then I think about handling an 18 year old at 58 and shudder a bit. That's around the time I want to be thinking about retirement, not college expenses and launching a kid out into the world.

Having a baby at 50? Being 68 when they graduate high school? Unless you are very healthy and rather well-off, it sounds like a nightmare and really rather selfish. Even the chance of seeing your child get married are slim. Your grandkids can visit you in the nursing home or they will never get to have a grandparent at all.
Exactly! Very selfish and quite unfair to the child. My older sister and older brother had their kids in their late 20s to mid 30s. My nieces and nephews have/had 15 - 23 more years with my parents as their grandparents than my daughter will have. I feel very sad about that (I'm in my mid 40's and she just turned 3). For me, it was a happy accident (we were actively using birth control) but I would never "plan" to have a baby in my 40s or God -forbid at 50. It is very, very, very challenging to be an older parent.

Old 04-09-2016, 01:59 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
No. I think 40 is already pushing it.

Old 04-09-2016, 02:22 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Janet Jackson might soon become the new symbol of the rise of the 50-year-old mom.

The 49-year-old singer/songwriter, who turns 50 next month, announced to fans in a video on Twitter on Wednesday that she would be delaying the second leg of her "Unbreakable" world tour because she and her husband are focused on family planning.

The rise of the 50-year-old mom - CNN.com
There's no word on how Jackson and her husband, 41-year-old Qatari billionaire Wissam Al Mana, hope to build a family, whether through natural means, fertility treatments, surrogacy or adoption.

Old 04-09-2016, 02:31 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,819,312 times
To each their own. People are living longer lives and in many cases they're enjoying more productive and healthy years.

That said, I can only say that as much as I've enjoyed fatherhood - and I most definitely have - I'm also enjoying the transition to life as the father of adult children. I'm 47, my two oldest children are freshmen in college, with my youngest a junior in high school.

I can't imagine becoming a parent again at my age. Oh, wait... I can imagine it (and it's a bad dream!) But no worries. I'm properly snipped, so that won't be happening.

The last one will be out the door when I'm 48...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting