Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 08:49 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times

Advertisements

Are you in NJ? My sis elementary school gets is every flipping year. High income, wealthy district, the kids get it every year. I swear its in the school itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 08:51 AM

5 posts, read 3,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I raised 4 kids in a Southern state and got *maybe* 2 lice warnings home a year. When a kid has lice, they contact parents to let them look out for it. So far no one has gotten in *knock on wood*

Last year we moved up north before school started. I swear we got 10 or more lice warnings per class. At one point, half the kids were out for lice. These aren't farm kids either. This year has been going on 2 weeks and we have our first lice warning (a kid in class has it).

Is it regional? Is lice more common in the north, even in warm months?

It probably can spread rapidly through a county although I don't know about a whole state.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:08 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,317,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Um, you do realize that farm kids are no more susceptible to get lice than city kids, right? Not sure why that comment was made.

Growing up, a few kids would get lice. When my kids went to school, there were a few kids each year who got them...the lice never showed any socio-economic preference, infecting across all income levels and living situations.
I'm not sure what the farm comment was all about either...

but just to add to what you said. Lice PREFER clean hair. It's easier for them to grab on to the hair shaft if hair is clean.

If anyone is concerned about your kids getting lice, let your kids use hair gel or hair spray when they go to school. Lice will bypass your kid and jump onto the little kid with the shiny clean hair next to them.

Anybody elses head getting itchy now or is it just me?

Last edited by elliedeee; 09-13-2016 at 09:41 AM..

Old 09-13-2016, 09:26 AM

247 posts, read 1,141,371 times
Ditto what the poster above said about clean hair. I only wash my kids hair a few times a week, and use lots of hair products on them. My kids have helmet hair sometimes, but we've been lice free!

Old 09-13-2016, 09:56 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post

but just to add to what you said. Lice PREFER clean hair. It's easier for them to grab on to the hair shaft if hair is clean.

If anyone is concerned about your kids getting lice, let your kids use hair gel or hair spray when they go to school. Lice will bypass your kid and jump onto the little kid with the shiny clean hair next to them.

It was just an off handed comment, as I already explained. When I lived on a farm, a lot of the kids who also lived around there got lice a lot. Its just what I was thinking about. But I didn't mean to imply kids who grow up on farms get lice a lot.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:52 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post

Up until now, I was just reading (not even commenting yet) & now I'M scratching!

I remember a few years ago when the elementary school sent home a warning I was complaining to my husband that just reading the warning made me feel itchy. He rolled his eyes & said "Your just dramatic; or paranoid!"!

I kept talking about it as I started checking the kids heads & noticed that he started scratching HIS head too (& no, nobody had them)!

Old 09-13-2016, 11:17 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,224,362 times
You need to teach ur kids to not lay on the floor at school specially if its carpet. And teach ur girls not to share hair brushes. I have never gotten lice.

I wish I had flip flops in gym to wear in the showers. I got athletes foot several times over the years.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:52 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
My mother is a school nurse. She says that usually it can be traced back to one daycare, Church group, carpool, etc...

It sounds like they have a source and they haven't zeroed in on it or haven't been able to make that source clean up.
I used to babysit for a family that got lice a lot. I think they just weren't getting rid of all of it when they treated for it. The mom's housekeeping was pretty random. I found a really old dead mouse in one of her kitchen cupboards once. I can imagine her not being focused enough to treat pillows, couches, hats, etc.

After the second time I got lice from those kids, I helped the mom get everyone lice free and wash all the bedding and everything we could think of...and then I never babysat for them again.

Old 09-13-2016, 02:56 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I used to babysit for a family that got lice a lot. I think they just weren't getting rid of all of it when they treated for it. The mom's housekeeping was pretty random. I found a really old dead mouse in one of her kitchen cupboards once. I can imagine her not being focused enough to treat pillows, couches, hats, etc.

After the second time I got lice from those kids, I helped the mom get everyone lice free and wash all the bedding and everything we could think of...and then I never babysat for them again.

I think I would have stopped after finding an old dead mouse in the kitchen cupboard. Yuck!

Old 09-13-2016, 03:30 PM

924 posts, read 752,195 times
In the southwestern part of the US here, not sure how common lice is in schools, but I'm thankful that I only had to deal with it once as a parent, back when my daughter was in preschool.

The school's policy was that if your child had lice, you were supposed to let the staff know about the situation. One of the other kids in my daughter's class apparently had lice, for whatever reason, the family didn't say anything, and so my daughter came home with it. (never found out who the "lice spreader" was)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting