Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 09:30 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times

Advertisements

I raised 4 kids in a Southern state and got *maybe* 2 lice warnings home a year. When a kid has lice, they contact parents to let them look out for it. So far no one has gotten in *knock on wood*

Last year we moved up north before school started. I swear we got 10 or more lice warnings per class. At one point, half the kids were out for lice. These aren't farm kids either. This year has been going on 2 weeks and we have our first lice warning (a kid in class has it).

Is it regional? Is lice more common in the north, even in warm months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 09:50 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
According to this, it's more prevalent in some southern states:

Interesting Lice Statistics - Lice Ladies Atlanta

We've lived in both the north and the south, and my kids have never had them. I'd knock wood, but at this point, their lice would be their problem.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:01 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times
lice have gps inside them and they aim for the really nasty rich kids. Its like glue.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:19 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Some schools will send kids home for lice and others won't. We never got any notifications about lice at my daughter's elementary school but I knew kids who lived on our block who had it all the time, and my daughter said the teachers would just tell them not to share hats or put their heads together.

You can get shampoo and a spray that are supposed to make your child's hair less attractive to lice.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:17 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
I remember in elementary school (in the Midwest) having to go to the nurses office as a class and be checked for lice at least 4 times each year. Although I don't remember discovering any lice during these checks, but they were always because someone in the class was out with lice.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:22 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I remember in elementary school (in the Midwest) having to go to the nurses office as a class and be checked for lice at least 4 times each year. Although I don't remember discovering any lice during these checks, but they were always because someone in the class was out with lice.
We had to do that too, and they would talk about how many cases of lice they found. When I was in elementary, I thought that meant suitcases full of lice and it was pretty terrifying to think of.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:01 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I raised 4 kids in a Southern state and got *maybe* 2 lice warnings home a year. When a kid has lice, they contact parents to let them look out for it. So far no one has gotten in *knock on wood*

Last year we moved up north before school started. I swear we got 10 or more lice warnings per class. At one point, half the kids were out for lice. These aren't farm kids either. This year has been going on 2 weeks and we have our first lice warning (a kid in class has it).

Is it regional? Is lice more common in the north, even in warm months?
Doubt it. The districts (or maybe states) probably have different protocol for sending out a warning. When my child was in elementary we had lice warnings at least 4 or 5 times a year (this was in Texas) and it could be based on one child in the school having them. Lice don't care what state your family lives in. Thank heavens my kid never got them...long thick hair at the time, would have been a nightmare!

Old 09-13-2016, 05:09 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
True story: last year they did a lice check at school and my kid was all clear. A couple of days later, she came down with lice. The irony that she probably caught it while waiting in line for a lice chec, lol.. Oh, and Robocomb is amazing; so much quicker and easier than dealing with those shampoos and sprays.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:20 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,641 times
Lice are not indigenous to any particular area. Schools tend to freak out with the no nit policy which I swear makes things worse.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:26 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
These aren't farm kids either.
Um, you do realize that farm kids are no more susceptible to get lice than city kids, right? Not sure why that comment was made.

Growing up, a few kids would get lice. When my kids went to school, there were a few kids each year who got them...the lice never showed any socio-economic preference, infecting across all income levels and living situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting