Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 07:34 PM

37,618 posts, read 46,016,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
I was wondering. I'm finding that, as a parent, my marriage with my spouse is suffering a bit. It's hard with the amount of time that kids take up, etc.

Common?
I'm sure it is for many. It never made my marriage harder; if anything it made a sinking ship stay afloat longer, (though that certainly was not the reason I had him). Kids change your lives, usually for the better. But it absolutely means a shift in priorities and time. How are you old enough to have a kid and not know this first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 07:57 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,894,421 times
Yep. My exhusband couldn't hack it. He really resented not being the center of attention. Put his own needs ahead of the kids many many times. If I could do it over again, I would endeavor to make him feel more included, but I'm not sure anything I could have done would have fixed it. To this day he still puts his own needs first.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:03 PM

473 posts, read 502,518 times
Really think it depends on parents. If you think dealing with children is work, probably gonna stress you. Try as you can to find some kid activities you enjoy as kids get older, until they are hard to like teens. May not stress you as badly.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:08 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,547,343 times
Yes, absolutely. Your time is not your own and won't be for years. You never stop worrying about your kids even if they are far away.

BUT!!! If you have a good marriage to begin with, you will have many wonderful times together as a family. The good times far outweigh the difficult times.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:12 PM

515 posts, read 624,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Yes, absolutely. Your time is not your own and won't be for years. You never stop worrying about your kids even if they are far away.

BUT!!! If you have a good marriage to begin with, you will have many wonderful times together as a family. The good times far outweigh the difficult times.
Everyone has a good marriage to begin with.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:29 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,935,593 times
Wow... consensus on City-Data! And rightly so.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrockfisher View Post
Everyone has a good marriage to begin with.
No, not everyone. People get married for different reasons. You never heard of "shotgun weddings"? They aren't rural legend.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I'm sure it is for many. It never made my marriage harder; if anything it made a sinking ship stay afloat longer, (though that certainly was not the reason I had him). Kids change your lives, usually for the better. But it absolutely means a shift in priorities and time. How are you old enough to have a kid and not know this first?
Reading between the lines, it doesn't sound like you are in the best position to know. You say it wasn't the case in your case, but... being co-parents isn't exactly the same thing as what everyone else is talking about.

Old 10-03-2016, 10:21 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,441,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Yep. My exhusband couldn't hack it. He really resented not being the center of attention. Put his own needs ahead of the kids many many times. If I could do it over again, I would endeavor to make him feel more included, but I'm not sure anything I could have done would have fixed it. To this day he still puts his own needs first.
Same here. My ex-husband can really only take care of himself, and he always needed to come first. I love being a parent, but I really wish my partner had been strong enough to be a parent, a husband, and an individual all at the same time.

Old 10-04-2016, 12:14 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times
Children are especially hard on marriages when both parents work, if only one parent does all the s--twork...I'm not just talking about housecleaning, laundry, cooking, but also if only one parent is the one who does all the pickup/drop-off at daycare or school, stays home with the sick kid, takes them to Dr., dentist, etc., assists with bathing, homework, etc. That gets old real fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting