Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 08:09 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,993,934 times

Advertisements

This is something that has bothered me for a long time. I really dislike those "reunion" videos when military members show up at schools, sporting events, etc, to surprise their families. In so many cases, the kids end up in tears, of happiness of course, but it still bugs me that families are not consulted beforehand and it seems to me like their privacy is being invaded for ratings. Then again, at least the serviceman or woman is in on it, and has made that choice.

But then today, I saw this:
https://gma.yahoo.com/twin-sisters-s...ifestyle.html#

Does it bother anybody else that kids are used this way? It's a wonderful thing of course, that the twin sisters are reunified. But they were so emotional, and it seems wrong to make a "feel good" story for the viewing audience at the expense of children. Again, obviously the parents were in on it, and didn't object.

Are you in favor of having such personal moments recorded for a tv audience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 03:14 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,520,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
This is something that has bothered me for a long time. I really dislike those "reunion" videos when military members show up at schools, sporting events, etc, to surprise their families. In so many cases, the kids end up in tears, of happiness of course, but it still bugs me that families are not consulted beforehand and it seems to me like their privacy is being invaded for ratings. Then again, at least the serviceman or woman is in on it, and has made that choice.

But then today, I saw this:
https://gma.yahoo.com/twin-sisters-s...ifestyle.html#

Does it bother anybody else that kids are used this way? It's a wonderful thing of course, that the twin sisters are reunified. But they were so emotional, and it seems wrong to make a "feel good" story for the viewing audience at the expense of children. Again, obviously the parents were in on it, and didn't object.

Are you in favor of having such personal moments recorded for a tv audience?
Saw that twin video yesterday. And I recognize what you are saying but the parents must give permission for the videos to be published. And in most of the service member videos a parent is in on it, like you say. It seems like it should be such a personal moment, doesn't it? I totally get that. And they always get to me, make me cry. I feel like I'm being emotionally manipulated in a way, at someone else's expense. The twin one really got to me though, felt like I was really invading in their space?

Old 01-12-2017, 06:23 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,971,968 times
I think the reunion's at sporting events mainly football are terrible. The NFL is paid in order for the reunion's to happen.

Then you have a story like this one....Surprise Military Reunions At NFL Games Reach Peak Bull****

It's all for show and to tug on people's heartstrings.

Reunions should be done in private. If you want to get the word out fine do so but without showing the reunion.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:46 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,193,080 times
That's the culture in America today. Reality shows, broadcast everything about your life on social media, one-up the next guy. Everything is a competition to be the most extreme, cutting edge, or trendy.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:34 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,067,356 times
I don't think it's cool at all. The example you mentioned is particularly exploitative.

I noticed that GMA is running yet another segment showing the girls after getting to know each other a bit.

A combination of factors is at play, IMHO. The eternal fascination with multiples, the purported feel-good story about righting a perceived wrong (twins separated), the drama of a ***live*** reunion, the transracial adoption angle. It would have been a healthier idea to let them meet each other in private and record it for broadcast.

It's manipulative enough with adults, but the fact that this happened to children is distasteful to me, too. But it all lines up for what GMA hopes will be the ultimate viral clickbait item, I guess. I am not in any way a fan of network shows, though, and the morning shows are by far the most disingenuous.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:23 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,378,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Dr. Nancy Segal (Professor of Developmental Psychology and Director of the Twin Studies Center, at California State University, Fullerton) was in on it and gave her approval.

It did seem a bit exploitative, but I'm not sure that we, as spectators, are in a position to know enough of the situation that our criticism would be useful. Of course that's never stopped anyone before.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:42 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,908,546 times
I hate those public surprise reunions! They are, with out a doubt, a traumatic experience for the kids. I get that they are heart warming, and bring tears to people's eyes (even mine) and grab a lot of attention. But I think they are wrong and highly unethical. Having a parent taken from you and poof, surprise they are back, without being able to process...how do you think that child feels? I mean, it shakes their sense of security in a big way. Its coded as trauma.

But I don't think kids should be actors either. I mean, a cute cameo here and there...but when a kid is acting in a serious role...I sit there and wonder how a parent can want and allow their child to go through all that.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:45 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,908,546 times
As to the original question (sorry was on a soap box)...that seems really exploitative too. They are too young to make the decision to meet on air, their parents...it should have been private. I have kids that age who are adopted and I would never approve of that. Adoption is already a difficult trauma...this is really out of line.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:59 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,405,603 times
People want to document their lives (overdocument, I daresay), and then these documents are published for vanity purposes. It is a sad statement on the desirability of celebrity in our culture, but it is nothing new.

Even back in Viking Scandinavia a person's reputation, their fame, was paramount as evidenced by the 75th stanza of the Havamal which is a collection of aphorisms describing the values and morals of the culture:

Cattle die [one's wealth, material accumulation] and kinsmen die,
thyself too soon must die,
but one thing never, I believe, will die, --
fair fame [reputation, rememberance] of one who has earned.

Old 01-13-2017, 12:14 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,067,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

Even back in Viking Scandinavia a person's reputation, their fame, was paramount as evidenced by the 75th stanza of the Havamal which is a collection of aphorisms ...
I was JUST about to say the same thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting