Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2017, 08:18 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,225,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
If you want to try to recover the deleted texts, you can run Dr.Fone on it (works on iPhones and Android devices). And that young man would cease having a cellphone if he were my son.
I was going to suggest getting rid of the land line.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:21 PM

18,551 posts, read 15,633,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
No, but harassing is and any 40 year old that wants to talk online for hours or over the phone IMO is harassing the youth. There is NO reason why a 40 year old woman should be calling and talking to a 16 yr old boy for 5 hours, talking online and texting him. PLUS, telling the boy her problems about how she's getting a divorce. And I find it hard to believe that anyone would think it's ok!
There is no such thing as consensual harassment. How do we know if OP's son was being harassed? It could well be the case, if he tried to push her away and she called repeatedly. In this case, yes, he can talk to the police and they'll take it from there.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:32 PM

3,260 posts, read 2,352,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
How do you know she's really 40? How do you know she's not some 16 year old girl catfishing? They met playing video games. I'd be interested to know what video game.
Why wouldn't a 16 year old girl tell a 16 year old boy her real age? Wouldn't that be a good thing if she was 16 and not 40?

Old 02-01-2017, 08:37 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,681,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I would call the woman and have a frank talk with her. TODAY.

^^^this, before you end up on Dateline NBC.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:39 PM

1,020 posts, read 811,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
I'm so incredibly shocked at how many of you just don't think that this is a big deal because we're talking about a male child and an adult female. I genuinely can't believe that you would not have already called the cops on a 40 year old man who was manipulating a 16 year old girl into sneaking around behind her parents back.
For me, it has nothing to do with gender, the genders could be reversed & I would say the same thing. There is no evidence of any crime. The idea that one should call the cops & throw around terms like "sexual predator" that can ruin someone's life, because there were phone conversations, is unbelievable.

The kid & the woman are gaming friends. It seems odd, it may be inappropriate, but the only thing that seems to have happened is a couple of phone convos & texts. No evidence anyone is manipulating anyone, they're talking on the phone b/c they're friends. That's what friends do. Also, as has been stated, even by the OP, there's no evidence the woman knows this is an underage kid. She may well think she's talking to a 23 yo, as the OP said her son has a deep voice. Absolutely question the kid, absolutely call the woman & inform her the kid is underage, but there's nothing to even call the cops about & I would say that if it was a 40yo male & a 16+ girl.

There's not even anything close to a law being broken here. Two friends, who maybe shouldn't be friends (but we don't even know that) are talking on the phone. Those are the facts that were presented. Some of those calls happened at night & in secret. Presumably with the 16 year old initiating or the parents would have heard the phone ring. It's not illegal for a 16 & 40 yo to talk. It's not illegal for them to be friends & as others have said, it may not even be illegal for them to have sex.

I sure wish OP would come back & update us as to whether she's called the woman to inform her that the boy is underage.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:49 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,973,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
Why wouldn't a 16 year old girl tell a 16 year old boy her real age? Wouldn't that be a good thing if she was 16 and not 40?
People lie about things online all the time. Maybe it's two 16 year olds having some fun with some random person they met online. He doesn't know what's true and not true does he? Maybe it's a 12 year old. I sound very young over the phone and always have but I am in my early 40's.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:51 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,519,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I would not call the cops on that either, unless there was evidence of illegal activity going on and it seemed worth prosecuting. It is not a gender issue, it is an issue of the rights we all have in a democratic society. I'm sorry if you have forgotten that creepy and suspicious does not equal proven illegal. It's the price you pay for democracy - you cannot take a legal action against someone solely for being creepy and inappropriate.
Never heard of see something, say something? This is suspicious behavior. Let the police decide whether anything illegal has taken place, instead of brushing over it and hoping everyone told the truth. Imagine 10 years down the line and the kid tells you something untoward was happening and they just didn't understand that at the time. The police have officers who are trained to handle these situations because they know that its something that is easily concealed and secretive by nature.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:09 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,798,255 times
There is nothing wrong with an older person being friends with a younger person.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:38 AM

1,770 posts, read 1,668,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
All of the people who want to involve the cops: Can you please state the penal code that the woman is violating? He is 16. In most of the states she can even have sex with him without any legal consequences.
Exactly.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:14 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,660,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
Never heard of see something, say something? This is suspicious behavior. Let the police decide whether anything illegal has taken place, instead of brushing over it and hoping everyone told the truth. Imagine 10 years down the line and the kid tells you something untoward was happening and they just didn't understand that at the time. The police have officers who are trained to handle these situations because they know that its something that is easily concealed and secretive by nature.
I think the police has much more important things to do instead of messing around with phone talks between people without any evidence of a crime. Stop wasting our taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting