Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2017, 11:55 AM

160 posts, read 84,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
It's hard to trust when text messages are being deleted, and these phone calls are only happening in the middle of the night. IJS

Most teenagers delete text messages when their friends ask to see their phone.

It's not unusual. It bugs me, but it's not unusual.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:55 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald2 View Post
So I only read the first 3 pages of this topic, but I have a question:

What illegal action took place here? All that is included in the first post is they talk a lot.

Also, in some states, isn't the age of consent 16 anyway?

Everyone seems to encourage this person to call the police. Say they do. What's the charge going to be?
Quote:
The more I think about this phone call to the woman. Here is another wrinkle:

How does the woman know the boy really is 16 if the mom tells her? Maybe the boy is 19 and the mom hates the woman and just wanted to destroy the relationship.

That is certainly a plausible scenario as most parents hate their college kid's relationships.
Those points have been beaten to death earlier in the thread. You need to read past page 3. It's been resolved.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:58 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
Quote:
She might have just said 40s and the son forgot and said 40 or said 40 because that is the youngest he could honestly say.

Maybe the woman did not ask for his age because she did not want to give her age.

That is pretty logical because most women hate giving their true age.
If you'd have actually read the whole thread, you'd know that she knew he was under 18 at least because she indicated they couldn't meet up until he was 18.

Honestly. It's clear the relationship was inappropriate and the boy was in over his head emotionally. Thankfully the parents stepped in and are monitoring the situation. I agree that he might need some temporary counseling to deal with it since he indicates he feels like he lost his best friend.

I also agree with the poster who said he most likely knew, deep down, that the relationship was not an appropriate one and his mentioning to his parents was based on that knowledge.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
The hypothetical situation you keep referring to has nothing to do with the OP. This woman is not a mom of any of their son's friends, and not even someone they know at all.

There is NO level of trust between the OP and this person her son is talking to, and despite your efforts to rationalize these alarming circumstances, the parents here have every reason to be suspicious.

His point probably is that visibility has no correlation to trust.

The next to door neighbor could be a serial killer and she could be an angel.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
I dunno about you, but I intend to make sure my kids are in bed by 10. Teenagers need their sleep and high schools (around here at least) start pretty freakin early.
How many 16-year olds go to sleep at 10 PM?

Old 02-03-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Those points have been beaten to death earlier in the thread. You need to read past page 3. It's been resolved.
No kidding. And why someone would go to the trouble of creating an account just to respond to this thread, without bothering to read it in it's entirety is perplexing.

Old 02-03-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stLight View Post
Lets try to understand the woman: 40 yrs old and married. Possibility: abused by husband, neglected (he works to much/travel/not sexually interested), she abuses him (verbal/physical) and no longer respect and/or views him as worthy companion, or she is promiscuous inaddition seeing a young untouched mind is a good clean start where she may be able to mold for the best or worst.

Dad's "End It" is straight to the point yet not the correct way to handle it. The variable is his son is young and like most young males being able to be unvirginized is the gold mine of all. Day and mom should strategically approach maybe deal with some sort of advisor to approach their son.

Plus parent should interview the 40 yr old lady to ask her why the young age interest. Hope this help.

I like to talk to younger people because they seem to rationally talk about most issues.

A lot of older people rationalize everything in the context of because they need money and/or are so burnt out by being a small CEO that they are in a pissy mood about everything.

In short, they are not "bought" yet. With that said, I probably would not go to them for advice on relationships, but hey, maybe she just needed to vent to someone who isn't going to hold it over their head in the future. Everyone has their own opinion.

Old 02-03-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
If you'd have actually read the whole thread, you'd know that she knew he was under 18 at least because she indicated they couldn't meet up until he was 18.

Honestly. It's clear the relationship was inappropriate and the boy was in over his head emotionally. Thankfully the parents stepped in and are monitoring the situation. I agree that he might need some temporary counseling to deal with it since he indicates he feels like he lost his best friend.

I also agree with the poster who said he most likely knew, deep down, that the relationship was not an appropriate one and his mentioning to his parents was based on that knowledge.

I'm sorry I didn't read 250 posts before making one contribution.

Old 02-03-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
The woman is the adult, and she is the one who should make sure it doesn't continue. When mom and dad call her and inform her that she is talking to a minor, she should break it off either because she really didn't know he was that young, or at the very least, because it would be stupid of her to continue, knowing that his parents are on to her.
Yeah because making the woman seem "forbidden" when he is probably going to college in 18 months and can travel ANYWHERE he wants is a GREAT idea!

He's 16, not 13.

Old 02-03-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry I didn't read 250 posts before making one contribution.
Actually, 12 contributions. You are one of the top contributors to the thread. That's what makes it curious. You've invested a good amount of energy defending the situation, without bothering to read much in the way of what the actual situation entailed or how the OP ultimately handled it.

Last edited by maciesmom; 02-03-2017 at 01:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting