Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 08:44 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,510,717 times

Advertisements

Re-read the rules and talk to the teacher. It does not sound appropriate for a kid in Kinder to talk to a judge that long. I don't think Kinders should be a part of it. If they are-that is simply ridiculous and a school idea gone wrong.

My kindergartener won't talk to strangers. She probably won't do well when the judge (stranger) comes around to listen to her. She doesn't know how to read, type, or write, so creating a trifold display is out (unless we do all the work as parents). I'm not sure how she would conduct an experiment?

And frankly, who has time for this nonsense anyway?

Don't get me wrong, I like science fair. I really really like it. However, I also recognize that it is a huge time commitment that we don't have this right, now now.. And how it's being run is not age appropriate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 08:56 AM

738 posts, read 585,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
I have no advice, but just want comment...children in kindergarten are now required to participate in the science fair?

It's been a long time since I've had school-age children, but...wow.

I would keep it simple, like the seed idea. Geeze. In first grade, are they expected to know coding?

I'd suggest growing seeds in soil with salt, or some other inhibiting substance added to the water, then after some period of time, weighing the plant.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:01 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
I thought this all sounded familiar: PTAs & Science Fair
Same topic, same OP 5 months ago.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:13 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,760,204 times
Another idea for Kindergarten appropriate science experiments is mixing colors to see what color they make. I did this with my kindergartener in the kitchen with water and food coloring. I could see getting a tri-fold and some finger paints, and letting my kiddo mix finger paints on the tri fold to see what color they make, then using a sharpie to label it. And, done. Turn it in, and don't worry about it any more.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:16 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,653,765 times
Maybe it's really a Social-Science project and the School is using annoyed parental responses as data.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:31 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I thought this all sounded familiar: PTAs & Science Fair
Same topic, same OP 5 months ago.
So what's up with that? Either the OP is obsessed with science fairs or is reliving the same day over and over. Actually seems many posters are doing that. I hope it's not contagious. Maybe we can do an experiment,and find out.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:24 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
So what's up with that? Either the OP is obsessed with science fairs or is reliving the same day over and over. Actually seems many posters are doing that. I hope it's not contagious. Maybe we can do an experiment,and find out.

Develop your proposal and run it by the Committee. We'll let you know if it's Go/No Go within 15 days after submission.

And Good Luck.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:41 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,961,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
He is just obsessed over the PTA in general. He has at least one or two other threads just about the PTA.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:17 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
Another idea for Kindergarten appropriate science experiments is mixing colors to see what color they make. I did this with my kindergartener in the kitchen with water and food coloring. I could see getting a tri-fold and some finger paints, and letting my kiddo mix finger paints on the tri fold to see what color they make, then using a sharpie to label it. And, done. Turn it in, and don't worry about it any more.
Bingo!

This does not need to be rocket science, just a fun, kid friendly project.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:33 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
The OP still hasn't clarified if this is required. I'm going to take a wild guess that if it was required, the teacher would have assigned it. Since it is a PTSA event, I'm 99% sure it's optional, which makes this whole thread and the other one, totally irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting